No cold water Moen tub/shower fixture

Users who are viewing this thread

FJK

Reaction score
I'm helping a friend who had her house remodeled a few years ago. In the guest bath room, which is seldom used, we recently discovered only hot water comes from the bath/shower faucet. This is my first experience with such a faucet and after removing the fauect knob & wall plate, it looks like the rough faucet has 2 built in shut off valves (1/4 turn) that operate with a flat blade screw driver. At least that is how the hot water side works. There is no cold water flow whatsoever. I know anything is possible, but I am wondering if there is any merit in removing the faucet cartridge and also disassembling the cold side shut off (requires removal of a snap ring) to see what I can see. Is there any exerperience out there that would suggest a newly installed shower rough facuet( Moen) might have an inheient problem (ie bad shutoff valve, cartridge of valve not drilled open, etc)? Tracing the cold water supply is going to be difficult because this bath is part of a house addition. I just want to priorize easy things first. Comments & suggestions please.
Thanks, FJK

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fjk,

First make sure the cut off to the cold is open. Next,shut off the water and change the cartridge,, most times with moens this is all that is needed.They are a very good faucet.

Luck,
Cal

FJK

Reaction score
Cal
Are you saying the cartrige itself can be the cause for no cold water?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Assuming that it is a pressure balance valve (required in new/replacement), it has a sliding spool in it. A little dirt or corrosion could have that spool stuck, shutting off the cold water input. My unprofessional opinion.

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fjk,

I'm saying the cartridge is the fastest and least expensive way to 1st evaluate and fix a Moen faucet . Try it,,you will hopefully be pleasently surprised . If it doesn't work ,then you have to delve deeper into cutoffs,pipe blockages ,etc .

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
moen

FJK said:
I'm helping a friend who had her house remodeled a few years ago. In the guest bath room, which is seldom used, we recently discovered only hot water comes from the bath/shower faucet. This is my first experience with such a faucet and after removing the fauect knob & wall plate, it looks like the rough faucet has 2 built in shut off valves (1/4 turn) that operate with a flat blade screw driver. At least that is how the hot water side works. There is no cold water flow whatsoever. I know anything is possible, but I am wondering if there is any merit in removing the faucet cartridge and also disassembling the cold side shut off (requires removal of a snap ring) to see what I can see. Is there any exerperience out there that would suggest a newly installed shower rough facuet( Moen) might have an inheient problem (ie bad shutoff valve, cartridge of valve not drilled open, etc)? Tracing the cold water supply is going to be difficult because this bath is part of a house addition. I just want to priorize easy things first. Comments & suggestions please.
Thanks, FJK

First remove the cartridge and try tapping it on the floor a few times. That will usually free the spool and get it working again. Before you remove the cartridge, note its orientation so you can reinstall it the same way, so you do not reverse the hot and cold operations.

FJK

Reaction score
What's the trick?

Ah, much good advice, but.... what's the trick to removing the cartridge? Got to it last night, removed the retaining clip, pulled on the valve stem, nothing. The white plastic piece that the valve stem protrudes through, is that part of the cartridge or a spearate piece? Is there a special tool to rotate the white plastice piece which allows it to "cam out" of the brass valve housing? So, somemore guidance is required. Any suggestions?
Thanks, FJK

zhotster

Reaction score
Cal said:
Fjk,

I'm saying the cartridge is the fastest and least expensive way to 1st evaluate and fix a Moen faucet . Try it,,you will hopefully be pleasently surprised . If it doesn't work ,then you have to delve deeper into cutoffs,pipe blockages ,etc .

Cal, thanks for this tip. I searched the web today when I was doing repairs, and this thread came to the top of my searches. I also had a Moen that had no cold water at all. Went to the hardware store and bought a new posi-temp cartridge and it works like a dream!

I joined today since I have lots of projects and interests in plumbing. This site is great. I hope I can provide some advice some day also ;)

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Z,

Welcome to the nut house ! It must be all the "fumes" we lead workers have inhaled over the years !! It's a good group of folks here .

Cal

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks