Help! What am I looking at? Two flanges?

Users who are viewing this thread

pbishopp

Reaction score
Ok, I've never replaced a toilet before. I looked up videos on Youtube and instructions in preparation but it now appears that I am stuck. I just removed a 1987 Kohler Wellington and this is what I am looking at. Are those two flanges, a plastic one over a metal one? It looks like the plastic piece on top is broken on one side but underneath is metal. Can somebody please provide step by step instructions on what I should do next to install my replacement toilet? I have a new wax ring and also a metal toilet flange repair ring made by Sioux Chief but I have a feeling I need something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• flange1.jpg
    flange1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 356
  • flange2.jpg
    flange2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Looks like a spanner flange on the right. cant tell if there is two flanges. remove the rag and sanp another pic. The broken flange needs to be removed. if its pvc there are a few ways to do it. lets see more.....

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I realize the flange I see in the pic is PVC but I'm not sure if you have a flange extension on top of a cast iron flange with a spanner flange thrown in the mix.....

pbishopp

Reaction score
Ok. Ill do that and post a new pic in a few min. Thank you for your help.

pbishopp

Reaction score
Here are more pics. Looks like the side near that other bolt is cracked too in the plastic part (in the second pic below zoomed in).

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• flange6.jpg
    flange6.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 319
  • flange3.jpg
    flange3.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 315
  • flange4.jpg
    flange4.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 320
  • flange5.jpg
    flange5.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 316

pbishopp

Reaction score
I'm trying to disassemble everything but there is one screw in the PVC near the metal side that is at an angle and just turns endlessly. The bolt on the left just came out when I slid it but the one on the right is attached to the metal flange underneath.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Yeah its broken. Looks to me its solvent welded(glued) inside the pipe. It needs to be removed.

This is how I do it. Use a sawzall with a long blade and cut the top of the flange off flush with the slab. Then make two vertical cuts about 1" from each other through the flange BUT NOT THE PIPE TO WHICH ITS SOLVENT WELDED TO. Thats very important. Now keep doing that all the way around whats left but you can space it out a little more,say 2" apart make a vertical cuts. make sure you cut all the way through the flange and only the flange.

Now take a thin flat screwdriver while wearing some safety glasses tap the screwdriver between the flange and the pipe. Angle the screwdriver toward the inside of the pipe slightly.
It should start to pop out. Start this processbetween the two vertical cuts you made that are 1" apart.

Be sure sure stuff your rag down into the pipe so the pieces do not fall into the pipe or a tool.

It takes me about 5 minutes to remove one.

Think your up to it? If you break the pipe your in for alot of work to repair it and maybe a new floor.

Last edited:

pbishopp

Reaction score
Hackney plumbing, thank you very much. I know my limits and in this case I have reached it. I will put the rag back in and call a plumber who is much more qualified to do this than me. It is certainly not worth the risk given my very basic skills at this. Your time and advice is much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you call a plumber he should have a "Ram Bit" which will remove the flange from the fitting very quickly. Hopefully the replacement flange, which probably has a spigot to go into a fitting, not into the pipe, will have a metal ring. If ti goes INTO the pipe, then space should be made around the pipe so the new flange can slide over the outside fo the pipe. The all plastic flanges like yours are useless.

Last edited:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
If you call a plumber he should have a "Ram Bit" which will remove the flange from the fitting very quickly. Hopefully the replacement flange, which probably has a spigot to go into a fitting, not into the pipe, will have a metal ring. If ti goes INTO the pipe, then space should be made around the pipe so the new flange can slide over the outside fo the pipe. The all plastic flanges like yours are useless.

It appears the existing flange solvent welds inside the pipe. Some codes allow it and it works fine. if the flange is as it appears it will solvent weld inside 4" pipe or it can be solvent welded over 3" pipe. The cheap ram bits made by pasco are designed to remove pipe......The flange spigot has a different O.D. than 3 or 4" pipe.

I have 4 all plastic flanges installed in my home and have been there for 12 years. They are secured to the floor. I expect them to last longer than both us will. My parents have all plastic flanges and have bene installed for 22 years. I installed them.......they work fine. I use the ears,not the slots.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks