Toto Ultra Max water leakage

Users who are viewing this thread

HBSIG

Reaction score
Hi, I bought a Toto Ultra Max after reading about it on this site. However, I have a problem (Called Tech support)

We first had a drip into the lower pipe. Turned off water 1 week and the water level didn't go down. Turned the toilet back on----then dripping again. Tech support didn't know. I sent an email---no reply. We turned down the water pressure and that seemed to help. But still a concern---- As we "PASS WATER" into it you can hear trinking of water out into the pipe. (like when you dump water in a toilet bowl--it will cause it to flush).

We also installed a new Kohler in another bath and no such problem with it (even before we turned down water pressure---actually no problem at all with kohler).

I wish we'd got 2 kohlers. We decided to try the Toto for the second bath after reading your site info.\

Can you tell me what's the deal with this toto ultra max?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From my limited experience with the Totos, they appear to have a very shallow angle on the trapway (that helps to keep them from clogging). This means that any movement will slosh a little water over the trap, and while it is filling, after it reaches the max it can hold, all that goes into the bowl fill tube will cause some to trickle out. Same thing happens when you add something. Does the sound eventually stop? My guess is that it does...this is normal. My unprofessional opinion.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When any brand of toilet leaks water, there are several things to look at.
Most flappers and fill valves on toilets are made by two companies.
Korky and Fluidmaster.

First check to see if the flapper is holding water in the tank.

Next, check to see if the fill valve is shutting off.
If it's not shutting off, it will tend to overfill the tank.

toto_cst854_inside_tank.jpg

To repair a Korky fill valve

Sometimes a fill valve just needs to be cleaned.

Last edited:

HBSIG

Reaction score
Toto

Thanks Terry and Jadnashua. Toto called me today (after I emailed them several tiems and wrote a letter on Nov. 5). The caller said that Totos trapway contains a high level of water to prevent gases from going back into home. That when water is added, some goes out to keep the level somewhat constant. So I guess there is no problem with the Toto. He said all toilets do the same. I have never heard water trinkling out before the Toto. Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Overfilling the bowl

briggs_1.jpg

Briggs bowl

All toilet bowls are overfilled. It doesn't matter what the brand is, the bowl always gets overfilled to prevent underfilling.

Whenever you pull the tank lid off, and see the rubber tube that goes from the fill valve to the overflow tube, that's the bowl filling (overfill) device.

It's also figured into the 1.6 gallon flush figures.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You should not hear the water sound continualy only for a short time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks