Forced Hot Water: Pipe is hot then goes cold

Users who are viewing this thread

ossolito

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a new home owner and I have forced hotwater heat. The pipe for the downstair baseboards is fine, but the pipe leading upstairs has a problem. The pipe leading upstairs starts off hot from the boiler/burner (it's a Burnam, incidentally) but then maybe 10 ft away from the boiler, it goes cold. Anything I can do or does anyone have any idea what this may be?

Jimmym

Reaction score
It sounds like you're feeling the return pipe. It's hot near the boiler due to thermosiphoning/convection currents. Once the circulator starts, the pipe turns cold because cold water from your zone is now flowing towards the boiler, cooling the pipe. Find out which way the water is flowing and see if it turns cold as it flows out of the boiler.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
heat

Sounds like that zone is air bound and needs to be vented (if there are screwdriver vents on the radiation) or purged (if your boiler is set up with gate valves on each zone and boiler drains between.)

The return line should get hot within seconds.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks