Close Nipple - Yay or Nay

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
I recall reading that close nipples had no strength - just merely due to it being all thread.

Baseboards - 1/2 FIP
Rough In - 3/4 Pex

They don't make a 3/4 Pex to 1/2 Male Adapter so....

1/2 close nipple to 1/2-3/4 Red Brass Adapter.
Yay or connect it with a non close nipple ?

Last edited:

Chefwong

Reaction score
I knew the comment about threads on any pipe would be a weak point.
I can't recall the thread, but in reading the statement about the close nipple - weak part (this was the info) I remembered for reference. I suppose how much torque was applied could have come into play.

Longer nipple is a option....I need to test fit and see how much or how little play I have

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any nipple is weakest at the threads...neither a long one nor a close nipple is stronger than the other. You use what you need to.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Many years ago when galvanized pipe was the only thing to use, I learned to shy away from close nipples, but not because of weak threads at the end. Problem was the difficulty in using a pipe wrench on them. It was very easy to jam the threads on one side or the other. This may have just been my short comings using a pipe wrench, but it was usually just as easy to use a short nipple which has just a bit of unthreaded pipe in the center and allows for a pipe wrench to grab without messing up threads. Granted there might a few times a close nipple is required because of space.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When dealing with a short nipple, you either use an internal pipe wrench or, probably more common, use the thing you are attaching to it as the 'wrench' or flats to tighten both ends into their respective female fittings.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Apparently no one here is familiar with "butt" nipples which were even shorter than close nipples. Saying they are "weaker" than anything else is a specious argument.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks