Paint

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
OK, I haven't done a project like this for a long time and forgot the basics! I painted a chest. Nice coat of primer, two coats of Glidden Premium interior semi. Now tow weeks later, still have terrilble 'blocking'.......put something on top and it sticks! I remember this is a characteristic of latex paints, but forgot! Is there a rescue? How about a topcoat of diamond clear acrylic? I would topcoat with an alkyd enamel, but I don't think you can even get a good one anymore in a non-industrial application??

Is there a brand of latex which is better than Glidden for this situation?

Thanks,

mrmedic

Reaction score
Website
www.thehousemedic.com
The only thing I would think was that you did not let the paint completely dry between coats. If that is what has happened then the only rescue would be to either give it a little longer to try and dry out, Maybe put it in the sun for a day or redo from the start. Did you clean and sand the chest before the primer?

Ron

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I have had a few duff cans of paint and varnish that have done that to me in the past.

I'd try the topcoat you suggest on a small area. A similar approach has worked for me before.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I did prep the wood well, and let it dry 8 hours between coats. Can said 4 hours...so that should be ok

Good idea , Ian, about trying the topcoat on an inconspicuous inside spot! I will do that.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I querried Glidden and their response said very deep colors ( which this is ) have a lot of pigment added, which lengthens cure time. They said give it at least 30 days, but said the best solution is probably an acrylic top coat.