toilet no flush

Users who are viewing this thread

byrnezy

Reaction score
1st time here looks like a great site , hope someone can find a simple fix to this problem.
its a new house basement rough in i have finished the bathroom every thing works fine except toilet, i can run a garden hose down toilet flange all day with the sink running as well also through 5gal out of a bucket [no gurgling or backing up at all] but when toilet is installed it just fills up bowl and will drain within 10-15min, i put a 2nd toilet on thinking i had a bad toilet but same problem the sink is 2ft away and the tub is about 2ft as well, theres a 2'' what i think is a wet vent going up from the sink, any ideas,
thanks Mike

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It sounds like you installed the toilet on top of a floor drain "P" trap. If so, it will NEVER flush properly, until the trap is removed. Otherwise the system is "air bound" because of the lack of a vent, which you supply when you take the toilet off the floor and run water into the drain.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
With the toilet off, look down the drain to see if there's any standing water...if there is, there's either a backup or there's a trap. Since it accepts water and doesn't back up, the biggest likelyhood is that there's a trap, and as HJ said, that will never work with a toilet.

byrnezy

Reaction score
not a floor drain

sorry for taking so long had trouble with password. it isn't a floor drain and i cant see standing water cause it has a elbow off the flange there is a sewer smell though. when i put the toilet back on i reused wax seal there was a small leak but toilet flushed when i replaced new seal we were back to no flush , it was roughed in by a big developer and i have done many basements without ever haveing a problem, could they have not vented . as i said there is no problem with sink or shower but then again there open to air right? the toilet was moved back 7'' this was done with 2 90degree elbows would this create that problem?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Maybe...there's a limit on how many degrees you can change the direction of a drain line without a cleanout. Plus, two of those right next to each other would likely severely slow things down. A toilet relies on the start of the flush creating a siphoning to help pull the water out of it. If it never reaches the proper velocity, it won't flush, but would drain back to the normal water height in the bowl. Put a big obstruction in the line with back to back 90's, and I think you've identified your problem.

One of the pros will weigh in to confirm or conflict with that thought.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks