Collar for single wall 6" exaust pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Personalt

Reaction score
I am an electrician replacing a air handler in a really small closet. Problem is there is a 6" single wall galvanized steel exhaust duct in my way. I need to temporally remove one section to get the air handler out.

Problem is the pipe comes through the floor and goes up to the floor above so there is no play for me to slide a piece of out the middle. I am going to have to make one cut to remove a section to get the air handler out.. I am going to head over the heating supply place tomorrow but was wondering if they make a collar that would slip over outside and still give me a good seal.

Personalt

Reaction score
What is it the exhaust from? Is it single wall pipe or double wall?

It really looks like single wall, is there a good way to tell with 100% certainity before I cut in to it??

There is a water heater in the apartment below and this is their exhaust stack.. I really hate to touch it but it is right in front of the air handler and there is no way to get access without taking out a section of pipe. How this pasted the original inspection is beyond me..

I have already spoken to owner belowand they will turn their water heater off while I work on this air handler.. I have a good hour or two but want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
It really looks like single wall, is there a good way to tell with 100% certainity before I cut in to it??

There is a water heater in the apartment below and this is their exhaust stack.. I really hate to touch it but it is right in front of the air handler and there is no way to get access without taking out a section of pipe. How this pasted the original inspection is beyond me..

I have already spoken to owner belowand they will turn their water heater off while I work on this air handler.. I have a good hour or two but want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row.

HMMMMM I bet its double wall and your measuring the outside. 6" would be a bit big for a standard water heater to say the least. I wouldn't cut it just yet,positively identify what your working on and with first.

Personalt

Reaction score
HMMMMM I bet its double wall and your measuring the outside. 6" would be a bit big for a standard water heater to say the least. I wouldn't cut it just yet,positively identify what your working on and with first.

This unit is on second floor and there are three more units above so that could explain the bigger duct but it could also explain the use of double wall. I will take a ride over there to day and can maybe remove a screw to see if I can make sure it is not double wall.

any solutions if double wall? There is no way to not remove a section and get air handler out

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; There is no way to not remove a section and get air handler out

There is always a way to do it, because they had to install it somehow. If the pipe is a flue and goes through a wall, it cannot be single wall. You can tell double wall by the way the end in made. You cannot cut and splice double wall.

Personalt

Reaction score
quote; There is no way to not remove a section and get air handler out

There is always a way to do it, because they had to install it somehow. If the pipe is a flue and goes through a wall, it cannot be single wall. You can tell double wall by the way the end in made. You cannot cut and splice double wall.

It appears they put the chase in after the air handler was installed, blocking access. This never should have passed a final inspection when the building was built... :(

There is a way - The problem is the only one I can think of is not practical. The only way I can see that I can separate the pipes without cutting them is

1 rip open the chase in the 2 floors above plus maybe an attic to find and loosen enough supports to get enough play to separate the sections. This may mean getting permission from multiple tenants plus building management to do damage to their unit. Don't see this happening....
2 find and loosen all the supports until I get enough play to slide pipe up..
3 patch holes in all these units...

Problem is my client I don't think gets along with the unit above so no way are they going to let me poke around in there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks