Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
I have a question about something which happens at a place where I work part time. There is an old radio, one of those big radios, kind of like a boom box but, it has a CD player, etc. Well, the on & off knob doesn't work unless, a wire is stuck in the side of it, to keep it on, I think. It is not making a connection to anywhere inside, it is just that it fits in the opening. So, something is wrong with the knob. Now, my question is this. Tonite, the person in charge moved it to under a big rack of clothes. The clothes are draped all over it. When I moved the clothes the wire fell out and it shut off. The outlet nearly, falls out of the wall with it. Now, I mentioned to this person-in-charge, that this may not be too wise. I got an earful, got reminded of my postion of lowly salesclerk and was told it is either hidden or no radio. That was not my point, I don't care if it is on or not, only that it doesn't seem top safe to me, with all those clothes draped on it. Now, am I right in my thinking, incase this thing is shorted or I am just being extreme in my thinking, and it is kosher. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you are a very wise person and should the fire marshal make their inspection the boss will see just how wise you are.

I totally agree with you that the boss should be demoted to parking lot attendant and not allowed to re-enter the building

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Cookie it is time to tell THAT moron off too. Your safety is too important to fool around with. Is that radio played for customers' pleasure? It could be very dangerous. I would call the fire marshall as jw suggested.

Cookie

Reaction score
It is played for the customers shopping experience, lol. It's a real trip in there.

I do tell them things all the time. For instance, the loose outlets, garbage bags and boxes stacked in front of the back exit door, leaving the circuit box panel door open, especially when the ceiling above is leaking, clearly, noticeable since the tiles are missing.

Small things like that. ;)

If I mentioned where I worked ( which I can't or shouldn't) you would die laughing from the irony of it.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Cookie it is time to tell THAT moron off too. Your safety is too important to fool around with. Is that radio played for customers' pleasure? It could be very dangerous. I would call the fire marshall as jw suggested.

Don't know how wise that would be, since, it helps to pays the bills & to eat. But, part of the conversation went like this, I said, " I am just trying to tell you... and, I was trying to say, you are going to burn baby, lol, no seriously, I was trying to say, a fire is a possiblity; and, she kept saying, ... and, I am telling you... that it is hidden or no radio; which I said, " look, I am just..." again, she broke in with... I am just telling you...

I walked away, and made a mental note to put a personal use fire extinguisher in my purse.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Sometimes, it is hard to tell when a post was entered, as often, it will show my eastern time posts showing at west coast time. Anybody else notice this? This usually happens early morning.:confused:

Cookie

Reaction score
Bob, I am eastern time, it is now 1:27 in the afternoon.
I am finishing up some paperwork for the job I like, lol, then, getting ready to go back in to the job I don't like. Can you guess which one? :)

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Bob, I am eastern time, it is now 1:27 in the afternoon.
I am finishing up some paperwork for the job I like, lol, then, getting ready to go back in to the job I don't like. Can you guess which one? :)

you're going to the place with the scary radio?

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
I got my purse ready, lol.
So, i can put out the radio fire. You think you got problems. ;)

Ps. yes, pittsburg has that many bridges but, i am closer to NY. Everyone in the south thought I was from the bronx. Could it be that accent?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A shot story...I was in the army in El Paso, Tx, living in the barracks. They were having (and ongoing) thefts from the rooms (should have been locked, but hey who cares) and as a result in the long building, they decided to put chains on some of the fire doors to force people to go in and out by the office rather than the shortest, or easiest way. This would mean a potential catastrophy if there was a real fire. I thought this was wrong, and it is against federal law (at least on federal property) to block a fire exit against egress, you don't have to let anyone in by the door though. Well, I'd call the fire marshall, he'd come over give them hell, take the chains off. then, a few days later, they'd show up again. This went on for awhile, and eventually, they gave up on the chains. Some people just don't get the hint - they need a good whack up side the head.

An anonymous letter to the appropriate safety people in the town might cause them to clean up their act. If you get fired, sue them for enough so you don't need to work there for awhile.

Cookie

Reaction score
What is funny, I went into work there tonite, and the scary radio was gone. I was looking under all the clothes everywhere, the customers were watching me. I knew it had to be there somewhere just not turned on. I didn't find it. So, I went into the back room, got to be in there, I know it. Nothing. I looked in the bathroom where the person in charge counts the TP rolls, nothing. The only place I didn't check was the dumpster. I don't like looking in there. I find strange things in there.

I checked the date that last time the store was inspected, it is due. You should see the kitchen set-up, you want to see scary. I don't go there too often. I don't like the looks of the electrical set up. And, there has been a dead fly sitting in someone's soup cup for ages, it is actually beyond recognition anymore. It deserves a proper burial but, it ain't my fly, nor my cup.

Not bad advice Jad.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
What is funny, I went into work there tonite, and the scary radio was gone. I was looking under all the clothes everywhere, the customers were watching me. I knew it had to be there somewhere just not turned on. I didn't find it. So, I went into the back room, got to be in there, I know it. Nothing. I looked in the bathroom where the person in charge counts the TP rolls, nothing. The only place I didn't check was the dumpster. I don't like looking in there. I find strange things in there.

I checked the date that last time the store was inspected, it is due. You should see the kitchen set-up, you want to see scary. I don't go there too often. I don't like the looks of the electrical set up. And, there has been a dead fly sitting in someone's soup cup for ages, it is actually beyond recognition anymore. It deserves a proper burial but, it ain't my fly, nor my cup.

Not bad advice Jad.

maybe a customer found it under the clothing and walked out the store without paying!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is no way for us to comment on the radio itself, since we do NOT know what the wire is contacting inside to keep it on, BUT an "outlet falling out of the wall", if it is not hyperbole, IS a serious matter.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
There is no way for us to comment on the radio itself, since we do NOT know what the wire is contacting inside to keep it on, BUT an "outlet falling out of the wall", if it is not hyperbole, IS a serious matter.
. Oh yes! I forgot about that; it certainly is VERY serious.:eek:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks