cast iron lead packed hub removing pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

hellomoto

Reaction score
What is the best way to remove a galvanized pipe that is connected to the main waste pipe that is cast iron and the hub looks like it is lead packed? I found a book diagramed how cast iron pipes use lead packing, but doesn't say anything about what is the easiest and quickest way to remove the joint. I found a thread in this forum suggesting that a trusty screwdriver is needed to chisel out the lead, etc. Is it possible to torch the joint to soften the lead? Once the bond is soft, then the pipe can be twisted off. Any suggestions?

Thx in advance

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A drill bit to remove the lead, then a small chisel or screwdriver to pick out the remaining? Seems that that is what I've read. You'd probably never get it hot enough to melt that lead. To make it, you typically use a lead pot to melt the lead, then a ladel to pour it into the joint.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I have removed vertical lead joints with a torch and map gas. If I can I break the pipe (ci pipe) with a hammer so all that is left is the lead. Slice the lead in 3 places with a sawsall, and pry the lead out with a large screwdriver.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pipe

If you have room to pull the pipe out, then wiggle it around in all directions to loosen the lead, then it may be able to be pulled out while twisting it. Sometimes plumbers deformed the end of the pipe and if they did that then you have to remove all the material from the joint to get the pipe out. There are many ways to remove the lead, but it depends on where the joint is, its direction, the width of the lead joint, and the tools you have available. Heating the lead does not do any good for most people because it hardens again immediately after you remove the flame, and hot lead is not really soft lead anyway unless it is melted.

Finnegan

Reaction score
I am on board with hj. You an usually just wiggle the pipe out of the joint.

hellomoto

Reaction score
Remove lead packing

:cool: Thanks guys. I guess I will prepare to spend this coming weekend in the craw space to replace that pipe. I'll first try to loosen the pipe first before working on prying the lead out. Hopefully, it comes off easily.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
lead

If it's a horozontal joint then you can melt it out as long as you have room to get the torch on it. I use a Turbo-Torch with the large tip.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks