Water Heater Explosion

Users who are viewing this thread

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Why you should always use a competent plumber !!!!!! OR How the handyman could hurt you.

Four hurt as water heater explodes
Steam-powered tank rockets out of Burien store and over 6 lanes of traffic

Saturday, July 28, 2001

By ELAINE PORTERFIELD, PAUL SHUKOVSKY AND LEWIS KAMB
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTERS

BURIEN -- Inside the Taqueria Zacatecas Mexican restaurant, Jorge Herrera was busy preparing meals when the walls suddenly blew apart.

A block away, at Burien Toyota, sales manager Bobby Lynn was holding his regular Friday morning sales meeting when the building began to shake.

And at the Carniceria Zacatecas butcher shop, Susana Randall was buying meat when she heard an explosion.

"There was glass, everything flying all over the place," Randall said. "I feel very lucky that I wasn't hurt."

And so it was yesterday morning, when a hot water heater exploded and blasted through the roof of Cuautla Video.

Puget Sound Energy workers examine a water heater tank in a parking lot in Burien, a block away from Cuautla Video, where it was before it exploded yesterday morning. Paul Kitagaki Jr. / Seattle Post-Intelligencer
Click for larger photo
The steam-powered tank hurtled across the busy intersection at First Avenue South and South 152nd Street -- over at least six lanes of traffic -- before landing more than 439 feet away in the parking lot of a Pizza Hut.

The tank then tumbled another 25 feet before coming to rest.

Four people were injured in the blast. Three were treated and released from a local hospital, but one woman was admitted to Harborview Medical Center with second-degree burns to her arm.

The powerful blast occurred at 10:23 a.m. at Plaza Zacatecas -- a small strip mall that includes four Mexican American-run businesses: a video store, a butcher shop, a Mexican restaurant and a shop that sold clothing and other items.

Initially, the blast was thought to have been caused by natural gas, but an investigation quickly ruled that out. Authorities said a plumber had been in the building the day before the blast, and they were trying to determine whether the electric hot-water heater had been worked on.

"The pressure relief valve had been capped, and the tank was partially drained of water," said Doug Hudson, the battalion chief of King County Fire District 2. "It built up steam pressure. It was a steam explosion."

Water heaters are equipped with pressure-relief valves -- typically placed on the top of the heat. The valves are designed to open immediately to relieve pressure if steam builds up in the heaters.

Although rare, pressure explosions of water heaters do occur.

In 1993, for example, a 40-year-old water heater exploded in a home in South St. Paul, Minn. The 200-pound tank shot through a floor, ceiling and roof like a missile.

The explosion shot the heater 150 feet in the air. It destroyed the home, slightly injured two people and killed the family beagle.

Yesterday's explosion blew off the front of the video store and spewed shattered glass across the parking lot. It also blasted a hole through the cinderblock wall making up the rear of the complex.

Other nearby businesses were evacuated, and utility workers shut off gas at the building, located across the street from Highline High School.

"It was pretty quiet, then all of a sudden there was this huge explosion," said Randall, the woman buying meat inside the butcher shop at the time of the blast.

Randall said another customer in the shop, a man she didn't know, suffered a cut on his head when he was hit by flying debris. A cashier in the butcher shop also suffered cuts, she said.

A woman who owned the video store suffered the worst injuries, witnesses said.

Puget Sound Energy workers examine a water heater tank in a parking lot in Burien, a block away from Cuautla Video, where it was before it exploded yesterday morning. Paul Kitagaki Jr. / Seattle Post-Intelligencer
Click for larger photo
"She was covered with dust and had bad burns on her arm," Randall said.

The woman was taken to Harborview Medical Center, where she was listed in stable condition.

Three others -- Monica Caro, 29; Juan Licona, 39; and Imelda Vyrra, 41 -- were taken to Highline Community Hospital, where they were all treated and released.

Yesterday afternoon, Caro was sitting in the hospital's waiting room, holding a bag of ice on her head.

She was working as a waitress inside the strip mall restaurant when the explosion ripped through the building.

Asked what hit her head, she shrugged and said, "I don't know, it was so fast. And I came out very, very fast. I was very, very scared."

Moments before the explosion, Vidal Cornejo drove up to the strip mall with his wife, Maria, and his two sons Issac, 4, and Abraham, 1.

Cornejo left his family in the car and went into the butcher shop to buy some meat when he suddenly found himself knocked to the floor as the store disintegrated around him.

"I jumped up and ran out," Cornejo said in a combination of Spanish and English.

Cornejo, who was uninjured, stood across the street yesterday afternoon, staring glumly at his red Nissan parked in front of the devastated strip mall.

Although the back end looked all right, the front of the car was hidden from view by rubble.

"My family is OK," Cornejo said. "My car, I am waiting."

John Bellamy, who works on the other side of the alley from the strip mall in a Speedy Auto Glass store, was getting ready to install a windshield when there was a "whoomph" sound followed immediately by intense pressure.

Blown to the floor, Bellamy "turned and saw everything flying at me."

He followed instructions perfectly when his manager, Bill Blazekovich, yelled for him to "get out of there, John."

The area where Bellamy had been standing was littered with shards of glass and chunks of concrete blasted from the strip mall wall.

Bellamy was shaken, but not injured.

One man said he heard the explosion in his apartment four blocks away.

Meanwhile, at Burien Toyota, Lynn, the sales manager holding yesterday's meeting, was amazed at his fast-moving crew.

"I've never seen 18 guys' butts come out of their chairs so fast," Lynn said.

Last edited by a moderator:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Interesting read. A few years ago there was a small tank (10 gallon or less) that exploded in a school cafateria kitchen. The explosion blew out the block wall that it was next to (or mounted on) but it wasn't during a lunch period so no kids were hurt and I don't think the staff suffered either. Someone (janitor?) capped the T&P valve because it was leaking. If I can find the article I'll post back with a link. My former mentor used to impress on me that water heaters are just this side of being a bomb.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I wonder..how many per year happens...

I wonder if it was the plumber who screwed the pooch here

or was it the Mexicans pinching a penny at the restraunt...

I wonder if how often this happens in the country?

I got two of them in my front window that I ran across
over the years, but I havent seen any others..

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on
the pics to enlarge them

http://www.weilhammerplumbing.com/home/

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
explosion

In the 50's, when the Southern states decided an electric heater was as safe as a light bulb and removed the requirement for a T&P valve, Domestic Engineering magazine had pictures of destroyed houses, and dead bodies, just about every week.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
T&p

The problem is that some calcify to the point that they cannot open even to drip, much less discharge if there should be a real problem with the water heater.

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
I can't find the origin right now, but I remember from my apprenticeship that relief valves must be operated periodically (monthly?) and inspected or rebuilt every 3 years.

Here's some info from those yellow tags that nobody reads.

http://www.wattsreg.com/pdf/ES-10L-100XL.pdf

WARNING: Following installation, The valve lever MUST
be operated AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR by the hot water
tank owner to ensure that the water-ways are clear.
Certain naturally occurring mineral deposits may adhere to the
valve, rendering it inoperative. When manually operating the
lever, water will discharge and precautions must be taken to
avoid contact with hot water and to avoid water damage.
BEFORE operating lever, check to see that a discharge line is
connected to this valve directing the flow of hot water from the
valve to a proper place of disposal otherwise personal injury
may result. If no water flows, valve is inoperative. TURN OFF
THE WATER HEATER AND CALL A PLUMBER IMMEDIATELY.
This device is designed for emergency safety relief and shall
not be used as an operating control.

Found something on ASME rated valves that correlates to what I remember.

http://www.wattsreg.com/pdf/ES-40-140-240-340.pdf

Temperature and Pressure Relief Valves should be inspected AT LEAST ONCE EVERY THREE YEARS, and replaced, if necessary, by a licensed plumbing
contractor or qualified service technician, to ensure that the product has not been affected by corrosive water conditions and to ensure that the valve
and discharge line have not been altered or tampered with illegally. Certain naturally occurring conditions may corrode the valve or its components over
time, rendering the valve inoperative. Such conditions can only be detected if the valve and its components are physically removed and inspected. Do not
attempt to conduct an inspection on your own. Contact your plumbing contractor for a reinspection to assure continuing safety.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
aint gonna hapen

never has and never will...

no body is going to allow a plumber to jab them
every 3 years for a service call to change out
those valves

and I NEVER , EVER touch them when I
do a service call, becasue they will never reset
and then its another trip out to change it on another day..

the water heaters I have shown that
exploded are good examples of two old units
that were never serviced...

they had nice looking t+p valves on them but failed when they
were called upon to work...
--------------------------------------------------

Basically,, its like trying to force everyone drive at 55mph....

it aint going to happen, even though everyone KNOWS
that it would save countless lives every year....and lots of
gasoline........no body really cares.

we just accept the fatalities as part of life in the fast lane..

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
wh

Doesn't the phrase, "examples of older units that were not serviced", imply that the relief valve should have been tested or inspected on a periodic basis? It is a SAFETY DEVICE, to protect when something else fails, and that failure would not necessarily be because of lack of maintenance. I had a customer whose 3 year old water heater's thermostat broke so the burner would turn off. In her case the relief valve discharge was buried someplace and was plugged up or capped off so it could not operate at all, much less properly. Fortunately, the plumber had not made a good joint at one of the elbows so it could leak just enough that she had to call for service. I told her that if that elbow had not leaked to warn her, that she and her house would have been on the morning news.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I love that ad.

This Mythbusters episode is pretty impressive. The thing blows at 315psi and shoots some 500 feet into the air. It produces over 100g of shock wave, measured about 5 feet away, a lethal amount.

For those with an incredibly-short attention span, start at 1:20.

The first time I saw this video, I went and doublechecked the t&p valve on the water heater in the basement.

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most people are clueless, I've had customers tell me they put plugs into PRVs to keep them from dripping.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks