Question on a Toto Drake flushing....

Users who are viewing this thread

jackr

Reaction score
I purchased a Drake a few years back & am happy with it, although recently it has clogged a few times. Since I have well water (although its not really hard so we dont use a softener) I was wondering if after a while could there be build-up down in the bends? Also I noticed that there is about 2" of water in the tank left when flushed. Is that normal? Is there an adjustment to let all the water drain out when flushed? Should I raise the level in the tank (its at the level line now)? I have cleaned out the little holes around the rim. Any ideas?

Thanks
Jack

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The toilet does not empty the tank during a flush...this is normal.

It's more likely that there could be something stuck in the trap or down the pipe - a toothbrush, Q-tip, comb, toy, etc. Sometimes you can fish it out with a toilet auger, sometimes you have to remove the toilet and find it.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
By design low flow toilets use only about 1/2 the water in the tank per flush. The basic reason is that the extra height in the tank give a bit more push to the flush. You can use the entire tank by just hold the handle down a couple of extra seconds, but the totally defeats the low flush concept and is not needed anyway. If the toilet is clogging, it because something was flushed that should not have been in there. Common items found wedged in the trap are things like toothbrushes, kids toys, makeup articles, dental floss, etc. Rule of thumb only human waste and toilet paper should go in the toilet. It is also possible the clog is in the drain, not the toilet.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is it actually clogging or just not flushing properly (as in slowly?) Is the bowl filling then very slowly emptying when this happens?

Is anything else in the home showing a tendency not to drain well? Sometimes the problem can be in the line from the house getting clogged with roots/etc. When the kids were toddlers we had a few toys end up in the line... The sewer vent might not be freely flowing either. My grandparents seemed to have problems with this in their septic system.

But as Jim suggested, you can easily pull the toilet and check for partial blockages of the trap--have a replacement wax seal on hand of course.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks