Toilet for very small powder room (guest bathroom)

Users who are viewing this thread

TigNander

Reaction score
My girlfriend decided it was time to update our very small (5' x 4.5') powder room. To make a long story short, we gutted the room, ripped off all the old drywall, 5 layers of tile and vinyl floor, got rid of the old 60's toilet and vanity. Replaced all the drywall, painted. Went shopping for a toilet. Discovered that the round bowl Kohler Wellness the girlfriend got at big box store is too big for the facing door to swing closed. The old toilet had about 1/2" clearance from the door.

The powder room is approx 5' x 4.5' with the door facing where the toilet goes. We are looking for a toilet that will fit, and its very difficult by looking at specs whether a toilet will fit or not. I did a scale drawing of the floor with the walls, location of the flange, and traced the door opening and took it to some dealers.

powderroom.jpg

I got several suggestions for possible toilets. One common suggestion was that the Toto Ultimate RB might fit. I looked up some reviews for the Ultimate they are basically favourable although one poster on this site said that it often took more that one flush to clear the bowl and that the bowl was streaked. I checked the MAP rating for the Ultimate on www.map-testing.com and it shows =>400. A couple of dealers told me that anything greater than 700 is good, but it looks like the map for the ultimate is somewhat less.

We did consider moving the soil pipe a few inches but would rather avoid if possible.

I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for high performing toilets that might fit into the tight dimensions.

Thanks in advance.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Look at the specs for Toto toilets on this forum. Just go to the top of this page and click on "Toilet Reviews". Then "Shopping" followed by "Toto". You should also be aware that Kohler toilets are not highly recommended by plumbers on this forum. MAPP ratings are often over emphasized, and and any thing over 500 is overkill. If your rough-in is 11-1/2" from the finished wall to the center of the flange, most 12" rough-in toilets will fit. If you moved the flange to 10", you would greatly reduce your options on toilets. A Toto is definitely the best toilet brand regardless of the model you select.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
According to your "scale drawing" you should have about 36" from the back wall to the door, and if so ANY toilet will fit. The standard dimension for a 12" round front toilet is about 27" from the wall to the front of it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The MaP testing for the Ultimate was done years ago using paste.
Now they use plastic which slides easily through the trapway, and the numbers all look higher.
I had one installed in the home for two years without plugging it in a guest bath that saw a lot of use during parties.

Any toilet in the last twenty years will use less water then before.
If you're comparing 1970 to 2011, then yes, things have changed a bit.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your drawing shows one endpoint of the 11 1/2 inch dimension in the middle of the wall, which does not make sense.
Every toilet manufacturer that I know of provides dimensioned drawings of their products on their websites, from which you can
easily determine if a given model will fit.
If you ever decide to move the flange, you really should consider a corner toilet, just because they're so cool.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A corner toilet?
Only Eljer makes one. You're pretty limited in the future with one.
updated 2012, the Titan is now an American Standard product.

titan_corner_rough.jpg

Anything over 500 grams is good.
The EPA gives their Watersense label if it does 350 grams.

Last edited:

telero

Reaction score
If you hadn't already done the drywall work I would have suggested installing a pocket door and not having to worry about the size of the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks