Is it possible to fix a leaking threaded joint without unscrewing and re-taping?

Users who are viewing this thread

setuid

Reaction score
I have a leak at the threaded joint between the shower valve and the pipe to the shower head. Is it possible to fix this leak without unscrewing the connection?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
joint

Unless you have the shower head opening capped and are testing it, it would have to be a very poorly sealed joint to leak. But that connection normally would be a single piece of pipe that should be easy to unfasten and redo.

setuid

Reaction score
Great thanks. I should be able to unscrew the ear at the top and unfasten the joint and retape.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason the joints to a shower valve are screw joints vs. something one could just solder? It doesn't seem that you could replace the valve without sweating the soldered joints.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

The valves that plumbers can buy from their wholesalers come with solder connections. Those from Home Depot and similar are always threaded, although those with male threads are can usually also have the tubing soldered into the inside of the openings.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks