Hot water tank in bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Austin316noc

Reaction score
I live in Pennsylvania and I am looking at selling my house in about 6 months from now. Currently my hot water tank is in my bathroom, right on the other side of the wall from my shower. I was told that I would not be allowed to sell the house with the hot water tank in the bathroom and that it will have to be moved due to state building codes.

I have 2 questions. Is there such a law? And if there is, is there anyway around it without moving the hot water tank to a different room?

I have tried to research the subject online, but have been unsuccessful. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Where did the info come from.

I know many homes where the heater backs up to the bathroom.

I am going to guess that the info is wrong.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water heater

Water heaters are not allowed to be installed in "sealed" habitable rooms. Bedrooms and bathrooms are two locations that are prohibited because the combustion could cause a carbon monoxide condition and kill the occupants of the room. You should be able to get approval for a heater with a sealed combustion system that draws outside air in and vents to the outside with no connection with the room's air supply.

Austin316noc

Reaction score
water heater

Do you know who I would have to ask for permission to install a sealed combustion system? Would it be the City council or some other governing body?

Also the hot water heater is in a closet in the bathroom. Would I be able to put a vent in this closet to the outside air and then put up a door to the closet that stops airflow from the closet to the rest of the bathroom, or is the sealed combustion unit the only option.

Austin316noc

Reaction score
Water Tank

What about one of those tankless water heaters. Do you think that would be an option. I am looking for the cheapest way out of this situation.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
austin316noc said:
What about one of those tankless water heaters. Do you think that would be an option. I am looking for the cheapest way out of this situation.
I think the tankless gas models are geting better. I personally don't really care for the electric tankless - they suck up alot of power and I haven't had real good experience with them lasting more than 2 years.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

austin316noc said:
Do you know who I would have to ask for permission to install a sealed combustion system? Would it be the City council or some other governing body?

Also the hot water heater is in a closet in the bathroom. Would I be able to put a vent in this closet to the outside air and then put up a door to the closet that stops airflow from the closet to the rest of the bathroom, or is the sealed combustion unit the only option.

Your city building department would be the ones to query about a sealed combustion heater. The only way to make the present installation acceptable would be to seal the existing door and make a new one on the outside of the house. The water heater cannot have any access, even potential access, to the bathroom.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks