Help !! Hot Water Recirculation Line

Users who are viewing this thread

Builder55

Reaction score
I hope somebody can help. I just built a new home and ran an extra hot water return line back to the mechanical room, I have a boiler and indirect fired water heater installed. how do I plumb this recirculating line into the tank, any help is appreciated......... Frank :confused:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Basically, you can put a T on the inlet to the DHW tank, put the pump inline where most convenient, and you need to add a checkvalve. One of the pros should be able to fill in the details. It's not a bad idea to put in a timer for the pump, too. The pump needs to be (typcally) bronze - rated for potable water.

Builder55

Reaction score
thanks, but the local "pro's" don't have a clue, as this system is new to these guys. I could really use some specifics on this set up.... backflow valve, air bleed, tempering ???? do I return to the cold inlet, or back to the hot output ??//

Builder55

Reaction score
The boiler is a Munchkin, and the tank is a matching 60 gl. solara from the same company. used for 3 zone radiant heat and domestic water. I have the return line already plumbed back to the mechanical room, just need to figure out how to plumb into the water tank. it seemd about 10 diff. scenarios could work... ??

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
I'd say to pump the recirc into a tee installed into the drain valve of the DHW tank, or into a tee on the cold (supply) inlet of the tank.

In both scenarios, a check valve is necessary on the cold/supply line PRIOR to the circ line's connection.

Additionally, you must allow for an expansion tank on the tank side of the check valve.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Builder

GOOGLE grundfos usa they have a great comfort series recic. pump.

i use mine with a timer. great co. and they will help

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The check valve should be a swing check.

I always drill a small hole in the flapper of the check valve so that it's quieter.

The idea is to cause some resistence for water going the wrong way. It will tend to find the easier route.

I like to pull the drain off of the tank and put a tee and drain there. That way the water circs the entire tank.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pump

Basically you want the returned water to flow to the bottom of the tank so it will push the hot water into the circulating system. Therefore, you will either connect it to the cold water supply, which has a tube to direct the water to the bottom of the tank, or connect it directly to the bottom by removing the drain valve and adding a tee between the drain and the tank. Use a check valve either way to keep the water flowing in the proper direction, and install ball valves on either side of the pump to facilitate servicing it. You might also want to put a tee and hose valve ahead of the pump to purge any air pockets out of the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks