PVC Drain Plug question.

Users who are viewing this thread

dirigo

Reaction score
I was cleaning out the PVC pipe under my sink which was installed around 1988. The pipe is C-shaped with a plug at the bottom for cleanout, which I thought was a fairly standard setup. The head of the drain plug snapped off and I bought a 3/4 size plug to replace it. It turns out that my plug is approximately 1/8 inch smaller then the 3/4's plug and I can't seem to find this odd-ball sized plug anywhere on the interenet. The 3/4 plug just doesn't fit.

Is this a product of older construction? Do you think I'll be able to find the right size plug or will I have to replace the whole pipe? Thanks in advance for your help.

Finnegan

Reaction score
You do not need to repace the trap. Though, you might need to buy a new trap. The piece that broke off is only used in traps. If you buy the whole trap for just a few dollars, it will come with the plug and a thin rubber gasket. HD and Lowes will sell this type of trap. A plumbing supply store may sell just the plug and the gasket. Do not overtighten the plug or you will distort the gasket and break the seal.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

That is a special sized plug and you will not find a replacement. Most traps do not have, or need, that opening. Buy a new trap without the plug and replace the "J" bend.

Finnegan

Reaction score
Keep in mind that this type of trap is solvent welded into place. You can spend about $3 (on a new trap and just use the plug) and 20 seconds screwing in a new plug or you can try to cut out the trap, leaving the stub cut square, glue a coupling onto the stub, another stub into the coupling and then get a new trap lined up with the tailpiece all while working in tight quarters. It seems like such an easy choice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks