Votes: 17 40.5%
  • Home Owner - Left

Votes: 14 33.3%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Plumbers, are most of your Garbage Disposal Replacements on the left or right side of the sink.

Home owners - is your Garbage disposal on the left or right side of the sink.

Please click on the correct box above to take the poll.

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
Home owner, left side the wife said. I don't know and don't want to know where it is personally.

bob...

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Disposer in Center

Location of the disposer should be related to the work flow in the kitchen. If it is mostly related to scraps from food preparation, it should be in the sink adjacent to the food prep area. If it is used for cleanup and diswashing, then you want it in the sink that will not be full of water.

When I built my house in '64 the plumber suggested that we only needed a large single sink since we had a dishwasher. The single sink is larger than larger sink in most double sink installations. The counter space is valuable and we have never missed the double sink.

gatchie

Reaction score
Garbage disposal location

Homeowner - Left, since underneath the right side is where the water filters are located. The old GE (noisy and slender) are originally on the right but not enough room when replaced by in-sinkerator model.

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
Homeowner: Double sink - large and small. Disposer installed in larger sink on the right.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
disposer

Contractor
"Disposal" is a GE trademark for their GE and Hotpoint disposers. All the rest are just disposers. The disposer usually goes in the smallest or shallowest bowl of an assymetrical sink. Otherwise the drain location will usually determine which bowl is the easier one to pipe it.

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Plumber , I was taught , " Scrap , rinse , then to dishwasher" So I guess it's disposer farthest from dishwasher. That determines were i set mine.

Cal

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Interesting results so far. Home owner results are neck and neck but plumbers are different.........

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
disposal

usually i always install them in the smaller of the two
sinks, or the side that is nearest the dishwasher...

if for no other reason i install it on the side that makes
plumbing underneath the sink work out the best.....when
installing the pipes....

the one in my home is on the RIGHT.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
disposer

I'd keep off center one way or the other.

Why not ask the lady of the house where she wants the disposal.
Does she work from right to left or left to right.
Where is the refrigerator and stove situated relative to the sink work area.

Just make sure you leave a tee with a plug in it so someday when the drain plugs, you have a ready made opening to clean through.
And you can rinse the snake as you pull it back.....

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Are there any new people who would like to add to this poll?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
You need another candidate -- single-bowl sink. I have one, and the disposer is in the center. I hate double-bowl sinks.

speedball1

Retired plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.askme.com
Plumber, (retired) All of the new construction in my area gets the disposal/ers installed in the left hand tub. This allows for longer radius turns in the dish washer discharge hose when we install a drip loop and connect back to the disposal unit. The dishwasher always mounts to the right of the sink cabinet. Regards, tom

Last edited:

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Mine is on the left.
I have a newer model "P" shaped double bowl large enough for any pot or skillet/handle. I highly recommend it. No more pots soaking on counter. :)

Pewterpower

Reaction score
My dishwasher is to the left of the dbl sink. The builders put the disposer in the left sink, closest to the dishwasher. When it came time to replace the disposer, my wife said, "Can't you put it on the right? I hate it on the left side."
I didn't ask why...........I didn't even think about it. I just did what she wanted since she does 100 times more work in the kitchen than I do.
I understood her reasoning, once I thought about it.
But the moral of the story is: Ask the person who uses it the most , where they want the disposer.

dyoungers

Reaction score
our dishwasher is to the left of the sink and when my wife asked me to put in a double bowl sink she also decided that she wanted the disposer to be on the right ... not that she won't change her mind ;)

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
When I grew up, both houses it was on the left and dishwasher on the left. After my kichen remodel it'll probably be on the left and dw on the left too. Guess I gotta get the executive to make the decision though :)

Jason

rudytheplbr

36 Journeyman Plbr
Reaction score
Re: Disposer Poll

To Poll taker,
Your Q's are too limited to provide a decent answer: where a disposer is installed is dependent on several factors. The first; where the owner wants it.
The second; I always install them opposite the side the drain connection is on, if the rough-in is 7" off center of the whole sink. Third; if there will be a dishwasher installed at the same time, I will put the disposer next to the DW in the bowl of the sink closest to the DW. For the reason that dishes would be stacked in the non-disposer bowl of the sink, picked up, and rinsed off over the disposer and placed in the DW, making a smooth work path.
Right or left doesn't really matter.

RudythePlbr

EAT "WILD ALASKA SALMON" IT'S GOOD FOR YOU AND YOURS!!:)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks