Orange mystery water pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

layne2

Reaction score
I volunteer for a non-profit in Fort Worth, TX. We have been without water in the warehouse for over a year because the water pipes froze last winter and now they leak. I have decided to try to repair this line, but it is not copper. It is an orange colored, sort of plastic water line. Pex perhaps? But it looks thicker than the usual Pex I have seen in new construction. We have about 65 linear feet of this type of pipe all exposed so it will be easy to access. Is patching Okay or should I replace the entire length? I have been told I can get by with a fitting called "Shark Bite". This would not require tools. I find that difficult to believe. But I would prefer not to purchase Pex tools for only one repair job.

Is Pex really the best for a non-heated building? Is there something better suited freezing temps?

Also, I have been advised to use heat tape to protect future water lines from freeze damage. But before I spring for all of this I would like some advice on this subject.

Last edited:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Is it CPVC meant for use in sprinkler systems, it will say what it is on the side of the pipe...?

layne2

Reaction score
Obviously, I am no plumber just a volunteer trying to help out the Red Cross.
No, it is does not appear to be CPVC. This material can coil up like Pex but in very large loops. It appears different than the Pex I have seen in that it has thicker walls. I will unwrap more of the insulation to see if I can find any writing on the pipe. Thanks.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While pex is likely to be able to stand the expanding pressure from freezing, neither the fittings to it nor any fixtures that might have water in them likely won't.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
While pex is likely to be able to stand the expanding pressure from freezing, neither the fittings to it nor any fixtures that might have water in them likely won't.

Pex is freeze burst resistant but its not good for the pipe. The thing with pex and the fittings with freezing is you must have enough pipe between the fittings to allow for expansion of the tube. If the fittings are too close together the fitting or the pipe or both will be damaged.

If the O.P. has Cpvc and it has freeze damage its likely all of it will need to be replaced. The times I have found pvc or cpvc that had freeze damage it was extensive.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks