Natural Gas Control Valve Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
If they leak do you replace them period? If they only leak alittle bit then I leave them. Like 150 cubic centimeters per hour I just leave it.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
If they leak do you replace them period? If they only leak alittle bit then I leave them. Like 150 cubic centimeters per hour I just leave it.
Not in the trades, but if I were I would replace it free of charge before I thought about walking away...and no, I wouldn't be the lowest bidder on every job.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
How would you live with yourself if the next day the house blew up and killed the entire family? Suppose you took you truck to a repair shop to have a radiator hose replaced and the mechanic found just a small gas leak dripping fuel on the manifold. Would you expect him to leave it? Are you so darn afraid to do something that you might not get paid for that you would allow a potential fatal condition exist?

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
150 cc per hour isn't going to blow up anything. It will annoy the hell out of those of us with sensitive noses, and I personally
would track it down no matter what the cost and replace it.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't know how to measure 150 cc per hour, but if you can smell gas, that is not acceptable or safe.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I replace it for two reasons, one it's leaking and leaks never get better over time and two.....money

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
How would you live with yourself if the next day the house blew up and killed the entire family? Suppose you took you truck to a repair shop to have a radiator hose replaced and the mechanic found just a small gas leak dripping fuel on the manifold. Would you expect him to leave it? Are you so darn afraid to do something that you might not get paid for that you would allow a potential fatal condition exist?

LOL

See AGA STANDARD Z21.21

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
The AGA ASSOCIATION and ANSI STANDARDS allow for 200 cubic centimeters per hour of
external gas leakage when pressure of ¾ PSI is supplied to the gas control valve. These standards
also allow 235 cubic centimeters per hour of leakage, at ¾ PSI, through the gas control valve to
the main or pilot burners with the gas control valve turned off.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep but so what? there's all sorts of sub standard standards out there. We should be above the minimum whenever possible don't you think?

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Yep but so what? there's all sorts of sub standard standards out there. We should be above the minimum whenever possible don't you think?

Yeah sure.....above the minimum. So do you check every valve with an electronic detector that you install because thats the only way your going to detect 200 cubic centimeters an hour. Then you might spend a few days finding one that doesn't leak the allowable amount. Those are the standards they are MANUFACTURED TO.

LOL

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I do leak test every single time I,we service any gas equipment or piping and yes, we use an electronic sniffer and yes, if it leaks we change it and no, they don't leak very often so until you brought the issue up, it wasn't an issue. Still isn't, but it's your company and you can run things any way you want to. I ain't telling you what you do is right or wrong only that it ain't what I do. Hey while I have you, who made the stock you put on your Ruger 10/22 was that a Tapco or ATI? and do you like it so far?

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I do leak test every single time I,we service any gas equipment or piping and yes, we use an electronic sniffer and yes, if it leaks we change it and no, they don't leak very often so until you brought the issue up, it wasn't an issue. Still isn't, but it's your company and you can run things any way you want to. I ain't telling you what you do is right or wrong only that it ain't what I do. Hey while I have you, who made the stock you put on your Ruger 10/22 was that a Tapco or ATI? and do you like it so far?

Depending on the cost of the sniffer and if you have it calibrated on the regular your probably getting false readings. Even if you use a detector your really still not covered on liability...nifact it could increase your liability if your not getting it calibrated. How do I know? Because a very good friend of mine calibrates them for the local gas provider. When cases go to court thats the first thing the opposing lawyer asks for....the calibration certificate records of their gas detectors.

I check with my electronic sniffer and if it reads I get the liquid detector out. If the liquid detector doesn't show a leak.......then its considered not leaking....or its within the allowable amount.

There is a device made that will detect flow down to 5cc per hour but thats for flow through on the inside of valves...not the outside. Anything below 5cc per hour is called trace leakage and almost every valve has that.

I respect your opinion tho.......we are on the same page. No ones blowing up because of these allowable leakages. I brought it up because alot of valves are being replaced when there is no need to. Gas valve manufacturers get alot of GOOD valves back because of trace leakage detected by electronic detectors.

Ok the 10/22 stock I have is a hogue overmold rubberized stock. For the 80 bucks I paid for it I love it. I have another stock for the 10/22 thats made by Bell&Carlson. I like both of those stocks.

I'm looking for a nice walnut stock for a bull barrel 10/22 I want to build. I'ma use a Kidd bead blasted stainless barrel and a Kidd super grade receiver and trigger group. Actually I'm not going to build the gun but just provide the stock for Tony Kidd to build it for me.

I believe leupold has a scope with an adjustable objective and has target turrets desinged around a particular remington .22 round.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks