View Full Version : Shower leak, identifying type

10-09-2011, 11:23 AM
I have a leak in my shower that comes from the hand held shower head. It seems to leak from hot water. It is a 3 handle faucet that says Gerber on the piece that comes off the handle. I have done some research and I think I may need to change the cartridge but I dont know which one is the right one. I am hesitant to mess around with it due to age (and my wife telling me not to) and was wondering if there is a way to identify it by a photo. I appreciate any help the forum is able to provide.

10-09-2011, 01:34 PM
These days, identifying the brand name is most of the battle. Gerber has been around for a while. Chances are if you take out the hot stem, your local hardware store or plumbing supply will have it. I don't see enough Gerbers to tell you just from the outside which stem it is, but one of the other guys might.

Plan on replacing both stems, and both inside seats. It is a little metal fitting that unscrews with a "seat wrench" which you can get at any hardware store for $10. If you don't change it, odds are it is roughed up a little and will eat the new rubber washers in short order. Not hard or expensive to replace it.

10-10-2011, 05:38 AM
Thanks Jimbo.
My follow up question would be, how does the handle come off? Does it have to be pulled or is it threaded on?

10-10-2011, 06:41 AM
A hardware store will have a handle puller. You put the stem of the puller in the screw hole, and hook the finger arms behind the handle, and twist the screw on the puller. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=faucet%20handle%20puller&op=search&Ntt=faucet%20handle%20puller&N=0&sst=subset&cm_mmc=PPC:%20Google-_-Hand%20Tools%20-%20Plumbing%20Tools-_-Handle%20Puller-_-faucet%20handle%20puller&cm_guid=1-_-100000000000001800549-_-7465428263