PDA

View Full Version : 1920's shower mixer - American Standard Re Nu ? B201 or B202

dradprice3
10-15-2011, 06:49 PM
I have what i believe is an american standard shower mixer. I think its a re -nu standard but cant find any info or pics of this despite searching on Google extensively.
initially it was leaking as the brass screw that hold the front plate on had corroded away. Replaced them and the gaskets with neoprene but when i reassembled i have a drip from the shower. The gaskets seem to be part of the two moving slides that are in the bores on each side. one is conical the other (hot?) has a bulb on the end.

Can anyone confirm the type of mixer and details on the gaskets. I dont want to pry them out as i will probably damage the worse than the little drip I have.

Any help gratefully received.

Adrian

hj
10-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Your valve is model B201 or B202 with washer joint sleeves or K-100R with ground joint sleeves. With an e-mail address, I could send a parts diagram.

dradprice3
10-18-2011, 06:27 PM
many thanks this is helpful!

dradprice3
11-05-2011, 06:41 AM
anyone aware of a source for the o rings for these mixers?

hj
11-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Brown's Partsmaster (www.BPIsite.com) should be able to help, although, if you have the old ones, and they are really "O" rings, (which I doubt since I do not think there were O rings in the 20a), any good hardware store should have them. Use the part number on the breakdown I sent and you will get the correct part.

dradprice3
02-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks. They weren't o rings but washers. I didn't realize the chokes unscrewed per the diagram. Thanks to you two 1920s showers are once again operational! Thanks!

Gwillie
02-13-2012, 08:02 PM
I am new to the forum and want to mention that I operate two of these old American Standard Shower valves installed in 1930. I have resealed them several times and never realized what a big deal finding new seals was. I made my own with a gasket cutter, and a drill press to turn down the washers to size.

The valves work great and until the pitting corrosion on the shaft creates a permanent leak, they will probably outlive me. My local plumbing supply probably sees two similar units a week for parts. Many folks are so attached to their old fixtures around this area that they contract to metal spray the shafts and turn them back to size. Overkill to be sure but perhaps a sense of satisfaction is gained. Thanks for showing the pictures since the diagrams seem to be fading into obscurity.

Gwillie

margox
03-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Your valve is model B201 or B202 with washer joint sleeves or K-100R with ground joint sleeves. With an e-mail address, I could send a parts diagram.

I believe I have the same vintage American Standard Re Nu mixing valve on a shower. It appears it has failed because I can only get lukewarm water in the shower. Water is nice and hot in adjacent sink. Do you know where I could get one of the above model mixing valves? So far, I have been told the parts were discontinued a long time ago.

jadnashua
03-14-2012, 01:53 PM
You could certainly get lucky, but how many things 80-90 years old are there still repair parts available for? Sometimes it's hard to find some for 10-year old stuff (the limit car parts are required to be available, but since they often get reused, newer model years still use them thus extending their availability).

joshdr
04-05-2012, 01:28 PM
I have one of these and need a parts diagram if somebody could send me one. joshodoner@gmail.com.

Thanks.

waltm
04-07-2012, 05:47 AM
I also have a model b201 or a b202 1920's shower mixer. can you please send me a parts diagram and where i can possibly order parts? waltermartzen@gmail.com

johnfrwhipple
04-07-2012, 07:07 AM

How do you know this so well. For years i have read your posts specifying exact parts and models. Do you have a photograhic memory? :) Or are you just organized?

jimbo
04-07-2012, 08:06 AM
How do you know this so well. For years i have read your posts specifying exact parts and models. Do you have a photograhic memory? :) Or are you just organized?

John.... as an apprentice plumber in the '20s, hj installed some of those valves!. He has been smart enough over the years to save the paperwork!!!

hj
04-07-2012, 08:59 AM
quote; as an apprentice plumber in the '20s

You overestimate my abilities. My dad didn't let me start working on them until the 50's.

waltm
08-20-2012, 07:33 PM
I was wondering if you might have a diagram of a renu mixer with the shower jets if you could please let me know waltermartzen@gmail.com thank you

336flyerfan
08-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Help!!!!

I'm in desperate need of the cold plunger that goes with this valve. I have checked all over metro detroit to no avail. From my understanding, this part has been long out of production. I've been able to find two hot plungers, but, nobody has the cold side. Does anybody know where I can find one? Please email me Rclevel2@me.com

jimmyp
09-26-2012, 08:26 PM
been inside several times and always have trouble getting it back together correctly...
any chance of getting a copy of the diagram?.. Is there a trick as to how you set the plumbers??? Out? In?

also are these valves supposed to be a positive shut off or simply act as a mixing valve?

any input you could give would be greatly appreciated....www.crzyftblhd@yahoo.com

jimmyp
09-26-2012, 08:30 PM
hi...could you please send me a copy of the diagram? Crzyftblhd@yahoo.com

also is there a trick to putting it back together? Should it function as a positive shut off?

Pumpguy1
10-19-2012, 10:47 AM
Hi "hj",
I too am looking to repair my ancient "Standard" shower. The pics posted at the start of this thread look identical to my shower. If you would be so kind, please send me a parts diagram to steveetzel@yahoo.com. Thank you!

dersh16
02-20-2013, 04:15 PM
Ihave this same mixer and need replacement washers. What position should the plungers be in when putting it all back together Thanks, Jack

dersh16
02-20-2013, 04:21 PM
Ihave this same mixer and need washers for replacement. Also when it goes back how are the plungers to be positioned when the spindles is put back in. Any help Thanks, Jack

336flyerfan
02-21-2013, 03:18 PM
Plungers should be pushed in all the way and then turn the handle clockwise. The stem is a double threaded stem so if it doesn't shut off correctly the first time, turn the handle 180 degrees and try again. You can get the washers frome Lowes...you'll need to buy the Danco faucet repair kit. You'll find the washer you need along with a bunch of other stuff you'll never use but it's only $4.

dersh16
02-23-2013, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the great info. One other thing if you don't mind. The plunger on the right side I can push in but can't get it out to change the washer. Other than prying it out with say a straight claw hammer, any tip?? Thanks, Jack

336flyerfan
02-25-2013, 03:27 AM
Thanks for the great info. One other thing if you don't mind. The plunger on the right side I can push in but can't get it out to change the washer. Other than prying it out with say a straight claw hammer, any tip?? Thanks, Jack

Don't pry anything...the plungers aren't available at this point anymore and are made of bronze. I am in the midst of having plungers reproduced from a set of originals to help solve the majority of issues people are experiencing with this valve. Meanwhile, try Blaster from home depot. You could also sparingly try vinegar...just don't leave it on much longer than 10 minutes and flush with water. You're going to need patience regardless.

dersh16
02-26-2013, 05:47 PM
I got it out with some heat. I put an acetylene torch on it for a bit and it loosened up. I made the washers with what I could put together from a local hardware and it is up and running with no leaks. Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions Jack

Jim Fleming
09-15-2013, 12:49 PM

Could I please get that diagram/parts list?
jfdogman@aol.com

Friend Dean
01-02-2014, 07:43 PM
I am in the process of making one of these Standard Shower Valves operational again - 22852

Fully disassembled - 22853

Friend Dean
01-02-2014, 08:50 PM
The Question I have is: There is a Thumb Screw on the Lid, that when removed, allows access to the Little Screw on the Hot Shuttle/Plunger - what does that Little Screw do? Adjustment for travel of Hot Shuttle? Like a Stop Screw?

Smooky
01-02-2014, 09:04 PM
Here is a parts diagram on page H-14 of this link:
http://standardsupplyco.com/site/1591stan/Tub_Shower_Repair_Bath_Accessories_1_of_2.pdf

http://www.standardsupplyco.com/catalog

Friend Dean
01-03-2014, 09:26 AM
Thank You - I actually downloaded this yesterday in the process of finding this forum.

336flyerfan
01-16-2014, 03:51 AM
The Question I have is: There is a Thumb Screw on the Lid, that when removed, allows access to the Little Screw on the Hot Shuttle/Plunger - what does that Little Screw do? Adjustment for travel of Hot Shuttle? Like a Stop Screw?

Great news for everyone who loves this old valve - Barry Walters now has the plungers for both the hot and cold side available. They work really well but you may need to shim your washers so it shuts off completely due to the wear pattern on your stem. These parts haven't been available in several decades!!!!

336flyerfan
01-16-2014, 03:52 AM
The little screw on the hot plunger is an early version of a scald protector.

InSearchofAmStdPlunger
04-01-2014, 04:57 PM
This is great news that this plungers are now available since I've been waiting 10 years to get a hot and a cold one. I search the Barry Walters site and didn't find any. Can you send me to the link so I can order these? Thanks ahead of time for the heads up!

336flyerfan
04-17-2014, 06:38 PM
This is great news that this plungers are now available since I've been waiting 10 years to get a hot and a cold one. I search the Barry Walters site and didn't find any. Can you send me to the link so I can order these? Thanks ahead of time for the heads up!

Goto www.barrywalter.com you'll need to talk with Barry Sr directly at 970 867-3858. The plungers are not listed in his catalog. This company is a first class operation and Barry is a really busy guy (might need to leave a few messages).