problems with hot water in shower

Users who are viewing this thread

cdog

Reaction score
All,

When I turn on the hot water in the shower, I initially get a nice flow (when the water is still cold). Then as the water heats up, the flow rate drops significantly. I have to keep turning up the valve to compensate for the reduced flow.

Do I have the wrong type of valve for hot water? What could be happening? The shower head is a new Price Pfister, but I bought the valves separately from Home Depot.

Thanks,

Cdog

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
faucet

Tell us the kind of valves your talking about.

Are the new.

Some kinds of rubber bib washers can swell up when they get hot and that can reduce the valve opening and cause you to readjust for temperature.
If thats the case, replace the washer with a washer of different material......

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If your shower is the two handle type, and uses "regular" flat washers, change from black to red or blue to minimize the problem described by plumber1.

cdog

Reaction score
That must be it. The valves were pretty generic, sold at Home Depot. They did have black, flat washers. I'll try swapping out the washers.

Thanks,

C

cdog

Reaction score
Yes - I am referring to the valve inside the wall. I had to change it when I put new fixtures in. The old valves were not compatible with the new handles.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks