PDA

View Full Version : It's a girl! British royal succession rules to change

Cookie
10-28-2011, 08:18 AM
Finally. It's about time!
http://news.yahoo.com/girl-british-royal-succession-rules-change-104444789.

The day is going to come Ian, where, an American can come over and rule England! I got dibs. :) and, I am a catholic!

Times are changing Ian, times are changing...

PERTH, Australia (Reuters) - Centuries of British royal discrimination came to an end Friday after Commonwealth leaders agreed to drop rules that give sons precedence as heir to the throne and bar anyone in line for the crown from marrying a Roman Catholic.

The 16 countries that have Queen Elizabeth as their monarch agreed to the changes put forward by British Prime Minister David Cameron, who had called the rules of succession outdated.

"The idea that a younger son should become monarch instead of an elder daughter simply because he is a man, or that a future monarch can marry someone of any faith except a Catholic, this way of thinking is at odds with the modern countries that we've all become," Cameron told reporters.

The agreement came on the sidelines of a Commonwealth summit presided over by the Queen in the remote west Australian city of Perth.

Current succession rules dating back to 1688 and 1700 were designed to ensure a Protestant monarchy, and bar anyone in line to the throne from marrying a Catholic.

Only a Catholic link is barred. There are no restrictions on marrying members of other religions or atheists.

The rules have their roots in a turbulent period of English history dating back to Henry VIII's break with Rome in the mid- 16th century. The laws were imposed at a time when Catholics were seen as a threat to the state.

However, the British monarch remains head of the Church of England.

The leaders also agreed to drop the practice of giving precedence to male over female heirs to the throne, regardless of age.

The issue has been brought into focus by this year's wedding of Prince William, second-in-line to the throne, and Kate Middleton.

Without a change, their first son would eventually become king even if he had an older sister.

A group will now be set up to coordinate the necessary legislation for the changes.

Cookie
10-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Bob and I are going to make alot of not-so-subtle changes in England. :) You will think you are in...America!

BobL43
10-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Finally. It's about time!
http://news.yahoo.com/girl-british-royal-succession-rules-change-104444789.

The day is going to come Ian, where, an American can come over and rule England! I got dibs. :) and, I am a catholic!

Times are changing Ian, times are changing...

PERTH, Australia (Reuters) - Centuries of British royal discrimination came to an end Friday after Commonwealth leaders agreed to drop rules that give sons precedence as heir to the throne and bar anyone in line for the crown from marrying a Roman Catholic.

The 16 countries that have Queen Elizabeth as their monarch agreed to the changes put forward by British Prime Minister David Cameron, who had called the rules of succession outdated.

"The idea that a younger son should become monarch instead of an elder daughter simply because he is a man, or that a future monarch can marry someone of any faith except a Catholic, this way of thinking is at odds with the modern countries that we've all become," Cameron told reporters.

The agreement came on the sidelines of a Commonwealth summit presided over by the Queen in the remote west Australian city of Perth.

Current succession rules dating back to 1688 and 1700 were designed to ensure a Protestant monarchy, and bar anyone in line to the throne from marrying a Catholic.

Only a Catholic link is barred. There are no restrictions on marrying members of other religions or atheists.

The rules have their roots in a turbulent period of English history dating back to Henry VIII's break with Rome in the mid- 16th century. The laws were imposed at a time when Catholics were seen as a threat to the state.

However, the British monarch remains head of the Church of England.

The leaders also agreed to drop the practice of giving precedence to male over female heirs to the throne, regardless of age.

The issue has been brought into focus by this year's wedding of Prince William, second-in-line to the throne, and Kate Middleton.

Without a change, their first son would eventually become king even if he had an older sister.

A group will now be set up to coordinate the necessary legislation for the changes. And so now we know why the saying

"Balls said the Queen, if I had them, I'd be King" came from. Well not really, just had to say it. And what about a person of Jewish faith? Is discrimination still allowed when it comes to religions? What a bunch of hypocrites. Mummy, mummy I say, is my spot of tea ready?

BobL43
10-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Bob and I are going to make alot of not-so-subtle changes in England. :) You will think you are in...America!

Yay, but let's improve the weather there as a top priority!

Cookie
10-28-2011, 09:02 AM
"I say", ( in my best english accent) let's ban all hats, for starters; & make the palace into condos!

or... a huge B&B, with proceeds benefiting the USA & its people!

...works for me. ;)

Cookie
10-28-2011, 09:14 AM
Nope, I think, they could always marry anyone from anyother religion, or no religion, it states that, other than a...catholic. Imagine that, lol. You would fall in love, and, your "religion" would prevent you from marrying that person. That is not only discrimination, but, just stupid and silly in my books. For one, it is not anyone else's business or say for that matter, why would anyone put up with that for so many years? It is just stopping now? Wow... How nuts.

How could anyone not love us?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_VNqDZfdnA

BobL43
10-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Nope, I think, they could always marry anyone from anyother religion, or no religion, it states that, other than a...catholic. Imagine that, lol. You would fall in love, and, your "religion" would prevent you from marrying that person. That is not only discrimination, but, just stupid and silly in my books. For one, it is not anyone else's business or say for that matter, why would anyone put up with that for so many years? It is just stopping now? Wow... How nuts.

How could anyone not love us?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_VNqDZfdnA

Come on Terry, let us have that pot stirring emoticon! please!:eek:

LOTW
10-28-2011, 10:48 AM
Bob and I . . .

Horsecrap. It is I who shall rule that dog-peed on nation. But to prove that I am a benevolent dictator, I shall put a true man of compassion in charge of the British welfare system. Your new Home Secretary shall be Ballvalve, a man whose kindness and understanding exceeds only my own. May the sun never set on the LOTW-Ballvalve empire. "A handgun in every pot" shall be our motto.

DonL
10-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Your wish is the Main Mans Command.

Terry's Forums are the best.

Thank You Terry.

Catholic's are no better than the rest of the People on this Earth.

Think what You believe.

One should not be so quick to Judge others...

DonL

ballvalve
10-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Horsecrap. It is I who shall rule that dog-peed on nation. But to prove that I am a benevolent dictator, I shall put a true man of compassion in charge of the British welfare system. Your new Home Secretary shall be Ballvalve, a man whose kindness and understanding exceeds only my own. May the sun never set on the LOTW-Ballvalve empire. "A handgun in every pot" shall be our motto.

I want to be the war minister. Time to re-awake manifest destiny.

Cookie
10-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Ian,must be away on business, lol. He won't see this, :)
where's that steam coming from?

Ian Gills
10-28-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm stunned.

Catholics?

BobL43
10-28-2011, 02:56 PM
I want to be the war minister. Time to re-awake manifest destiny.I agree, ballvalve; you have the temperament and attitude to be the war minister. And you can cobble up weapons better than McGyver ever could. That cursor thing is going on again. WHO is F'in up this place? Grrrrrr. But you are angrier than I am.

Cookie
10-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Like,.. you didn't know, lol.

where's that list by the way? :) this could had been 2 of them for you!

Cookie
10-30-2011, 09:11 AM
Ian,must be at church. :)

Ian Gills
10-30-2011, 11:07 AM
That is what is great about freedom.

Waking up and not having to go to church.

Halloween tomorrow.

America is quite funny with halloween.

There are people here that are so churchy, they won't even go to a halloween party.

Quite incredible.

So, let's have a head count.

Who would and who would not let their three year old go to a Halloween party, in costume with bouncy castle and all?

I am a yea.

master plumber mark
10-30-2011, 11:21 AM
I would rather take them to a haloween party and have fun
than take them dragging and screaming to church

Cookie
10-30-2011, 11:30 AM
I am sitting here sewing halloween costumes, little pumpkins, for a childrens hospital halloween party. It is fun for the kids, why take the holiday so serious, this isn't Salem Mass anymore, lol. Let kids be kids. I sewed my youngest a costume one year, made him into, Cousin It.Well, the weather was so bad, trick n treating was called off, so, instead we went to supermarket where you could treat n trick, and they had a costume contest. He won first prize! Under all that yarn, when I said, " you won, you won;" I heard, this little squeaky little voice, say, " how much, how much?" He was so excited and that year, he bought himself with his Geofrey money, a 50 dollar Power Ranger mobile.

I am not saying there are not people who do not believe in Witchcraft, God, I know their are, but, I do not, and we celebrate to have fun. I will see if I have a picture of him from that year when he was 5. He was so cute... and still is. Just a bigger cute.

*Just so you know, I have been doing this at one of our childrens hospital since, I was a candystriper at age 13. I met Joe Namath once. I brought him a cold water pitcher, he was very nice and I got his autograph.

Cookie
10-30-2011, 12:30 PM
Ian, I could make you into ... let's see, Paul McCartney! or, one of those past kings, oh my... :)

Cookie
10-30-2011, 12:53 PM
...or, I could make you into an Cousin It. I would need more yarn, though, lol. Cute picture don't you think?

BobL43
10-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Ian,must be at church. :)

No, Ian was at Wallyworld looking for terrorists :D

http://www.naturalnews.tv/v.asp?v=5A4B5D4B84344D5D9CBD262A53D8B071

jimbo
10-30-2011, 04:12 PM
If I read the news correctly, a first born GIRL can be queen, but not if she is a NUN!!!!

LOTW
10-31-2011, 06:54 AM
That is what is great about freedom.

Waking up and not having to go to church.

Halloween tomorrow.

America is quite funny with halloween.

There are people here that are so churchy, they won't even go to a halloween party.

Quite incredible.

So, let's have a head count.

Who would and who would not let their three year old go to a Halloween party, in costume with bouncy castle and all?

I am a yea.

I am a big fan of halloween and my kids have and I hope always will enjoy the same. I am not sure, however, of Ian's premise that being pro-church makes one anti-Halloween. One of my kids goes to a public junior high, the others go to a Catholic school. The Catholic schoolers all went off to school this morning with their costumes and they will have their annual Halloween parade where they dress up and walk around the parking area. This is really cute and the grandparents love it. Halloween, however, has been banned from public school, apparently because the local Wiccans expressed that it was disrespectful of their religion. The title of the overpaid and underworked school district bueracrat that made this decision is Equity Coordinator, who is paid $100,000 per year to make sure that no one except Christian white heterosexuals are ever offended in the school district. He also recently resceduled one of my son's dances because it fell on Yom Kippur.

Ian Gills
10-31-2011, 07:51 AM
All I am saying is that there are some people in this country who do not embrace halloween on religious grounds.

You would not find groups like this in Europe where Christianity is less extreme.

I appreciate the historical reasons for this difference:

1) It was the stricter of the faith that came over on the boat here.

2) You had far fewer losses in World Wars I and II which tends to dent one's confidence in an Almighty.

These two factors also explain why America has "church traffic" and Europe does not.

LOTW
10-31-2011, 08:01 AM
Hey Ian, when you were growing up in Britain did you play with toy guns, cowboys and Indians, and toy soldiers? Any difference in being a kid there vs. here?

Ian Gills
10-31-2011, 08:04 AM
It was all the same. The times have changed but I did what you did back then.

Sunday school (that did not last long).

Running around in the woods with toy guns, climbing trees.

Riding bikes.

Fishing (with a permit).

Making go-carts.

Eating candy.

Shooting air pistols.

Carrying knives.

Lighting fires.

The last three we probably shouldn't have done.

Scouts.

Camping.

Drinking the odd can of beer.

American kids probably wouldn't do the last bit because the police will arrest kids here for doing that. In England they would just take the beer.

I think it is crazy what American police do to underage drinkers. And their parents.

BobL43
10-31-2011, 08:07 AM
I am a big fan of halloween and my kids have and I hope always will enjoy the same. I am not sure, however, of Ian's premise that being pro-church makes one anti-Halloween. One of my kids goes to a public junior high, the others go to a Catholic school. The Catholic schoolers all went off to school this morning with their costumes and they will have their annual Halloween parade where they dress up and walk around the parking area. This is really cute and the grandparents love it. Halloween, however, has been banned from public school, apparently because the local Wiccans expressed that it was disrespectful of their religion. The title of the overpaid and underworked school district bueracrat that made this decision is Equity Coordinator, who is paid $100,000 per year to make sure that no one except Christian white heterosexuals are ever offended in the school district. He also recently resceduled one of my son's dances because it fell on Yom Kippur.

here in the NY metro area, all public schools are closed on Yom Kippur, as there is a large population of Jewish students and teachers. If Halloween is banned here in public schools, it is for a different reason than offending anybody, like this article about NJ public schools http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/school-district-bans-halloween-costumes-20111020-ncx

They are concerned about it interfering with learning

LOTW
10-31-2011, 08:40 AM
here in the NY metro area, all public schools are closed on Yom Kippur, as there is a large population of Jewish students and teachers. If Halloween is banned here in public schools, it is for a different reason than offending anybody, like this article about NJ public schools http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/school-district-bans-halloween-costumes-20111020-ncx

They are concerned about it interfering with learning

I find baggy jeans worn below butt crack level and skimpy tops to be far more disruptive to education than a once-a-year costume.

BobL43
10-31-2011, 08:44 AM
I find baggy jeans worn below butt crack level and skimpy tops to be far more disruptive to education than a once-a-year costume. I agree, sounds like a job for crackspackle. I don't know how schools can allow those homeboy pants to school.

Cookie
10-31-2011, 09:14 AM
What do you think he saw, Ian?

She concluded her eulogy by sharing Jobs’ final moments, which were spent staring lovingly at his family, and his final three monosyllabic words as he stared into the distance past their shoulders: OH WOW. OH WOW. OH WOW.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/steve-jobs-final-words-shared-sister-eulogy-060321674.html

BobL43
10-31-2011, 09:18 AM
What do you think he saw, Ian?

She concluded her eulogy by sharing Jobsí final moments, which were spent staring lovingly at his family, and his final three monosyllabic words as he stared into the distance past their shoulders: OH WOW. OH WOW. OH WOW.

Wha? wha? Wha? a reply to a post in another thread? Got to look for it now.

Cookie
10-31-2011, 09:45 AM
sorry, no, Bob, I can move it and start another thread, I put it there because of the mention of church, church and God... and was reading about Steve Jobs and saw this, and thought, what did he see? that wowed him so. Maybe, God? If so, then, is going to church a bad thing? It just tied in to me, but, like I said, I can move it. That is no problemo. Didn't mean to confuse you, it is a "woman" thing, we all do well, lol. :)

Cookie
10-31-2011, 09:47 AM
Maybe, we should go to church and hold off on trick n treating, LOL...

Cookie
10-31-2011, 12:22 PM
Trick n Treating at the White House!

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/trick-or-treat-at-the-white-house-1320013499-slideshow/president-obama-first-lady-host-20111029-142826-351.html#crsl=%252Ffotos%252Ftrick-or-treat-at-the-white-house-1320013499-slideshow%252Fpresident-obama-first-lady-host-20111029-142826-351.html

WOW, I just clicked on that and now the page is missing, lol.