Water coming out of air gap???

Users who are viewing this thread

Danl02026

retired
Reaction score
I just installed a new install dishwasher, ran electricity new shut off for water and put in a new drain inlet with no disposal.
everything is working well BUT when the dishwasher rinses. I hear the water going out then it starts to come out of the air gap. Any advise will be greatly appreciated...:confused:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The air gap will have a 7/8" hose draining down with grade to either the inlet of the drain system.

That may be the disposer inlet, after punching out the plug

It may be a tee fitting

It may be a insert fitting into a p-trap.

Either way, the 7/8" must be clean, and graded down.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The drain from the air gap down is restricted. Could be a kink in the hose, OR>.....if the disposer is brand new...did you punch out the plug on the inlet???

OOOPS>...no disposer. OK, then it boils down to you need a smooth full 7/8" id flow down to the drain. Any kink can restrict it.

Last edited:

Danl02026

retired
Reaction score
jimbo-- thanks -- So I take it that water is not supposed to come out---I'll get to the real plumbing supply and get a 7/8" inlet tailpiece and hose --- there is no kink in the hose--so that is got to be it...

Schustermarie54

Reaction score
I assume you have checked to see that the air gap is plumbed the right way? It's hard to get it reversed but I've seen it done through creative plumbing.

Try pulling the hose off the disposal and running a drain cycle into a 5 gal bucket. If it still spills out of the air gap, you'll have to try a different brand of air gap. If it doesn't, the disposal is draining slow. My first move though, would be to be to shine a light in the disposal port to verify the knockout was completely removed.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I assume you have checked to see that the air gap is plumbed the right way? It's hard to get it reversed but I've seen it done through creative plumbing.

Try pulling the hose off the disposal and running a drain cycle into a 5 gal bucket. If it still spills out of the air gap, you'll have to try a different brand of air gap. If it doesn't, the disposal is draining slow. My first move though, would be to be to shine a light in the disposal port to verify the knockout was completely removed.

I had jumped right on the disposal plug.....until I reread the OP...no disposal! It does sound like he may have used the wrong size hose. Let's hope that fixes it

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Some dishwasher branch tailpieces have a "two size" inlet and you have to cut the smaller end of if you have a 7/8" hose. The hose also has to flow directly to the connection without kinks or sags.

Danl02026

retired
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone .... the size of the tailpiece was 5/8...I went to 7/8 and also over the years of doing dishes by hand I had a restriction in the drain of grease and stuff...after using the dishwasher a quite a few times...the blockage is gone and the dishwasher doesnt burb anymore....again thank this site is the most helpful site on the web.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks