PDA

View Full Version : Weird idea to possibly help with skid marks.

mrthrills
11-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Hello to all again. I am very pleased with the performance of my Toto Drake toilet so far. However like some others have noticed there are the occasional skid marks showing up. Usually very tiny spots and not smears. I was wondering if it would help to pour water in the toilet to drain most of liquid then coat the bowl with some kind of car wax. Or furniture polish. Would that help with the skid marks or hurt the toilet in any way? I did do a search for the word wax but came up with nothing. If anyone has actually tried this what product do you recommend? TY.

jadnashua
11-07-2011, 03:34 PM
The SanaGlos optional finish on Totos is super smooth, and has some anti-microbial properties. A wax would make things smoother. Not sure what the life of it would be, but I don't think it would hurt. If I was going to try this, I think I'd try one of the high-tech nanowax products. A bit more fiber in a diet pretty much eliminates the skid marks, though, and is good for that and can help lower chloresterol, too.

Gary Swart
11-07-2011, 03:51 PM
For an occasional skid mark, I find dropping 3 or 4 facial tissues in the bowl and flushing does a pretty good job of cleaning. Where that doesn't work, a quick swirl with a brush takes care of it. If it is a frequent problem, a diet adjustment might be worth considering. If the wax holds up for a reasonable time, then that would be an interesting thing to pass on.

SteveW
11-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Terry used to recommend Chlorox Toilet Bowl liquid cleaner with Teflon. I tried it before I had Sanigloss Totos and it does help, at least some.

mrthrills
11-07-2011, 06:55 PM
TY for the replies. :) I think I will try a high tech car wax and more fiber in my diet wouldn't hurt. I will post with the results to let you know how it works.

mrthrills
11-24-2011, 04:49 AM
I did pour water into the toilet to lower the water level. Then I used ArmorAll Original to liberally coat the inside of the toilet bowl. I waited an hour and then flushed once. It has been more than a week now and only two skidmarks so far. The next time the toilet was flushed (not right away) they washed right off. If someone else would like to experiment with this I would be interested in seeing their results. Very happy with the Toto Drake. :)

hj
11-24-2011, 06:47 AM
As an aside, POURING water into the toilet will NOT remove the water from the bowl. Use a wet/dry vacuum or a sponge.

johnjh2o1
11-24-2011, 08:19 AM
I think I'll add that to my to do list. Get up early every Sunday and wax my toilet!!!

John

hj
11-24-2011, 04:12 PM
And every couple of months you might have it "detailed" also.

alternety
11-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Or you could add a high tech wax to your diet. That may fix multiple things;or not.

Seriously, I would like to hear results (with wax name) on experiments. An improved methodology would be measure out horizontal stripe in the skidding area. Then apply various waxes/materials, each to a stripe, and observe comparative results for effectiveness and lifetime. Remember, like snowflakes, no two skid marks are identical. Armor all is not really a wax, but a plastic conditioner. RainX might be interesting. A little tiny windshield wiper and spray would be cool; wait, bidet.

jadnashua
11-25-2011, 02:43 PM
FWIW, when I RainX my rear window of the car, it lasts many, many months longer than the front that gets abraided by the wipers and bugs, etc. Some of the better car waxes claim they last a year through many car washes, not counting the periodic rain.

Runs with bison
11-30-2011, 11:46 PM
Haven't seen any skid marks below water line on the EcoDrake in the past two years (3 toilets). The Sanagloss results in any such thing disappearing at the first subsequent flush--it lifts off in the water forming a hazy cloud next to the mark until flushed. Above the water line things can stick. Probably less an issue with the Drake II's since they should more thoroughly scour above water line. Haven't tried wax or RainX above the water line. Might be worth an experiment.

ballvalve
12-01-2011, 01:03 PM
And after waxing, have a bison on corn and oats take a crap in there and report back on skids. If you have any water left in the bowl.

For $1.98 Those bristly things on a stick have served mankind for a century.

Runs with bison
12-12-2011, 11:35 PM
Why use the bristly thing on a stick if you don't have to???

And to be honest, it's not using them (the bristly sticks) that is a problem it is what to do with the ******* things in between uses that is an issue. They don't flush worth a damn.

mtcummins
12-12-2011, 11:45 PM
As an aside, POURING water into the toilet will NOT remove the water from the bowl. Use a wet/dry vacuum or a sponge.

Works pretty well for me. Yes, it doesn't remove every drop, but takes it almost all the way down. Its just an artificial flush w/o emptying the tank, so you don't get the bowl refill cycle.

If you want ALL of the water out, yes, you will have to do something additional, as hj said.

TSPORT
12-16-2011, 09:15 AM
Terry used to recommend Chlorox Toilet Bowl liquid cleaner with Teflon. I tried it before I had Sanigloss Totos and it does help, at least some.
I'm almost positive Chlorox no longer makes the "Toilet Bowl liquid cleaner with Teflon".

Gary Swart
12-16-2011, 03:52 PM
Guys, this is really much to do about a very small problem. If you will get a bit more fiber in your diet which is a good idea anyway, most of the problem with skid marks will be taken care of. For the occasional times you over do on the diet and get a bit of marking, a quick brushing will take care of it. A brush in a decorative contain beside the toilet is pretty common in most bathrooms and certainly is not as offensive as a plunger. I believe I mentioned in an earlier response that I have had good success with just dropping 3 or 4 facial tissues in the bowl and flushing them.

alternety
12-16-2011, 04:10 PM
For me it is indeed the opposite problem. Explosive diarrhea (IBS). It is not skid marks, it is a field after an artillery barrage.

I am going to change to a Toto that advertises more swirl/cleaning of the bowl. Less overall flow; but I will see what happens.

mtcummins
12-16-2011, 04:48 PM
For that particular problem, I would be surprised if any of the Totos with the Double Cyclone flush and Sanigloss didn't get it pretty clean on one flush. The Drake II is my personal favorite.

While we should all try to be healthier, we have no control over what our guests' diets are, and I prefer to avoid their embarrassment at my home at having swirlies in my toilet. Yes, a quick swish will usually do the trick, but then they have to do the 2nd flush, which if anyone's nearby, is embarrassing to some people. The best toilet wash is a nice thing to have for their sake, if nothing else. Its kind of random for me if I get streaks or not, but I will pay a bit extra for the best rinse I can get to avoid having to ever do it if possible. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

That said, I won't be waxing my toilet either, so you guys have fun with that. :)

Gary Swart
12-16-2011, 11:30 PM
I agree with the previous poster. I think you're on the right track with a double cyclone flush and Sanigloss. It would be interesting if you would post a follow-up after installing and using the new toilet. I note you are in Washington, so if you have a problem locating the right Toto, try dealing directly with Terry. No one in Yakima sells Toto, so that what I did when purchasing my toilets. Good excuse to meet him anyway.

Runs with bison
12-17-2011, 07:28 PM
Guys, this is really much to do about a very small problem. If you will get a bit more fiber in your diet which is a good idea anyway, most of the problem with skid marks will be taken care of. For the occasional times you over do on the diet and get a bit of marking, a quick brushing will take care of it. A brush in a decorative contain beside the toilet is pretty common in most bathrooms and certainly is not as offensive as a plunger. I believe I mentioned in an earlier response that I have had good success with just dropping 3 or 4 facial tissues in the bowl and flushing them.

As noted before it's not the below the water line stuff that is annoying (since sanagloss dispatches it on the subsequent flush) it is the above water line stuff. Some of the same things that contribute to the roughage also make the above water line markes more likely.

Since we have Toto's there are no plungers anywhere near the bathrooms. They are stored away now. I still can't think of the toilet brush as anything but filthy--even after the clean up flushes. I want all of that water to stay in the bowl not in a decorative container beside the toilet. It stays in a utility space until time to do a thorough cleaning.

Haven't experimented with the manual coating, but I'll get around to it some time.

Shapoonie
07-27-2012, 11:09 AM
I was getting skid marks in the new toilet I installed if I throw a couple of sheets of toilet paper in first no skid marks. No chemicals to mess up the septic system and no change in diet.
Besides the buffer would not fit in there anyway.

shap

alternety
07-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Seeing this last post reminded me I was going to share how the new Toto Cyclone flush worked on my problem with above the waterline residue. It is better than the non-cyclone Toto, but did not completely solve the problem.

I am also not real happy with the Toto bidet. The sprayer does not seem to move around noticeably (even in oscillate mode). And based on my wife's observations about where my reasoning abilities are centered, I should be able to sense motion quite well. What you have to do is do a bunch of wiggling to get things done. Not what I anticipated. I have turn the seat on only when I want a cleaning. I see no reason to keep water or seats hot. It was actually a major reason why I chose the Toto seat. Many others I saw kept a tank of water hot all the time. I do rather wish they had placed a "power off" function on the remote control panel.

flynn37
08-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Been driving myself nuts trying to pick the right Toto toilet, so glad you mentioned this IBS explosion cleaning-above-the-water problem. I have an 8-year-old Ultramax I believe (any tips on identifying a specific model?) and it flushes great but doesn't clean well at all above the water. If I squirt toilet cleaner around the rim, and then flush, it just drizzles the water out and doesn't remove the blue cleaner. I have to brush it, and then flush it, and then use a cup of water several times to rinse it properly. Hate that! I need a bowl that will swallow softballs and salamis and still clean the "artillery fire" reasonably well. I can't seem to find one that has a superhigh MaP, like 900, plus the double cyclone flush, plus Sanagloss, and is one-piece... though that last part is the least important. Oh, and it has to come in color #12, not cotton white.

My eyes are crossing reading and rereading all the specs and forums. Any tips? And no diet tips, thank you. As posted above, lots of people use the toilet, and I am not in charge of their diets, nor do I wish them to be embarrassed using my toilet, which has happened in the past!

Thanks...

flynn37
08-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Been driving myself nuts trying to pick the right Toto toilet, so glad you mentioned this IBS explosion cleaning-above-the-water problem. I have an 8-year-old Ultramax I believe (any tips on identifying a specific model?) and it flushes great but doesn't clean well at all above the water. If I squirt toilet cleaner around the rim, and then flush, it just drizzles the water out and doesn't remove the blue cleaner. I have to brush it, and then flush it, and then use a cup of water several times to rinse it properly. Hate that! I need a bowl that will swallow softballs and salamis and still clean the "artillery fire" reasonably well. I can't seem to find one that has a superhigh MaP, like 900, plus the double cyclone flush, plus Sanagloss, and is one-piece... though that last part is the least important. Oh, and it has to come in color #12, not cotton white.

My eyes are crossing reading and rereading all the specs and forums. Any tips? And no diet tips, thank you. As posted above, lots of people use the toilet, and I am not in charge of their diets, nor do I wish them to be embarrassed using my toilet, which has happened in the past!

Thanks...

wjcandee
08-02-2012, 02:29 PM
If you want a one-piece, get either the Ultramax II or the Carlyle II (same thing though skirted and uses the Unifit adapter for mounting). [This assumes that you like the look. The Soiree and Guinevere are also one-pieces with Double Cyclone, and have excellent performance, but more traditional looks. I myself think the Ultramax II has an Ultra-cool look that actually fits beautifully in a very traditional room.]

We have the Carlyle II. Double-cyclone rocks and addresses the issue with your Ultramax. It will also swallow anything you throw at it. Don't worry about the MAP rating. As Terry says, anything above 500 is great (at least in the old system before the regulators juiced the numbers by allowing the "media" to be encased). Any naturally-produced material is going to go down fine. We tend to clog our toilets with Charmin Ultra Soft, which is the cloggiest, apparently, and the Carlyle II does just fine.

Also, this new round of toilets from Toto combines a bunch of extra-cost features as standard equipment (they learned from Toyota, I guess), so you automatically get the Eco flush, the Sanagloss, and the Universal Height with your Double Cyclone flush.

If you want to find out the model, look in the tank. On a one-piece, look for a number beginning with MS. Regular Ultramax (1.6gpf) today is something like MS854114S-01. MS=one piece toilet. 854=unit model number 114=seat model S=GMax flush -01=color, in this case Cotton White.

What you might be interested in is: MS604114CEFG#12 That would be: MS=one-piece toilet, 604=Ultramax II, 114=seat model, C=Double Cyclone, E=1.28 gpf, F=Universal Height, G=Sanagloss, 12 = sedona beige

They all come in color 12 (sedona beige). The only one that gets hinky is 51 (Ebony).

flynn37
08-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Thanks so much for all the info. Much as I would love the Soiree or Guinevere, I don't love the price, and am concerned about the width of the skirt interfering with the water connections. Mine are pretty close in... I think I'll just go with the Ultramax II you suggested, and stop torturing myself! Who would imagine buying a toilet could be so complicated! LOL Will come back later with my review!

wjcandee
08-02-2012, 11:13 PM
I just went through it a few months ago, so I totally understand. Glad to help and we look forward to reading your review!