Leaking shower

Users who are viewing this thread

horseman

Reaction score
Please someone could you please advise, we have never experienced this before. We just bought a house and moved in 2 days ago. For the last 2 days the shower in the master bath leaks through the bottom of the brick wall and out onto the patio. This bathroom was just remodeled with tile on ceiling and walls. I hate to tear it out. It is in the back of the house and the water valves are on the inside of the outside wall. I noticed yesterday and today after the shower had been run that water was seeping out through the bottom of the brick wall down the foundation and out on the patio. There was also foundation work done on that end of the house before we closed and I wonder if that could have done something to the plumbing under teh shower. We just don't know where to begin. The house is 20 years old, but like I said bathroom shower was just remodeled before we moved in.

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
Is this a shower only or a tub/shower?
Does it leak constantly (as in a water line leak) or just when the shower is in use (as in a possible above-the-faucet or drain leak)?
What type of faucet does it have? Brand? Single handle? Dual handle?
Please give us a little more detail. There are a few things that you can try, if it isn't a constant leak, without tearing into the wall.
Mike

horseman

Reaction score
leaky shower

Thanks for your fast reply. I am not sure of the brand, I will check tonight. There are two handles for the water. It only leaks through the bottom of the wall whenever the shower is running. It is only a shower it is custom built. There may have been a combo there before by looking at the size of the shower, but the remodeling only has a shower with ceramic all over the place. Also, we switched to other bathroom today to use it instead. There is a shower/tub combo. Well things worked there until about 3-4 minutes into the shower, then we lost hot water. My wife took a shower after me and she had the same problem. Plenty of hot water just not after 3 -4 minutes. Could the previous owner have put some device in to cut the showers short or is there a bigger problem here too?

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like you have multiple issues. Might be time to call in a pro. Not to be disrespecful but this cold / no shower thing is going to get old FAST !

Cal

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
shower

Just at first glance it sounds like the shower pan leaks.
Could also be leaking at the faucets packing or through the wall when showering.

With the hot water it sounds like the dip tube has split or broken off....
Its on the cold water nipple on the heater tank or just inside where the nipple screws into the water heater..

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A quick check for the shower: remove the shower head, and cap the arm with a plastic 1/2" IPS threaded cap. Then turn the water on for a few minutes, see if the leak occurs. This will tell you if the leak involves the water piping and valves, or the shower pan and drain.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
shower

Check the pan by putting a stopper in the shower drain and go to a different fixture and bring in 2 or 3 pails of hot water and dump them on the shower floor and wait......

If it leaks at the wall then you know its the drain line or the the pan. and then there may not be a pan at all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks