PDA

View Full Version : Lessons in English

Ian Gills
09-29-2011, 11:04 AM
If you guys ever go to England, I guess you had better learn some English.

So here goes.

http://sellfiles.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/shopping-cart.jpg

A SHOPPING TROLLEY

Ian Gills
09-29-2011, 11:05 AM
http://rollinsd.com/wp-content/uploads/elevator.jpg

A LIFT

ballvalve
09-29-2011, 11:10 AM
Where is the coin slot on your trolley? Tell the Americans about that system.

Ian Gills
09-29-2011, 11:46 AM
Thanks Ballvalve.

There was, and perhaps still is, a problem in England where instead of carrying one's shopping home, people would just take their shopping home in the trolley and then never return it. Consequently, shopping trolleys were often found dumped. More often than not in rivers. To stop this, many supermarkets now require people to put cash in a coin slot in the trolley in order to use it, which is refunded when the trolley is returned to the supermarket (much like the system you have for luggage carts at US airports).

This is not needed in American supermarkets. It is not needed in American supermarkets because unlike in England it is not physically possible to walk to the shop. Sidewalks simply disappear. Consequently there are no coin slots but there is lots of American-made global warming from all those Americans having to drive to get their groceries.

You only really get why the world is warming up when you come to America. All those cars. All those people unwilling to walk or take the bus. All those people thinking they are entitled to drive.

Except Jimbo.

BobL43
09-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Thanks Ballvalve.

There was, and perhaps still is, a problem in England where instead of carrying one's shopping home, people would just take their shopping home in the trolley and then never return it. Consequently, shopping trolleys were often found dumped. More often than not in rivers. To stop this, many supermarkets now require people to put cash in a coin slot in the trolley in order to use it, which is refunded when the trolley is returned to the supermarket (much like the system you have for luggage carts at US airports).

This is not needed in American supermarkets. It is not needed in American supermarkets because unlike in England it is not physically possible to walk to the shop. Sidewalks simply disappear. Consequently there are no coin slots but there is lots of American-made global warming from all those Americans having to drive to get their groceries.

You only really get why the world is warming up when you come to America. All those cars. All those people unwilling to walk or take the bus. All those people thinking they are entitled to drive.

Except Jimbo.
Yeah, thats what happens with a big sprawling country. A little crowded country is MUCH better. The illegals keep coming here because it's so bad here and it it costs them so much for their free medical treatment, which is so, so much worse than the shitholes they come from.

Ian Gills
09-29-2011, 02:21 PM
I am not sure what that has got to do with the price of fish Bob.

But illegals certainly don't come to America for the medical treatment! Or the pensions! Or the handouts!

(There aren't any).

Immigrants come here to earn a salary, which they promptly send home.

I doubt many of them retire in the States either.

The incomes in America are pretty good. But the public services leave a lot to be desired.

Which is why most of the bridges are in a state of disrepair. Being caught in traffic on an American interstate is terrifying.

You get to see the crumbling pillars up close!

I have come to the sad conclusion that America's high incomes are being subsidized by a society and a country that is falling apart due to excessively low taxes and inadequate spending. American jobs are being propped up by unsustainable cheap gas, without which the country would grind to a halt.

America in ten years will be a very different place. I hope it will still be here.

The one thing that always shines through is its innovation. But this will be a tall order.

BobL43
09-29-2011, 03:11 PM
I am not sure what that has got to do with the price of fish Bob.

But illegals certainly don't come to America for the medical treatment! Or the pensions! Or the handouts!

(There aren't any).

Immigrants come here to earn a salary, which they promptly send home.

I doubt many of them retire in the States either.

The incomes in America are pretty good. But the public services leave a lot to be desired.

Which is why most of the bridges are in a state of disrepair. Being caught in traffic on an American interstate is terrifying.

You get to see the crumbling pillars up close!

I have come to the sad conclusion that America's high incomes are being subsidized by a society and a country that is falling apart due to excessively low taxes and inadequate spending. American jobs are being propped up by unsustainable cheap gas, without which the country would grind to a halt.

America in ten years will be a very different place. I hope it will still be here.

The one thing that always shines through is its innovation. But this will be a tall order.

open up your eyes and ears Ian. they get free medical treatment at the hospital emergency rooms (required by government). they get handouts from the neighborhood churches they live near. pensions, no, you are correct about that. excessively low taxes? we've done that already.

by the way, we say in the US what does that have to do with the price of onions?

And, you don't like it here. Have we ever suggested that if you don't like it, you always have the option to go home.

You're not going to change anything here cause you can't vote, which is a good thing in my opinion.

gasoline taxes per state plus Federal tax of 18 cents per gallon as shown: www.gaspricewatch.com/usgastaxes.asp (http://www.gaspricewatch.com/usgastaxes.asp)

LLigetfa
09-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Where is the coin slot on your trolley? Tell the Americans about that system.We have coin slots in Canada. It's not to keep people from taking them home, it's simply to get people to return the carts to the corral rather than leave them about in the parking lot. They don't want to pay a bag boy to gather up the carts.

We still abandon the carts in the parking lot and leave the quarter in the slot so someone else can use the cart without paying ransom.

Nobody walks to the store around here. Everyone drives and they mostly drive 4x4 pickups or SUVs.

Ian Gills
09-29-2011, 04:33 PM
They leave the coin in the slot for the next person?

Canadians are nice. Whatever way you cut the cake.

And I do like it here Bob. But there's no harm in wanting a couple of bridges fixed is there?

You don't have to like everything about something to still like it.

It's like steak. Sometimes it's a cooked a little bit over done but I still eat it.

America's like that.

But you're clearly in heaven here. And that's great to hear.

Cookie
09-30-2011, 01:07 AM
I wonder how many people are standing in the unemployment line due to those people who are in our country illegally.

Ian Gills
09-30-2011, 05:26 AM
The sad reality is that most of those illegal workers do work ordinary Americans would not want to do.

Fruit picking. Domestic work. All the lowest paid stuff.

So the only impacts are positive. Because American consumers have access to cheap labor and the country benefits from the taxes paid by these workers without having to give anything in return.

There's a reason why your borders are open. And it's the same reason America does anything. Self interest.

LLigetfa
09-30-2011, 05:32 AM
...the country benefits from the taxes paid by these workers...Do they pay income taxes or get paid cash under the table? Many I've met don't spend much of their earnings here to fuel the local economy (trickle down reaganomics) but rather send most of the money home to their family.

Ian Gills
09-30-2011, 05:35 AM
It's very difficult to avoid the IRS if you want to be able to do anything in this country.

The system is quite ingenious. Everything is linked up so they soon find out who you are. Bank accounts. Driving licenses. Being mentioned on someone else's tax return. They're all cross-checked.

And the IRS makes paying taxes very easy. They don't ask to see your status when you send the check.

I think you can even pay taxes without a social. And many illegals do that.

They've never asked to see my status when I pay.

But they're quick to send a letter if I'm late!

LLigetfa
09-30-2011, 05:46 AM
There is a huge black market economy here. Many products and/or services have essentially two prices, one with receipt, and one paid cash. I'm not talking about illegal alien labour either, just people avoiding sales tax and declared income. Apparently the Canadian tax system is more easily skirted.

BobL43
09-30-2011, 07:39 AM
I wonder how many people are standing in the unemployment line due to those people who are in our country illegally.

Of the 312 Million residents in the US, the Hispanic population is about 49 million, and there are approx 13 million Illegal aliens supposedly from south of the border plus from other nations. so almost 1/4 of the Hispanic population here is illegal. I have no problem with legal resisdents of the US from wherever they are from on this planet. Of the 13 million above mentioned illegals, there is a very large number of them doing jobs that US citizens and legal residents could be doing. I disagree that all those jobs that they do here are those that US citizens are unwilling to do (at normal par scales). The illegals are being taken advantage of by employers that underpay them by US standards. Yes, they send most of their money home, because they rent houses or buy a house and 20 to 30 of them share the house and its costs, and eventually turn the house and the neighborhood in a ghetto. Once they are in, it is difficult legally to evict them. The authorities in many communities are unwilling to enforce immigration laws. They pay no income taxes. If they need medical attention, they go to an ER and the hospital is obligated to triage them and help them for free, up to what point I am not sure.
:eek:

LOTW
09-30-2011, 07:39 AM
Thanks Ballvalve.

Except Jimbo.

Here the best (and cheapest) local grocery stores employ clean cut, articulate high school students to reload one's trolley after the groceries are paid for, push the trolley to the customer's vehicle, unload the groceries into the car, and then return the cart to the store. They will also carry groceries to the local bus stop for people who arrive by bus. All very civilized, and it is a pleasure to see young kids (14+) develop good communication skills and a work ethic. These stores are closed on Sundays, so Ian may have an issue with that. But this practice is certainly one of the reasons I shop there.

BobL43
09-30-2011, 07:51 AM
They leave the coin in the slot for the next person?

Canadians are nice. Whatever way you cut the cake.

And I do like it here Bob. But there's no harm in wanting a couple of bridges fixed is there?

You don't have to like everything about something to still like it.

It's like steak. Sometimes it's a cooked a little bit over done but I still eat it.

America's like that.

But you're clearly in heaven here. And that's great to hear. Look Ian, the US as far as I am concerned, although not perfect, is the best place in the world to live except for Hawaii. Oh wait, that is the US. All you want to do is have MORE taxes collected from the working people and give it away to the lazy. I already have 1/3 of my wages taken by taxes and pay 8.62% sales tax on most everything I buy, plus pay $8K/year real estate tax. There is only so much to give before its just not worth working anymore and become 'one of them". I'm not ready or willing for that to happen. I think you actually would prefer the entire world to go back to the Medieval days and have us all be serfs and peons, letting the royalty give us what we might or might not need (their choice). Kind of like a bee colony. What would you be; oh! the beloved tax collector for the royalty:rolleyes:

LLigetfa
09-30-2011, 08:03 AM
Our local grocery still offers a carry-out service albeit one then has to wait for the bag boy to be paged. We generally decline the offer but the wife sometimes takes advantage of it if heavy items are involved and I'm not with her. I don't care to pay ransom to get a cart as I never carry coins in my pocket so if I can find an abandoned cart, I'm happy and I repay the favor by leaving the unshacked cart for the next person even if I had to make change to ransom a cart.

I have the same attitude toward self-serve gas, going out of my way to find full service. Unfortunately, full service gas bars are getting fewer and farther in between and I find myself pumping my own more often. It's not that pumping my own gas is beneath me, but rather that I'm taking food out of someone's mouth so that gas stations can make more profit.

It seems that many people no longer give tips as we often get a surprised reaction when we tip someone. Has tips become a form of charity that is insulting? When we eat out at a restaurant, we don't tip the owner if/when given personal service because that could be insulting but we do tip the staff.

BobL43
09-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Our local grocery still offers a carry-out service albeit one then has to wait for the bag boy to be paged. We generally decline the offer but the wife sometimes takes advantage of it if heavy items are involved and I'm not with her. I don't care to pay ransom to get a cart as I never carry coins in my pocket so if I can find an abandoned cart, I'm happy and I repay the favor by leaving the unshacked cart for the next person even if I had to make change to ransom a cart.

I have the same attitude toward self-serve gas, going out of my way to find full service. Unfortunately, full service gas bars are getting fewer and farther in between and I find myself pumping my own more often. It's not that pumping my own gas is beneath me, but rather that I'm taking food out of someone's mouth so that gas stations can make more profit.

It seems that many people no longer give tips as we often get a surprised reaction when we tip someone. Has tips become a form of charity that is insulting? When we eat out at a restaurant, we don't tip the owner if/when given personal service because that could be insulting but we do tip the staff.Here in the NY metro area and most places I've been to around the US, food service employees (waiters/waitresses) get paid a very small wage below minimum wage. In NY metro, it is about $4 and change an hour, and their real income is trom tips, so they depend on it. when I go to family owned restaurants and I get served by an owner, I leave the same tip for him/her as I would for an employee because here, the tips are pooled and shared with the bus boys, cooks etc. I generally leave about 18 to 20% tip, always rounding it up to the next dollar. I like it that way. bad service: reflected in the tip unless I get an acceptable apology. In Europe, the gratuity is built in. European wait staff can tend to be more professional, maybe, but if the service is not to your liking, too bad, they still get their built in gratuity. If it is exceptional, I give extra, even though it is unexpected by them. I never felt I insulted anybody by rewarding them for good service.

BobL43
09-30-2011, 09:14 AM
If you guys ever go to England, I guess you had better learn some English.

So here goes.

http://sellfiles.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/shopping-cart.jpg

A SHOPPING TROLLEY

US trolley: http://www.google.com/search?q=trolley+car+pictures&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8

US lift: http://www.google.com/search?q=face+lift+pictures&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8

If I go back to England, I'll be sure to take some Imodium with me too:p. And TUMS, and anti nausea medication. Uurp!

LLigetfa
09-30-2011, 09:24 AM
If I go back to England, I'll be sure to take some Imodium with me too:p. And TUMS, and anti nausea medication. Uurp!If you go for health care for your GERD, it's GORD over there.

ballvalve
09-30-2011, 10:59 AM

We don't charge for our trolleys because the ACLU would take up a suit for depriving the homeless of living spaces. Someone designed a fold out top and tent for carts just for the guys living near the overpass.

He may be doing quite a business in the coming years.

Choose your overpass carefully, when the next Madrid quake hits the East coast, your overpass will likely be a rubble heap.

LOTW
09-30-2011, 11:24 AM
[
QUOTE=ballvalve;314698]We don't charge for our trolleys because the ACLU would take up a suit for depriving the homeless of living spaces. Someone designed a fold out top and tent for carts just for the guys living near the overpass.

I believe that if many of these homeless would have had the initiative to get a job pushing a grocery trolley to a customer's car when they were 14 (or if their parent/parents made them do so) that they would not be living out of one when they were 40. I greatly admire the grocery stores which apparently feel the same way and offer these jobs.

Cookie
09-30-2011, 04:39 PM
and, I am tired of having to hear, push one for Spanish, two for English...
Then, I push it, then, I hear it repeated in Spanish.

The same with the ATM's. I got a selection of 5 languages. Once, I pushed the wrong button just to see the results, I think it was Mandarin Chinese, and, I couldn't get out of it. Try it!

The cars were beeping behind me, one man yelling out his window at me, in none the less, SPANISH! I am looking at Chinese, getting yelled in Spanish, but, I was swearing to myself in English.

I would had made my dad proud, for I can swear in at least 11 languages. :)

but, I have a relative who asks, " do you have to swear?"
Yehss, si, oui, ja, sim, ken, sea, jes, hai, ndyio, gee, Oo, shi, areh, yaw, and lastly, aye!

BobL43
09-30-2011, 05:49 PM
and, I am tired of having to hear, push one for Spanish, two for English...
Then, I push it, then, I hear it repeated in Spanish.

The same with the ATM's. I got a selection of 5 languages. Once, I pushed the wrong button just to see the results, I think it was Mandarin Chinese, and, I couldn't get out of it. Try it!

The cars were beeping behind me, one man yelling out his window at me, in none the less, SPANISH! I am looking at Chinese, getting yelled in Spanish, but, I was swearing to myself in English.

I would had made my dad proud, for I can swear in at least 11 languages. :)

but, I have a relative who asks, " do you have to swear?"
Yehss, si, oui, ja, sim, ken, sea, jes, hai, ndyio, gee, Oo, shi, areh, yaw, and lastly, aye!

C'est tres heureaux mon ami

pardon, drole

Cookie
09-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Je me considere chanceux et heureux dans la plupart des cas, mais pas tout. La ou je me trouve pour etre malheureux, je juste fais la plupart et l'appelle bonne. Rien n'est jamais parfait, excepte le mon jurez les mots en francais. :)

Cookie
09-30-2011, 06:52 PM
See, this site explains the "need" for swearing.
http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2009/03/30/why-do-we-swear/

ballvalve
09-30-2011, 08:51 PM
gasoline taxes per state plus Federal tax of 18 cents per gallon as shown: www.gaspricewatch.com/usgastaxes.asp

It shows California at 18 cents and Nevada at 27 cents. Yet when I go to Nevada for desert camping and ghost towning, gas is automatically 10 cents per gallon cheaper in Nevada [much farther from any refinery]

So that must not be all of the story.

ballvalve
09-30-2011, 09:03 PM
See, this site explains the "need" for swearing.
http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2009/03/30/why-do-we-swear/

Bloody good reading, all that from a man with bollocks for a brainstem. We swear because those trolleys sometimes dont return your Crown or Zloty or euro, and they booted your car for parking on the white line. Or because we were tut-tutted by some moron in lederhosen at the airport.

BobL43
10-01-2011, 04:28 AM
;)
Je me considere chanceux et heureux dans la plupart des cas, mais pas tout. La ou je me trouve pour etre malheureux, je juste fais la plupart et l'appelle bonne. Rien n'est jamais parfait, excepte le mon jurez les mots en francais.

It is what it is. All we can do is make the best of what we are dealt. Votre français est bien meilleure que la mienne j'il étudie en Junior High, a obtenu un 93 sur le test de NY État régents, mais n'a jamais vraiment eu la chance de l'utiliser. Your French is much better than mine I studied it in Junior High, got a 93 on the NY State Regents test, but never really got a chance to use it.:)

ballvalve
10-01-2011, 04:37 AM
Life alternates between Joie de vivre and ennui. And then we die.

The Czechs have a most beautiful word, Litost, Milan Kundera wrote quite a bit about it, and no language has a comparitive phrase with such sad nuance to it. Czech has elements of romance and sadness, that it can make French look like a african language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Laughter_and_Forgetting

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Litost%20%5BLee'%20-%20toast%5D

And finally, one that can be insantly translated into French, with a detailed explanation. I am afraid that not many will appreciate or be interested in this magical insight into human nature.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://liebeslust.blogspot.com/2007/10/quest-ce-que-la-litost.html&ei=Wf6GTpDlG4fniALwpuXIDA&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CGUQ7gEwCQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dlitost%26hl%3Den%26prmd%3Dimvns

Ian Gills
10-01-2011, 06:39 AM
This all went a bit mad yesterday, didn't it?

I still feel uncomfortable with this notion of illegal immigrants.

In 1776 you were all illegal. And tax hoppers to boot.

And now you're starting to whinge about exactly the same things as the English did when you stole the King's land.

Yes, you were here first. But the English were here before you. And the Indians before them.

Cookie
10-01-2011, 06:48 AM
I cheated. I used Babel. :)
Although, I studied french in high school 4 long years. Kind of hard to remember, maybe, we should push the "french" buttons on the ATM. A refresher course so to speak.

;)

It is what it is. All we can do is make the best of what we are dealt. Votre français est bien meilleure que la mienne j'il étudie en Junior High, a obtenu un 93 sur le test de NY État régents, mais n'a jamais vraiment eu la chance de l'utiliser. Your French is much better than mine I studied it in Junior High, got a 93 on the NY State Regents test, but never really got a chance to use it.:)

Cookie
10-01-2011, 07:27 AM
Hola, si.
here is a picture of a new statue that is in a town, where my dad grew up. It is beautiful the statue is, not the small town itself, (it is runned down) but the statue, overlooks the city and its river. You can see the city in the background.
http://www.photodom.com/photo/2223647
I was standing in a store, a kind of offbeat stoe a couple of years ago with a girlfriend, she wanted to buy healing stones, and, the owner's friend, an old woman came over to me, saying, " you are a beautiful squaw, lovely cheek bones and hair" and started to touch me, my face, my hair and I started to pull away. lol. But, the weirdest thing she did do, which was so strange, was she started to say ( and you cannot tell by looking at me at all, at least not now or back then) " you are sick...and, started to touch me again, lol. But, this was so strange because she said, " your arm, your neck, your chest" and, I stood there while she stopped touching me, ( thankfully) but, now was gliding her hands over me, with like air between us, saying, " you are so sick" and, started to cry, saying, " you are a strong squaw" but, one so sick. What was weird was, it is my arm, my neck and my chest. She continued gliding her hands over me, and stopped at my ankle, looking up at me, saying, " it is here" and, she was right. I had long pants on, she couldn't see the surgery scars on my ankle so, no way she could had known. I don't limp, or drag it like Egor ( Igor) either. Just an interesting picture, and kind of interesting story.

This all went a bit mad yesterday, didn't it?

I still feel uncomfortable with this notion of illegal immigrants.

In 1776 you were all illegal. And tax hoppers to boot.

And now you're starting to whinge about exactly the same things as the English did when you stole the King's land.

Yes, you were here first. But the English were here before you. And the Indians before them.

BobL43
10-01-2011, 07:47 AM
I cheated. I used Babel. :)
Although, I studied french in high school 4 long years. Kind of hard to remember, maybe, we should push the "french" buttons on the ATM. A refresher course so to speak. time to repent for me too. I used bing translate as an aid. I know a few words, but putting them into a meaningful sentence may come out like "I like chicken soup on wednesday" instead of "I understand how you feel"

ballvalve
10-01-2011, 12:50 PM
You should all be filled with harsh feelings of 'litost'.

BobL43
10-01-2011, 03:03 PM
You should all be filled with harsh feelings of 'litost'.

nah, just a little verklempt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDXEgBh0TF0

TJanak
10-02-2011, 08:10 PM
I'd rather be filled with kolace.

Or kolaches as we have Americanized it. I even grow my own poppyseed.

ballvalve
10-02-2011, 08:31 PM
A Janak would understand litost and kolace and poppyseed. But be careful, lots of recipes for how to get very "high" on poppyseed on the net these days.