Hot water stays lukewarm..

Users who are viewing this thread

willingnovice

Reaction score
Up until a few days ago, my hot water worked fine. My plumber came by to remove a gas line and had to shut down the gas to the house. When he left, he re-lit the pilots on the water heater, but the water has never returned to the temperature it used to be.

Any thoughts on why this is? My plumber says that it takes time to heat back up but it's almost been a week now. The Reliance 501 heater thermostat was moved from hot to very hot. The pilot is lit, yet the pipes are all cold and the heater is cool to the touch.

Need help! Thanks in advance

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know what your problem is, but I can tell you that it only takes perhaps 1/2 hour to heat a tank of water from cold to hot. I would guess there is something not functioning in the ignition system. You need to get a qualified repairman to determine what the problem is.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
There are 2 knobs that operate the heater. 1 is to light the pilot and then the same knob has to be turned to the on position after the pilot is lit. Look and see if this was done. I'm not talking about the knob that adjusts the water temp.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks