PDA

View Full Version : Toto Drake Leaking Under Tank

Mike_D
05-21-2012, 03:05 AM
I have a Toto Drake and noticed that it was leaking slowly where the big white nut contacts the bottom of the tank. I tightened it and it seemed like it was fixed but 12 hours later it was still leaking. I don't want to tighten it too much in case it cracks the tank. There seems to be something wrong with the seal in that location I would assume. Would it be best to take the whole assembly out? Any advice would be appreciated.

Here's a picture :
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/981/20120521064543.jpg

http://www.terrylove.com/images/homeowner/mike_d.jpg

Thanks,

Mike

Terry
05-21-2012, 12:12 PM
I would spin the nut off and remove the fill valve.
Check the inside of the tank for smoothness and reassemble.

jadnashua
05-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Leaks can be misleading as to where they are coming from...check the tank mounting bolts, too. The common mistake there is to install a metal washer inside the tank...doing that on top of the rubber gasket is an almost certain leak.

While not common, the tank could have a hairline crack in it. Much more common on those shipped directly to you from an internet source than one you pick up from a local supplier, but not impossible. Toto's QA/QC is top line, but problems do occur - no manufactured product is 100%, and if it is, it's still subject to handling issues during delivery. Hopefully, all you need is to tighten things up.

Mike_D
05-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Thank you very much guys. I emailed Toto and they said to just tighten it until it stops leaking. I tightened it some more and it seems to be good for now but I will wait and see what happens in the next 48 hours.

Thanks again,

Mike D

red92s
05-22-2012, 06:02 AM
Do you use any drop-in chlorine tablets in the tank?

Mike_D
05-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Thank you for the suggestions guys. I simply tightened it and have not had leaks since. Will definitely keep an eye on it though.

red92s, I do not use chlorine tablets.

Terry
05-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Well, that was a quick fix.
I've never had the fill valve nut leak before on those tanks. It looks like the black mark on the fill valve nut and tank were a little offset. Normally from the factory they line up.