BFG Gas Thermostat issues

Users who are viewing this thread

janco

Reaction score
Hi

I have an American Hot water heater, and the pilot kept going out, I could relight it tho. Finally it would not stay lit, it would go on, but when I released the button, it went out.

Got the BFG conversion kit, installed, all worked, but gas leak. I realized the pilot tube was slightly bent, and wouldn't go thru ferule tube

Ordeered another kit, installed, all worked. hot shower. But the next morning, the pilot was out. again I could not get the pilot to stay on, it would light, but not stay on when I released the button.

Called American hot water, very helpful, says likely the gas thrmostat unit after we try all sorts of things. So I buy one, install it, and guess what, the pilot will not stay on! Same problem as before. Called Am water again, go thru a zillion things, he says the thermostat I got must be defective.

I have cleaned the flame valve, and bypassed the reset button, same issue, it won't keep light when you release the button. Plan to get another, but curious if any other ideas> It is most odd to me that the thing worked when I installed the new conversion kits both times, but then not the next day for the second one. don't know re first kit, it worked once, and diidin't try again since it leaked.

thanks much, J

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When I diagnose that sort of problem, I use my torch to heat the thermocouple to see if the pilot burner is doing it job. Without being there to do my own tests, I cannot diagnose the problem by using your description. Water heater "customer service" techs use a brief check list to decide what is wrong, but what you tell THEM may not be the proper thing to figure out your problem. But, then, I would NOT spend very much time and very little money, before the heater went into the trash bin.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There has been a LOT of problems with that genre of water heaters ( A. O. Smith Company, brands whirlpool, american,state, etc.). I don't know if it is all totally resolved. You probably need an authorized factory tech. who has access to all the latest revisions and parts info.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks