DWV and rough in for a 2 story addition...could use a critique

Users who are viewing this thread

rxharr6

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I just got a shell of an addition built and now a need to begin the work I can't afford to pay anyone else to do. I have completed a few rough ins and a couple complete plumbs in the past but those were mostly straight forward and the stack was there to tap into. So before I jump into this two story 2 bathroom I thought it would be good to get some input from this forum and make any adjustments that might be needed before I get out the tools.
Here is an image of the plan at this point. I have colored everything that is dry-vent green in case that isn't obvious. The stack is 3" and vents through the roof, the rest is 2"
So, anything jump out as ill conceived?
Thanks in advance!

plumbing-Plan.jpg

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
And... all of those fittings on the first floor need to be 10 pipe diameters from the vertical stack that comes down from the 2nd floor

rxharr6

Reaction score
OK, thanks, had an alternate version with a toilet vent but wasn't sure about need...but now with Tom's comment below I have some re-work to do...but with a vent on the downstairs toilet of course!

rxharr6

Reaction score
Thanks Tom, just studies up on the code and in my Virginia version of the UPC the section I assume you are referring to is "704.3 connections to offsets and bases of stacks"...hadn't read that the way you explain so thanks for the redirect. Of course that means back to the drawing board ... :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That would be typical of the IPC, but a toilet does NOT need a vent to "prevent siphonage" because that is what makes it work, but the lack of a vent at the downstairs one does NOTHING to minimize the effects of positive pressure caused by operation of the upper floor plumbing.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've seen situations where the upstairs toilet will affect the water level of the toilet below it.
If it were my home, it would be vented. The push of air down the line does have an affect, especially with the newer toilets and bowls. IPC may want to rethink this, or are they stuck in the past with the five gallon bowl thinking?

rxharr6

Reaction score
Thanks for all the insight folks. I did a bit of re-work and I think I can have my cake and vent it too with this design change:

Plumbing-10.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks