View Full Version : Oval Offset Flange ?????

09-13-2011, 10:56 AM
I am gutting the small guest bathroom. Tomorrow the plumber is coming to tear out and replace the existing tub. I asked him about replacing and/or moving the flange.

As you can see this is an Oval shaped Offset flange and the water has to take an immediate sharp turn to the back to drain. To me it looks way too sharp.

In addition this flange was installed because the builder put the initial drain only 9" from the wall. With this flange the rough-in is 10". I have a 10" Rough in Toto installed and it is going back in after all the floor tile is torn out and replaced next week.

Another issue is that the center of the drain is 16" from the tub on the right side and 14" from the small vanity that will be installed on the left side as you are looking at the toilet.

Should I have the plumber replace this flange with a new offset (not oval)?
Should I also ask him to move the Flange?

Estimate was $150 to replace the Flange or $600 to Move and replace the flange and re-cement and level the floor properly around the new flange, assuming it is possible, based on existing pitch.

What are you thoughts?


09-13-2011, 12:41 PM
After thinking about this here are my thoughts. Let me know if this makes sense.

If the plumber installs a standard offset flange with an adjustable ring that is 2" offset as at the angle shown in the diagram below this would solve the alignment issues.

The new center would move approximately 1.4" to 10.4" from the wall and 1.4” to the right which would pretty much center the opening between the tub and the vanity. Does that make sense?



09-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Here is new offset flange after concrete chipped out, old flange cut out and new flange dry fitted waiting for new concrete to be installed.

It looks like it will work out very well.