Kitchen Sink - a Puzzler

Users who are viewing this thread

Jon A

Reaction score
I need some suggestions on what to do next.

What I have is a Kitchen Sink that will not drain.

Here is what I have done so far:
I started by removing the p-traps on both basins. They were/ are clean. Next I used a 25 foot snake to try to locate and clear the clogged area. I tried this several times - still won't drain. Next I got a larger 50 foot snake and tried again. The snake passed through easily - usual effort to get around elbows, but it moves freely once through. This snake is a 1/2 inch coil with about 1 inch diameter at the head. I confirmed that it pased through the drain line all the way to the main line out to the sewer. Still will not drain. Next I tried running the snake down from the roof vent - no problems found and still will not drain. Running the disposer pumps the water out of the sink and into the adjacent basin. Plugging the adjacent basin results in pumping out all of the water, but it all comes gushing back in when the disposer is turned off - seems it pumped it up the vent stack. This drain line to the sink is the longest run in the house and nothing else ties into it. It has it's own "y" where it connects into the main Sewer drain in the basement. All other sinks, toilets, showers, & laundry work perfectly.

What am I overlooking?

Any suggestons would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Is this a new happening? Any plumbing changes recently? Trying to push water uphill?

A little more info would be very helpful.

Paul

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Jon A said:
I confirmed that it pased through the drain line all the way to the main line out to the sewer. .

How did you confirm this?

Jon A

Reaction score
PEW said:
Is this a new happening? Any plumbing changes recently? Trying to push water uphill?

A little more info would be very helpful.

Paul

This has happened for the first time.
No changes to the plumbing.
Water has always drained here before - we have been in this house for almost a year now.

Not sure what additional I can offer that would help, but ask away!

Thanks for looking at my post and considering my problem.
This is my first time on this (or any other) forum.

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
Jon,
Kitchen sink drain lines get clogged with grease, oils, food particles, etc., and often a snake will just punch right through the congealed crud without removing much of anything.
The best way to clear this would be with a good enzyme-based drain cleaner such as DrainCare, available at most big boxes, etc. It usually will eat out all of this organic gunk overnight and clear the drain. If it is really badly clogged, you may need to use it more than once.
Just run warm water down the drain, pour in a liberal amount of DrainCare, and let it eat overnight. Flush the drain with very hot water the next morning. I start with a kettle of boiling water, and then run the hot water until it drains free and clear.
I've seen this work time after time in situations exactly like yours.
Good Luck!
Mike

Jon A

Reaction score
Cass said:
How did you confirm this?

I had someone help by moving the snake in and out while I went to the basement to listen and feel the pipes. I wanted to be sure the snake was going into the main line and not somewhere else - possibly bypasing the clog.
Also, the 50 footer came back out stinking like sewer. The 25 footer didn't go quite that far because it didn't stink when it came back out.

I also visually confirmed the snake from the roof vent by looking into the pipe where the sink connects to the drain and saw the snake passing through.

Jon A

Reaction score
Mike Swearingen said:
Jon,
Kitchen sink drain lines get clogged with grease, oils, food particles, etc., and often a snake will just punch right through the congealed crud without removing much of anything.
The best way to clear this would be with a good enzyme-based drain cleaner such as DrainCare, available at most big boxes, etc. It usually will eat out all of this organic gunk overnight and clear the drain. If it is really badly clogged, you may need to use it more than once.
Just run warm water down the drain, pour in a liberal amount of DrainCare, and let it eat overnight. Flush the drain with very hot water the next morning. I start with a kettle of boiling water, and then run the hot water until it drains free and clear.
I've seen this work time after time in situations exactly like yours.
Good Luck!
Mike

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try the Drain Care.

I forgot to mention that I did try running hot water and dumping some boiling water down the drain as well. My attempt didn't work. I have not tried an enzyme based cleaner and will give that a shot.

Thanks again!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I agree with mike above, you most likley have a grease clog or belly in the line cloged with grease. Most times though, but not always, you will pull back something back on the cable that lets you know grease is in the line. The stench of the cable could be because the grease clog has become rancid, anyone who has cleaned a grease trap knows what I am talking about.
You could try going back and forth through the line a few times, sometimes this works.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Also, the 50 footer came back out stinking like sewer. The 25 footer didn't go quite that far because it didn't stink when it came back out.

If the drain was stopped up and had water in it, then neither snake should have had an odor, other than that of dirty water. Fill the drain with hot water and then rod from the roof, making sure that the snake goes all the way to the main drain. Once it is there start pushing and pulling the snake to see if you can dislodge the grease stoppage. That is why we use electric snakes so the rotating movement churns the stoppage and breaks it up.

Jon A

Reaction score
Success!!!!!!

hj said:

If the drain was stopped up and had water in it, then neither snake should have had an odor, other than that of dirty water. Fill the drain with hot water and then rod from the roof, making sure that the snake goes all the way to the main drain. Once it is there start pushing and pulling the snake to see if you can dislodge the grease stoppage. That is why we use electric snakes so the rotating movement churns the stoppage and breaks it up.

:) :)

I did exactly as you suggested - ran the snake from the roof vent all the way to the main drain. The standing water in the sink went down, but failed to drain when I filled it up again. I filled both basins completely full of hot water and then pulled the snake out and aggressively worked it up and down the length of the drain line. My wife and son watched the sink and saw the clog break free as the water quickly drained out of the sink. "There was a big whirlpool and it went down fast!" my son exclaimed.

We are happy campers again!

I will follow through on Mike's suggestion and get the Drain Care or equivalent enzyme based cleaner to have on hand as well.

Thanks everyone for your responses, this forum is great! :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks