PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for preparing for a hurricane

Ian Gills
08-23-2011, 06:35 AM
Any tips on how to prepare for a possible hurricane coming through DC?

I have a basement.

http://i.imwx.com/images/maps/truvu/map_specnews15_ltst_4namus_enus_600x338.jpg

Cookie
08-23-2011, 06:48 AM
Yes, this,

If you are unable to evacuate, go to your safe room. If you do not have one, follow these guidelines:

•Stay indoors during the hurricane and away from windows and glass doors.

•Close all interior doors—secure and brace external doors.

•Keep curtains and blinds closed. Do not be fooled if there is a lull; it could be the eye of the storm - winds will pick up again.

•Take refuge in a small interior room, closet, or hallway on the lowest level.

•Lie on the floor under a table or another sturdy object.

...and pray.

Ian Gills
08-23-2011, 07:03 AM
Thanks Cookie.

I can't afford a safe room.

Any tips for preparing the house?

DC is inland, so I do not know what to expect.

But I suppose 60mph wind and a lot of rain might not be out of the question, but it will not be the same as a full coastal hit.

Cookie
08-23-2011, 07:52 AM
Don't be afraid. It will be okay. I was never in a hurricane, but I was in 5 tornados. I got to like them after the third. :)

Check out this site,

http://www.fema.gov/hazard/hurricane/hu_during.shtm

Get out of the area if you can Ian.

Cookie
08-23-2011, 07:55 AM
...and pray. lol.

and, take your animals with you. My cat, I put in a pillowcase, he feels safe in it and won't run. Unless, you got a cat carrier. If you got a cat that is.

LOTW
08-23-2011, 08:08 AM
Ian, if 60 mph winds and rain is all what you are expected to get I wouldn't worry. Make sure your generator and chain saw work and lay in a supply of gas, water, propane for the gas grill, basic foods, etc.

Cookie
08-23-2011, 08:11 AM
I shouldn't say he can't run in it, he did once. All around the floor tied up in pillowcase, but, he couldn't go fast and couldn't go far. I know my cat, he was probably looking for his food bowl. lol. The kids was amused and it made them laugh all the while you could hear that freight train noise, so the walking pillowcase also, took their minds off of it. Animals are less afraid if they can't see what the noise is all about. I know this for a fact. lol, no I don't, lol. But, it sounds good.

I read it in the bible. Noah said it as the animals was boarding, all in pillowcases. The truth it is in there.

That is where I learned this trick. Do you believe me?

Cookie
08-23-2011, 08:17 AM
60 mph winds, sheez that is a gentle breeze! That is nothing... Don't worry. Just incase though if your wife is afraid, how big is she? smaller than a exlarge size pillowcase?

... just an experiment, lol.

The funniest thing that ever happened during one was after it all cleared and I when I walked outside to find, really nice outdoor cushions laying all on my deck. My husband said, I had to give them back, lol. I figured, finders' keepers...

Cookie
08-23-2011, 08:37 AM
...maybe, you will find something really neat afterwards! If it was me, I would go big, I need another car.

BobL43
08-23-2011, 08:37 AM
Any tips on how to prepare for a possible hurricane coming through DC?

I have a basement.

Well, if all else that Cookie suggested fails, Let me suggest this: Put your head between your knees, and kiss your *** goodbye.

Seriously, 60 mile an hours winds are nothing. Back in the 80's hurricane Gloria hit Long Island pretty hard http://www.hurricanes-blizzards-noreasters.com/HURRICANE-GLORIA.html and did some heavy damage here with sustained winds of 145 MPH!

And here is some info on Hurricane Hugo: http://www.hurricanes-blizzards-noreasters.com/HURRICANEHUGO.html

Ian Gills
08-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Well, it might be 75 mph winds.

LOTW
08-23-2011, 09:17 AM
75 mph instead of 60? The only difference this would make to me is that I would lay in a two day supply of beer instead of a one day supply.

BobL43
08-23-2011, 09:33 AM
75 mph instead of 60? The only difference this would make to me is that I would lay in a two day supply of beer instead of a one day supply.

Like I told a "spitty" cab driver one time, I don't mind the wind, but the RAIN!

I prefer Margaritas, but if I run out of ice...........nah, just got to make sure I have enough gas for the generator.

Ian Gills
08-23-2011, 09:39 AM
I don't have a generator.

It's cultural. In England, I cannot remember having a power outage. Ever.

At what wind speeds do you need to "board up"?

Terry
08-23-2011, 10:49 AM
I remember one Thanksgiving playing touch football in 60 mile an hour winds.
Passing the ball was kind of tough.

At the ranch in Mattawa, we always parked the cars with the nose into the wind, otherwise when you opened a door the wind would catch it and bend the metal.

What's that about Cookie suggesting you put your wife in a ex large pillow case until it's over?

Maybe not, she might think you have other ideas.

ballvalve
08-23-2011, 11:10 AM
And hurry up and get all the overhead wires underground.

BobL43
08-23-2011, 12:09 PM
So now we in the Northeast have had a 5.9 magnitude earthquake. I felt it pretty good up here on Long Island, NY a little over an hour ago.

what is with this stupid typing cursor freezing up every ten seconds? It happens on every PC I access this group with!

LOTW
08-23-2011, 01:02 PM
This is beginning to sound like the movie 2012 to me. If someone can confirm that they are building really big ships in China I am out of here. I sure hope that the world doesn't end on a day when the stock market is up 300 points.

Ian Gills
08-23-2011, 01:45 PM
We had the earthquake pretty bad in DC. It was violent.

As predicted, America's public services and infrastructure failed to perform.

What a national disgrace.

The mobiles were down. Roads congested. And the metro working at slow speed.

In Europe, we'd have had public transport out in force. There was no sign of the police or fire brigade (volunteers).

I'm home now. Structural integrity appears intact. No apparent water leaks or gas. All electrical connections retorqued to spec.

Doors and windows checked for proper alignment and adjusted to within 1/64.

European upgrades to the original (lower standard) US design of the home performed well.

Asphalt tiles are for garden shed roofs, not homes.

And buildings should be built of brick (and not wood).

Next stop...Hurricane Irene.

Thanks for caring.

BobL43
08-23-2011, 03:09 PM
We had the earthquake pretty bad in DC. It was violent.

As predicted, America's public services and infrastructure failed to perform.

What a national disgrace.

The mobiles were down. Roads congested. And the metro working at slow speed.

In Europe, we'd have had public transport out in force. There was no sign of the police or fire brigade (volunteers).

I'm home now. Structural integrity appears intact. No apparent water leaks or gas. All electrical connections retorqued to spec.

Doors and windows checked for proper alignment and adjusted to within 1/64.

European upgrades to the original (lower standard) US design of the home performed well.

Asphalt tiles are for garden shed roofs, not homes.

Next stop...Hurricane Irene.

Thanks for caring.

And to whom was that last sentence addressed?

Ian Gills
08-23-2011, 03:13 PM
All of you. Thanks for caring/responding.

Terry Love
08-23-2011, 03:51 PM
Okay,
Now if you can run over to my brothers place and check his gas water heater, that would be perfect.
He's over in Arlington, just a little ways out of town from you.

A 5.9 caused any problems?

Earthquake shuts down Virginia nuclear plant.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/23/quake-hits-near-washington-d-c/

The Pentagon has been evacuated, CNN's Barbara Starr reports. "When the building began shaking rather violently, hundreds of people began streaming out," she said, because many people thought that the building was under attack. Starr was standing in the Pentagon's press office when the roof started to shake.

the quake knocked out traffic lights downtown, snarling traffic as fire trucks and other emergency vehicles -- sirens blaring -- snaked through the confusion. The sidewalks teemed with anxious office workers who fled or were ordered to leave their buildings.

I remember a 6.2 in the Seattle area, but lucky for us, the math teacher took out his pointer and held the entire ceiling from falling.
None of the other classrooms had problems either, but it was rather funny watching an "educated" man trying to hold a building up with a skinny stick.

Ian Gills
08-23-2011, 04:09 PM
Arlington would have felt it worse.

Arlington is a great place. I used to live there but could not afford to buy.

wmills
08-23-2011, 04:44 PM
It was the Founding Fathers rolling over in their graves as they watched what the politicians are doing to the USA.

Cookie
08-23-2011, 05:00 PM
I am baking chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, sipping tea with lemon and celebrating a really great day for me. I don't care what the winds are or how badly the ground shakes, as long as my cookies are ready to eat soon. That kind of stuff is kid stuff. I have weathered the mother of all storms. (relatives) I can nap through it all. Wake me when it is over so I can see what new stuff I got. :)

I got my eye on the new outdoor grill a couple of doors down.

Cookie
08-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Ian, you guys okay? you are too quiet. :)
It's the quiet ones you got to watch.

DonL
08-24-2011, 02:52 AM
I don't have a generator.

It's cultural. In England, I cannot remember having a power outage. Ever.

At what wind speeds do you need to "board up"?

Anything above 100 MPH may not be safe, depending on your houses construction.

Then even boarding up the windows may not be of much help, When the roof blows off.

Don't get stuck in a flooding basement, The water could be of more concern than the wind.

I would suggest having plenty of beer on hand, as you can live on beer alone.

A Female may also come in handy.

Only Mother Nature knows what is in store...

BobL43
08-24-2011, 03:44 AM
Anything above 100 MPH may not be safe, depending on your houses construction.

Then even boarding up the windows may not be of much help, When the roof blows off.

Don't get stuck in a flooding basement, The water could be of more concern than the wind.

I would suggest having plenty of beer on hand, as you can live on beer alone.

A Female may also come in handy.

Only Mother Nature knows what is in store...

Now a brick house, like Ian likes, is more likely to kill him from an earthquake. A wood house can get blown apart. This sounds like the 3 little pigs story. wheres the bid bad wolf?

Ian Gills
08-24-2011, 06:19 AM
Thanks guys. I will stock up on beer. As you know, one of the things I like about America is its beer.

This looks like it will be a New York event as well. This is a good time to centralize more control in Washington so we are better able to respond to the country's needs.

All the States have very similar preferences anyway. One size fits all.

LOTW
08-24-2011, 10:36 AM
[QUOTE=Ian Gills;310529]I would agree with you if this were not a Nation of Immigrants.

Which it is and always has been.

Should I buy bottled water? DC is in the orange threat zone now. New York is in the red.

Buying water is only necessary if your toothpaste reacts poorly with beer. It's time to man up, DC. You can't hire a consultant. You can't raise taxes in time to help. It is your destiny to stare this beast of a hurricane in the eye and deal with it, man to man. What would Winston Churchill do? Would he worry about bottled water? Would he say "the only thing we have to fear is Irene herself." No, he would have about eight drinks, load up his side by side Holland and Holland 12 bore to keep the Germans and other riffraff at bay, and deal with it. Ian, I have full confidence that this will be your finest hour. I also have full confidence that your Metro will use this as an excuse to take four days off so you might want to borrow a bicycle.

Ian Gills
08-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Thanks LOTW. It's not so much the beer I am worried about. I do keep good stocks of 90 Minute IPA.

But I would not want to flush a toilet with it nor take a shower.

Besides, the community might need something to drink and nobody touches my beer.

I am contemplating removing my car battery and placing it indoors as a spare for the battery backup sump pump.

I really hope New York will be OK. They are such nice people up there. Bob is about as bad as they get in New York.

And they drive beautifully.

If anything comes of this storm, it may be buried power lines. America may finally catch up with the rest of us.

ballvalve
08-24-2011, 01:25 PM

If your building was brick it would be 1/2 story tall now and much wider.

If anything comes of this storm, it may be buried power lines. America may finally catch up with the rest of us

Good for hurricanes, but bad for earthquakes with displacement of ground plates. You can move a power pole 3 feet and not disturb anything. I know, after backing into a tie back with a large dozer. Not something I recommend for those with heart disease.

Your 5.9 was a baby. We get those like DC gets rapes and muggings. But we dont foolishly build 200' tall granite monuments either.

I think 4 tie backs are in order for that guy. Or a 400' fence around it. And your seated Lincoln may be reclining on the steps soon!

I have several 1" steel rods running from my pure rock foundation to the roof. If my mountain moves, the house just travels intact with it. When that Madrid fault in the midwest lets go, what happened in Japan will look like a fender bender. The Mississippi might be running through Texas.

All those portable classrooms in california, ugly as sin, could take a 9.5 earthquake and just lose some sheetrock. Your DC 1930 brick schools will make Haiti look good.

Once I was 900' into a gold mine adit, and a 7.5 quake hit. Held up, but needed a lot of liquor to relax.

40+ litres of vodka in your trunk is good for snow traction, and better than dollar bills or gold after the crash or the big quake.

BobL43
08-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Thanks LOTW. It's not so much the beer I am worried about. I do keep good stocks of 90 Minute IPA.

But I would not want to flush a toilet with it nor take a shower.

Besides, the community might need something to drink and nobody touches my beer.

I am contemplating removing my car battery and placing it indoors as a spare for the battery backup sump pump.

I really hope New York will be OK. They are such nice people up there. Bob is about as bad as they get in New York.

And they drive beautifully.

If anything comes of this storm, it may be buried power lines. America may finally catch up with the rest of us.

Hey thanks for the compliments, although they are so true and obvious, there is no need. How will you protect your beer if you have no firearms to keep the unwashed masses in DC away from you?:confused:

Ian Gills
08-24-2011, 04:59 PM
In England guns are banned so you are forced to use self-defence. Something Americans must be terrible at due to their unshakeable trust in firearms. Your fathers teach you to shoot and not box. Which works great, until you forget to bring the gun with you.

The bigger issue is how will I keep the beer cold without power?

I used to leave it in the river when I went fishing. Perhaps a bucket of water will work.

Extreme threat for New York now.

BobL43
08-24-2011, 05:08 PM
In England guns are banned so you are forced to use self-defence. Something Americans must be terrible at due to their unshakeable trust in firearms. Your fathers teach you to shoot and not box. Which works great, until you forget to bring the gun with you.

I used to leave it in the river when I went fishing. Perhaps a bucket of water will work.

hey, what don't kill you, makes you stronger. If it destroys my house, I'll rebuild. I own it, have no mortgage. my beer will be cold in my bunker. Corona Extra is what I favour at the moment, but I prefer hard liquor. And how do YOU know if I was a golden gloves boxer or not as a youngun?
My son is a 3rd degree blackbelt (last I heard). firearms are not all we learn in the wild wild west of nu yawk

Ian Gills
08-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Then ban guns. You have no need for them. Nor does anyone else.

Corona Extra is a bit so so. It took me five years to discover America's mirco-breweries but now I have there is no turning back.

Except for hard liqour. Whisky is best. With cigars. Cuban cigars. But you can't bring those to America. So you have to smoke them outside.

Dominican Republic Cigars are good as well, though.

Tom Sawyer
08-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Ian, let it go. We ain't banning guns. In fact there are a whole lot of gun companies out there that are balls to the wall trying to fill orders, not to mention those companies coming up with new and better guns for us trigger happy Americans. We love guns. This is a nation that was founded down the barrel of a gun. Guns beat back you Brit's, won the west and saved the rest of the world several times in the past century or so. If I were president I would make it illegal to NOT own a gun. In fact everybody would have to have at least a dozen or so. Kids should learn to handle a weapon in Kindergarten. Vote for me, free guns for everyone

BobL43
08-25-2011, 03:35 AM
Then ban guns. You have no need for them. Nor does anyone else.

Corona Extra is a bit so so. It took me five years to discover America's mirco-breweries but now I have there is no turning back.

Except for hard liqour. Whisky is best. With cigars. Cuban cigars. But you can't bring those to America. So you have to smoke them outside.

Dominican Republic Cigars are good as well, though.

As good as anybody can fight by hand, when a big ass criminal comes at a ltlle whimpy old man, the gun is a very good equalizer, especially big bore, big loads. YEE HAH!

BobL43
08-25-2011, 06:10 AM

In the Patomac river? I've taken many a pee in it; thats why you enjoy your beer so much maybe.

BobL43
08-25-2011, 06:13 AM
Well, it might be 75 mph winds. at the moment, it looks a bit extreme for DC as well. Watch out for flying objects while you are taking memorable photos for your friends back home.

jimbo
08-25-2011, 06:26 AM
GET OUT! Move to San Diego:

>last hurricane/typhoon: NEVER
>last tornado: NEVER
>last time the river flooded anything but the golf course: NEVER
>last 5.8+ earthquake: 1862 (6.0)
>last 7+ earthquake: prehistoric
>last time temp. below 35º for more than about an hour: NEVER
>last time is snowed: 1992. ( time snow lasted on the ground: 17 minutes)
>last heat wave 100º+ for 10 days in a row: NEVER
>mosquitos: NO
>locusts: NO

Come on down!!!!!!!!

jimbo
08-25-2011, 06:31 AM
In England guns are banned so you are forced to use self-defence. .

I think guns are banned in Norway. That self defense crap worked real well for them!

By the way, in case you have an urge to go out and experience the hurrincane mano y mano, remember this pearl of wisdom from Ron White:
It is not THAT the wind is blowing, it is WHAT the wind is blowing. All your machismo doesn't help much when a %$^@#$ VOLVO hits you in the head!!!!

LLigetfa
08-25-2011, 06:39 AM
at the moment, it looks a bit extreme for DC as well. Watch out for flying objects while you are taking memorable photos for your friends back home.I can just imagine guys with guns standing in the lineups at the lumber store trying to buy plywood to board up their place. What I don't get is that in places where these hurricanes are common, what did all these people do with the plywood they bought last time?

BobL43
08-25-2011, 07:18 AM
I can just imagine guys with guns standing in the lineups at the lumber store trying to buy plywood to board up their place. What I don't get is that in places where these hurricanes are common, what did all these people do with the plywood they bought last time? Why, they use them for target practice, of course. what a silly question. Last big hurrican we had here was in 1985 ,and it was a BIG one (Gloria).

Ian Gills
08-25-2011, 09:22 AM
Guns are an equalizer?

So are taxes.

But I don't see Americans lobbying for them.

You can keep your guns to help the physically disadvantaged when we can raise your taxes to help the economically disadvanged.

When was America about equality?

BobL43
08-25-2011, 09:47 AM
Guns are an equalizer?

So are taxes.

But I don't see Americans lobbying for them.

You can keep your guns to help the physically disadvantaged when we can raise your taxes to help the economically disadvanged.

When was America about equality?

time to batten down the hatches, dontcha think? That's what I'm doing when I get home. Have to keep things put away or lashed down so they don't become missiles.

As far as taxes go, I pay enough already; besides Fed and state taxes, I pay $8K a year to my town/county as Real Estate Taxes for little service to me; what they don't keep for themselves as corruption, they give away to under"priveledged" folks who would RATHER collect and live on welfare than work as I do. I worked my way up from poor to barely middle income, not by sitting on my ass, but by working, sometimes 3 jobs when it was necessary about 40 years ago.
By the way, did you ever notice how ugly your Queen is? Just sayin' In another post, you said the royal family has their own wealth. Where did they get all that money from if not from the people? Who coined the word tax collector in days of Yore? I love the cartoon Wizard of ID!:D http://www.gocomics.com/wizardofid/2011/08/17 http://www.gocomics.com/wizardofid/2011/08/11 http://www.gocomics.com/wizardofid/2011/08/02

BobL43
08-25-2011, 09:55 AM
GET OUT! Move to San Diego:

>last hurricane/typhoon: NEVER
>last tornado: NEVER
>last time the river flooded anything but the golf course: NEVER
>last 5.8+ earthquake: 1862 (6.0)
>last 7+ earthquake: prehistoric
>last time temp. below 35º for more than about an hour: NEVER
>last time is snowed: 1992. ( time snow lasted on the ground: 17 minutes)
>last heat wave 100º+ for 10 days in a row: NEVER
>mosquitos: NO
>locusts: NO

Come on down!!!!!!!!

I love San Diego myself. No mosquitos either? wish I could afford it, though.

ballvalve
08-25-2011, 10:21 AM
San Diego: No seasons, no weather, no rain, just strips of chain stores and a few nice beaches. One day you wake up, you're 80 years old and forgot how that happened. And people like maggots in a dead cow in midsummer.

Ian Gills
08-25-2011, 12:12 PM
I need to prepare for the hurricane as well. I might get some more water. Tomorrow I will clean the gutters and install some gusher guards in spots that overflow with torrential rain.

My main threat is water and a power outage.

On taxes, I am a product of poor made good through a taxpayer-paid education and State support for a single parent who brought her kids up to work hard at school.

In America, I would have had no help with no chance of going to college or beyond.

Now I'm paying back many times the taxes that were spent on me through the higher income a State-sponsored education brings. In America, I would have had no choice but to still pull welfare.

That's called "investing in people", which America does not do. China does though. You need to understand the big picture to get it. To care about your community, not just your family. To care about people you do not know and will never meet, because if they do good then so will you.

On the Royal family, they bring a lot of income through tourism and deals to atract foreign investment to the country. In many ways, the Americans pay for the upkeep of our Royal family through their tourism dollars. Ironic eh?

I think Her Majesty the Queen looks pretty good for 85. No worse than Nancy Reagan.

BobL43
08-25-2011, 02:22 PM
San Diego: No seasons, no weather, no rain, just strips of chain stores and a few nice beaches. One day you wake up, you're 80 years old and forgot how that happened. And people like maggots in a dead cow in midsummer.

Wow that sounds appealing. I used to like the East coast of Florida before it became that way. I was in San Diego in '96 and liked it, but I was only there for a long weekend. Liked what I saw at the time. Any place I decide to move to, I'll have to stay awhile before I get old:D (er)

BobL43
08-25-2011, 02:33 PM
I need to prepare for the hurricane as well. I might get some more water. Tomorrow I will clean the gutters and install some gusher guards in spots that overflow with torrential rain.

My main threat is water and a power outage.

On taxes, I am a product of poor made good through a taxpayer-paid education and State support for a single parent who brought her kids up to work hard at school.

In America, I would have had no help with no chance of going to college or beyond.

Now I'm paying back many times the taxes that were spent on me through the higher income a State-sponsored education brings. In America, I would have had no choice but to still pull welfare.

That's called "investing in people", which America does not do. China does though. You need to understand the big picture to get it. To care about your community, not just your family. To care about people you do not know and will never meet, because if they do good then so will you.

On the Royal family, they bring a lot of income through tourism and deals to atract foreign investment to the country. In many ways, the Americans pay for the upkeep of our Royal family through their tourism dollars. Ironic eh?

I think Her Majesty the Queen looks pretty good for 85. No worse than Nancy Reagan.

When I was a young lad just out of High School in Brooklyn, NY, I was able to go to college for free because I got very good grades and qualified to attend a NYC college. I went to public school being poor, but I got good grades because i wanted to learn and get good grades. Nowadays, a lot of people get to go to special ethnic colleges for free because they are of that ethnicity. There are still scholarships. I agree that a person who cannot afford college should not be denied an education to move ahead, but that gift should be to those that really want that education and not just milk the system. Nancy Reagan is no longer our First Lady, so her looks are irrelevant. The queen was only fair looking at best when she was young. Just kidding anyway.

Good luck in your Hurricane experience, and I am sincere about that. My wife and I spent a few hours today putting away outside garden ornaments and other chatchkas (ever hear that word before?).

Ian Gills
08-25-2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks Bob and good luck for the storm too. The track has moved west so DC is probably gonna get the rain and the wind worse than you, but you of course may still get the surge.

Let's all meet up at Terry's if we have to evacuate.

I'll try to keep the Corner going through the Hurricane.

Irene won't kill it but Bob and Don probably will.

BobL43
08-25-2011, 04:38 PM
I am about 4 miles inland and at an altitude of 112 feet above sea level, so the surge won't affect me, but th epredicted rain of up to a foot, may be too much for the street drains too take (not connected to any central sewer system out here in the burbs. My house grade is about 2 feet or so above the street, so we will see. I am more worried about trees coming down. Monday morning it will all be over here. NYC is asking people in low low laying areas to evacuate. On the news, they said that in 188* something, lower manhattan was under 13 feet of water. Having lived and worked there for many years, that is hard to imagine

Cookie
08-25-2011, 05:11 PM
I don't know what you people are so worried about, it is nothing to worry about. Make a tea, get a good book and just wait it out, there are far worse things in life, lol trust me on this. All will be well. Just put some bricks on your feet while sitting in the recliner. :)

BobL43
08-25-2011, 05:25 PM
To be **that** relaxed, I will need to polish off my bottle of Cabo Wabo; neat. I am sure I'll be in la la land way before that bottle is half gone (I'm a cheap date). Trees crashing through the house can be unnerving. Just thinking about that ruins the mood.

Cookie
08-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Nah, you will be okay. You worry too much. I could actually sleep through it. :) Years ago, I once set a bag of popcorn on fire in the microwave and la de da carried it outself while the men on the front porch was remortaring. I tapped one guy on his back saying, " excuse me" and he turned around jumped a foot high and started yelling. I said, "sheez it is just some fire." Granted the flames got big, but still...

Just a little breeze coming your way, time to ventilate for winter, make it smell nice and fresh, :)

Ian Gills
08-25-2011, 06:28 PM
My future will probably rely on a Zoeller 507 battery backup sump pump and two deep discharge marine batteries (and my car battery if the forecast gets any worse).

Hard rain and a power cut and my basement is a gonna after the batteries run out. This might be a good test of the 507. It's never been used before.

I cut down all the trees on my property when I moved in (that annoyed the American neighbors) but there are still a few on properties around me that could pose a threat. We won't be sleeping in those rooms on Saturday night.

If the power goes, I won't be sleeping at all. I'll be hunched over the sump pit with a torch!

And a warm beer.

I'll get the inverter out to keep the Corner going, assuming the network is still up.

Memoirs from the sump pit...

Cookie
08-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Ah, you shouldn't had cut your trees down, because in the bad storm they can come from a distance anyway. You could had enjoyed the shade and the birdies.

Have you found birdie poop on your house or your car yet?

Cookie
08-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Ian, where'd you go? not far I hope, lol.
You at that sump pump writing your journal drinking yucky, warm beer? Listen, if you want to be a yank, that stuff goes on ice.

How about Georgia? Is that state going to feel Irene?

jimbo
08-26-2011, 06:51 AM
I love San Diego myself. No mosquitos either? wish I could afford it, though.

Oh trust me..you CAN afford it right now. Getting a JOB, that's a different story. As for the cost of living...yes gas is a little high. Last time I bought a winter coat or boots? 1962. Last time I had a 3 digit bill for heat in the winter? NEVER

BobL43
08-26-2011, 07:18 AM
Oh trust me..you CAN afford it right now. Getting a JOB, that's a different story. As for the cost of living...yes gas is a little high. Last time I bought a winter coat or boots? 1962. Last time I had a 3 digit bill for heat in the winter? NEVER

Last electric bill for the Summer: 800 bucks for 2 months usage. The KWhr rate plus the taxes and surcharges and other crazy fees bring the actual cost per KWhr to a super high rate. Gasoline price today: average $3.83/gal. Price up a little today, maybe because of hurricane coming this way

Me being semi-retired, I really don't need a job anymore:p. The company I retired from asked me to come back part time, which I did. the money does come in handy. Mortgage paid off years ago. What I meant was with the real estate market the way it is right now, my house is worth 30% less than it was several years ago. I don't know if San Diego real estate depreciated as much to make a home purchase affordable. Anyway, as long as my kids live here on Long Island, I'm sure me and my wife will remain here. :)

LOTW
08-26-2011, 08:47 AM
BobL and Ian, I wish you the best over the weekend. I predict that you will get some heavy rains and wind, but no real damage. Be safe.

BobL43
08-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Thanks LOTW!

Terry
08-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Hurricane Irene could be a major problem for the Eastern Seaboard

This is a large, this is a deadly, this is a slow-moving hurricane that is bearing down on the state of Maryland,” said O’Malley, who has declared a state of emergency. “There will no doubt be a lot of flooding. Citizens should anticipate long periods of electrical outages.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/post/hurricane-irene-path-to-urgency/2011/08/26/gIQAZh2vfJ_blog.html

Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/dc/2011/08/washington-region-prepares-hurricane-irene): “‘It will be some of the worst weather that I can remember,’ Accuweather’s Brian Edwards told the Examiner. ‘We’re anticipating high winds, widespread power outages, trees coming down and rapidly rising streams and creeks.’”

WJLA-Channel 7 (http://www.wjla.com/articles/2011/08/va-maryland-declare-state-of-emergency-65643.html): “Weather Channel anchor says this has the possibililty to become ‘the hurricane of our lifetime.’”

Ian,
This sounds like exiting stuff coming your way.

BobL43
08-26-2011, 11:04 AM
Hurricane Irene could be a major problem for the Eastern Seaboard

WJLA-Channel 7 (http://www.wjla.com/articles/2011/08/va-maryland-declare-state-of-emergency-65643.html): “Weather Channel anchor says this has the possibililty to become ‘the hurricane of our lifetime.’”

Ian,
This sounds like exiting stuff coming your way.

Part of living in the good ole USA.:) Yee HA!

Ian gets it, then me.

Cookie
08-26-2011, 11:14 AM
Good thing Georgia isn't going to get hit.

BobL43
08-26-2011, 11:19 AM
Good thing Georgia isn't going to get hit. I just read in a magazine that people who worry more live longer than extreme optimists. I guess you've proved that wrong Cookie. You are a SURVIVOR extrordinaire. Me, I'm a worrier sometimes, so I guess that article will work for me. My daughter went through Hodgkins and later breast cancer. She is a survivor too, and also has a very positive outlook on life, and not easily alarmed anymore, if she ever was.

Cookie
08-26-2011, 12:22 PM
Ah, Bob, so sorry about your daughter having to go through this with Mr. Hodgkins. I bet she and I was on the same drugs. I spent 16 months on ABVD for HD, then, a range of other drugs for the other 4 years for NHL. Actually, I do worry, just not about me. Your kids absorb all the worry a body can take. My youngest son is heading to Georgia, now that will make me crazy right now. :) I would like to be behind him in my car, trailing him down there, just like I did, when he first walked to school. I was always the one behind the bush moving.

Bob, I know I have been through more than most, but, I have never and nor, will I ever consider myself a survivior; don't underestimate insanity, it works. ;)

Cookie
08-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Bob sorry to hear, too, she had to suffer through breast cancer. That was not kind to her. It is heritary, my mom had it. But, if I had my choice on these matters, I would rather have Mr. Hodgkins. Don't know why. I remember telling my boys when I was first diagnosed ( they were pretty young, 12 &13) to make sure they feel for lumps & bumps down there. They just sat there as still as could be, like statutes. I asked my husband when alone, why they were just sitting there like that? He then, told me, that they came to him, saying, " dad, are these normal to have?" LOL.... Soooooo, if you get what I am saying here, and laughing, then, you know, that sometimes, even the big c, can be funny.

Ian Gills
08-26-2011, 12:45 PM
I now have enough beer to see me through. It was that or baby formula but you can't drink baby formula for breakfast.

Just two things left to do. Charge the spare battery for the battery backup sump pump.

And check the sump pit.

Thank God I am relying on an American-made sump pump and not an American-made car.

Cookie
08-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Oh, Ian, congrats!
Good for you.

ballvalve
08-26-2011, 01:16 PM
My future will probably rely on a Zoeller 507 battery backup sump pump and two deep discharge marine batteries (and my car battery if the forecast gets any worse).

Hard rain and a power cut and my basement is a gonna after the batteries run out. This might be a good test of the 507. It's never been used before.

If the power goes, I won't be sleeping at all. I'll be hunched over the sump pit with a torch!

And a warm beer.

I'll get the inverter out to keep the Corner going, assuming the network is still up.

Memoirs from the sump pit...

Better plan to RUN the car with some monster cable to the pump if you get 20+ inches of rain.

But in that case the main drains will be flooded and your basement toilet will be a geyser.

And most education in the USA is free for those with a molecule of drive.

Hurricane? piece of cake compared to the fireball 800' high of forest burning that is moving my way right now. Gotta go gas up the generator and get the roof sprinklers on. Do what I did Ian, tunnel 100' into the mountain and fill it with wine, booze and food.

Ian Gills
08-26-2011, 01:55 PM
You should do what I did Ballvalve and cut that forest down.

It's not European growth after all.

BobL43
08-26-2011, 04:53 PM
How high's the water Mama? 5 feet high and rising. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91OIaPRrDts

http://www.newsday.com/news/breaking/li-coastal-areas-to-be-evacuated-1.3123437

Cookie
08-26-2011, 11:38 PM
So you are now a proud papa Ian? That is such good news. Boy or girl or one of each? Nothing better than kids. I am thinking about adopting a kid here, one just like me, with same health problems. If I will be allowed, if not, I will continue with the Miracle League.

I have been reading that Georgia will be spared with this Hurricane. I guess I can rest easy with him leaving tomorrow night.

ballvalve
08-26-2011, 11:41 PM
You should do what I did Ballvalve and cut that forest down.

It's not European growth after all.

I did, most of it, and built the house with it. Sugar and Ponderosa pine, but the part that burns and is the "ladder" fuel is Manzanita and buckbrush. Its all 2nd and 3rd growth anyway as your genius Cornish miners packed our forests deep into the gold mines many generations ago. [ not a cut, these Cornish miners were the BEST on earth]

Loaded about 40,000 pounds of pine onto the trailer destined for my sawmill just today, even with a forest fire burning our way.

And its so amazing in that there is another billion pounds of pine that I have no time to cut and the mills are too far away to be interested.

China invests in people? Yes, as slaves, backhoes, loaders, and beasts of burden to move their homes from the path of the rising waters of that absolute disaster of a dam that will eventually send them entirely to coal and nuclear. Lesser and mildly slower disasters.

China needs the ONE BABY plan continued, or our next BIG ugly war will be much sooner.

wmills
08-27-2011, 03:29 AM
Hope any who have to face Irene do it with no problem. I know its late but a few things to do, Make sure all yard items are tied down or stored in a safe place. If you have an inground pool the best thing to do with yard furniture is to drop it into the pool. It will prevent anything from being blown like a bullet. Even a category one is nothing to fool with. Looks like this one is going to be relatively slow which means as long as it sits over the ocean it will suck up water and lay it down on land. I always prefer a fast moving one. Ian I hope by the time it gets to you it has run aground so it will start to starve itself down. My oldest son is right in an area that will probably be well soaked but he is at least on high enough ground that flooding should not be a problem.

Good Luck to all

Ian Gills
08-27-2011, 07:05 AM
Thanks wmills. I'm nearly ready. I'll move the furniture in now.

The real fight will be between the storm, my two Zoeller sump pumps and my two Optima blue top marine batteries.

Will the flimsy 507 do it or be a let down? I think she'll hold up.

Then it's Bob's problem.

Cookie
08-27-2011, 07:09 AM
Ian, you might want to look into dry ice, if you can still. It was useful for us when we lived in Tornado alley with 2 small babies, to keep their stuff cold. Back then, in the 80's meds for diabetics had to be refrigerated, dry ice works well. People forget when a big storm hits, pharmacies are closed, and it doesn't hurt to have in an extra 30 day supply of much needed meds. After the storm passes, most roads will be closed except for Emergency vehicles, so if you needs meds like for diabetes, etc, now is the time to still do it.

Good luck, stay safe and have some fun! Especially if you got kids of any age, put their minds to ease they will be fine. I made a backsake which was waterproof for my boys, with things like coloring books, ect for them. And, little snack items, apples, little drink boxes. And, I also packed them a headphone set with their little tapes in it, so, they couldn't hear the racket as well.

http://www.dryiceinfo.com/

LLigetfa
08-27-2011, 07:15 AM
The real fight will be between the storm, my two Zoeller sump pumps and my two Optima blue top marine batteries.You should be able to take turns recharging those batteries with your car alternator if you don't have a generator.

Once, 13 years ago, I needed to rent a generator to run my sump pump. The house was just being built and the power had not yet been hooked up. I have a generator now but have not had a need to use it.

Cookie
08-27-2011, 07:25 AM
Ian, I wouldn't spend alot of money or time on things for stuff like this. Once in a decade you would use it. Just take care of your neighbor if they need help, check on your neighbor if they are old, and always, have things on hand as you should anyway, like flashlights, those batteries, some food, extra water, and meds if you need them. And, loads of common sense not to panic. Just do what you need to do, leave your home to safety. Whatever, needs fixed when you come back, that is nothing. Things can be fixed.

BobL43
08-27-2011, 08:12 AM
Thanks wmills. I'm nearly ready. I'll move the furniture in now.

The real fight will be between the storm, my two Zoeller sump pumps and my two Optima blue top marine batteries.

Will the flimsy 507 do it or be a let down? I think she'll hold up.

Then it's Bob's problem. If the water gets into your basement, what will be its path? If the water level outside is above your basement window, pumping it outside will be futile (or FYOOtile), like bailing out your boat while it is submerged

BobL43
08-27-2011, 08:14 AM
Ian, I wouldn't spend alot of money or time on things for stuff like this. Once in a decade you would use it. Just take care of your neighbor if they need help, check on your neighbor if they are old, and always, have things on hand as you should anyway, like flashlights, those batteries, some food, extra water, and meds if you need them. And, loads of common sense not to panic. Just do what you need to do, leave your home to safety. Whatever, needs fixed when you come back, that is nothing. Things can be fixed.

good advice Cookie. Come on Ian, come up here and help me out. I am old, and I need help too.

Cookie
08-27-2011, 08:31 AM
I think I am older, so I come first. Plus, Ian said, he would cut my grass. I am still waiting.

There is no mercy here, in this weather, I am showing a house. ;) Hey, I will drive up in a boat to make a buck. lol.

One addt thing that is helpful is in having a waterproof fireproof box, with a lock. In it, I would put things like important homeowners insurance paperwork, important phone number to call the people, and, other things you don't wet ruined. Storing it in a built-it-closet is the best place to put it. I put small pics of my family in it as well. Things you can't replace. Throw in a few shekels cause you won't be driving far to an ATM.

BobL43
08-27-2011, 08:48 AM
I think I am older, so I come first. Plus, Ian said, he would cut my grass. I am still waiting.

There is no mercy here, in this weather, I am showing a house. ;) Hey, I will drive up in a boat to make a buck. lol.

I am almost 69 now Cookie, but you are a lady anyway, so you come first. My wife asked me to cut the grass yesterday, but I was too busy putting stuff away and tying things down. Tomorrow I'll mow it all up if my shed with my mower doesn't blow away

How high's the water mama? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91OIaPRrDts soon to be

Ian Gills
08-27-2011, 08:52 AM
If we all paid a bit more in taxes and utility bills (to bury those pesky lines) I wouldn't have to make the 9 hour drive through hurricane force winds to help Bob.

The Red Cross is doing Government's work.

Thanks for all the tips though guys. They are well taken. It has started to rain here now.

Cookie
08-27-2011, 08:54 AM
Bob, you're a baby! 69 is yet too young!
I am like 57 going on 157. ;) going to work now. I got my rain hat on and bricks in my stilettos. That'll work...

BobL43
08-27-2011, 09:04 AM
I mentioned in another post that I pay about 8K a year in real Estate Taxes, and my last electric bill was over 800 bucks. I can't afford to pay anymore than that, so I think I pay my share. Now, my power company is a government power authority, and the real estate goes to the local, county and NY State governments. What do I get for all that money I give to the government: bubkas, nada. give more: absurd. The Red Cross does a fine job, and I contribute to them as best I can.

It started raining here about 9am, while I was dismantling my bird feeding station ( I even give free food to the birdies, and what do they do but crap all over my cars) giving everybody everything for free is not a good idea, Ian. It kills all incentives to do anything on your own and makes you think the world owes you a living.
Personally I don't think you practice as you preach.

Ian Gills
08-27-2011, 11:03 AM
I probably pay about half as much as you in taxes because my house is smaller/cheaper. On income tax we write a big check to the Treasury every year because non-citizens don't get all the rebates my American friends here get so it's always underestimated. That might be why I live in a smaller/cheaper house.

What bugs me the most is that most Americans don' want Government in their lives even though they pay this money to them.

I expect services for my taxes and if that means a big Government to provide them so be it.

Effective infrastructure that won't go out in the wind and hurricane preparedness is a good example.

"Self-responsibility" is an idiotic notion. The poor and the elderly get left behind.

Government should be responsible for saving the day. Not people. Leaving each to fend for themselves is for the animal kingdom, not the human race.

BobL43
08-27-2011, 12:08 PM
I probably pay about half as much as you in taxes because my house is smaller/cheaper. On income tax we write a big check to the Treasury every year because non-citizens don't get all the rebates my American friends here get so it's always underestimated. That might be why I live in a smaller/cheaper house.

What bugs me the most is that most Americans don' want Government in their lives even though they pay this money to them.
I expect services for my taxes and if that means a big Government to provide them so be it.

Effective infrastructure that won't go out in the wind and hurricane preparedness is a good example.

"Self-responsibility" is an idiotic notion. The poor and the elderly get left behind.

Government should be responsible for saving the day. Not people. Leaving each to fend for themselves is for the animal kingdom, not the human race.

You should be down in your basement manning your pumping station instead of stirring your venomous cauldron down there. Ptooey!:p

Ian Gills
08-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Thanks Bob. That's exactly what I am doing!

It's going to be a long night.

There is a lot of persistent (hours) medium-heavy rain with this sucker. We're now under a flash flood warning until 11.30pm.

I am in stage 2 of a 4 stage defence.

Stage 1: basement stairwell drain illegally plumbed to sewer (in the 1950s when it was legal) is working quite hard.

Stage 2: sump pit is filling every 5 minutes and is being pumped by Zoeller on electric power. Unlike an American car, it started first time.

If we reach stage 3 and lose power, I'll be on the batteries and the 507 (I hope I'll get at least 10 hours but who knows?)

Stage 4: If the batteries go, empty the sump pit by hand.

If a tree falls on the house, all bets are off.

Bury the lines.

BobL43
08-27-2011, 05:26 PM
thanks bob. That's exactly what i am doing!

It's going to be a long night.

There is a lot of persistent (hours) medium-heavy rain with this sucker. We're now under a flash flood warning until 11.30pm.

I am in stage 2 of a 4 stage defence.

Stage 1: Basement stairwell drain illegally plumbed to sewer (in the 1950s when it was legal) is working quite hard.

Stage 2: Sump pit is filling every 5 minutes and is being pumped by zoeller on electric power. Unlike an american car, it started first time.

If we reach stage 3 and lose power, i'll be on the batteries and the 507 (i hope i'll get at least 10 hours but who knows?)

stage 4: If the batteries go, empty the sump pit by hand.

Bury the lines.
lol lol lol

Ian Gills
08-27-2011, 06:00 PM
It's coming your way Bob.

Cookie
08-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Been working... son will be leaving soon to Georgia, downtown Atlanta, anybody hear anything in that vicinity?

Ian Gills
08-27-2011, 08:00 PM
It should be long past there.

We're in the worst of it now until 3am.

There are lots of bands of rain. Some of them heavy. The wind is up.

Power is still on. But my small sump pit is filling every 2 minutes.

BobL43
08-27-2011, 08:12 PM

There are lots of bands of rain. Some of them heavy. The wind is up.

Power is still on. But my small sump pit is filling every 2 minutes.

how hi IS the water mama?

Cookie
08-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Well, the winds aren't good here. He has to drive through PA here, I'm not far from NY. He will connect onto, Interstate 75, and go to Atlanta. What a time to start a new job. He is a great kid, I don't know why I am so lucky to have someone like my kids. He said, mom I will call you every couple hours, and I said, i will be awake, and he said, " i know you will be." It doesn't matter how old or how big your kids get, they are still your babies. I still meticiously packed him stuff, like he was going to camp. He even said that. I was outside at midnight checking under the hood of a the car, like... I knew... what I was looking for. I filled up the wiper stuff, checked the oil yesterday, checked the tires yesterday, had the brakes checked yesterday, the mechanics are good, they put up with me, lol. They know, when I bring that car in, my kid is going somewhere. For if it was me, I could care less. I really like being a mom.

LLigetfa
08-27-2011, 09:06 PM
I mentioned in another post that I pay about 8K a year in real Estate Taxes...You must live in a frigging palace. My taxes are less than $2K.

Cookie
08-28-2011, 12:10 AM
Actually, here the general real estate tax, or (ad valorem tax), is made up of the taxes levied on real estate by various govn bodies and municipalities. These taxes are known as ad valorem it is Latin for "according to value" taxes because the amount is based on the value of the property being taxed. General real estate taxes are levied for the general operation of the govn body or agency authorized to levy the tax. These taxing bodies include:

counties, cities, boroughs and townships
school districts or boards
drainage, water and sanitary districts, and
municipal authorites operating parks, forest preserves and recreational districts.

Historically, real estate taxes have been the principal source of revenue for local govn in most states, including mine. Real estate taxes are one of those certainties in life that property owners just cannot escape. Ian, rising costs of govn coupled with increasing costs to operate and maintain real estate , however, have raised debate over the fairness of real estate taxes. Homeowners argue, that the ownership of a basic necessity does not connote affluenece or wealth. Furthermore, real estate tax bills are not tied to the owner's income or ability to pay. This is especially problematic for people living on fixed incomes. Property owners also often argue that they are paying for services such as public schools, they do not personally use, which is something to which I do agree to.

Some states, such as mine, legislature has attempted to alleviate the dependence on real estate tax by permitting local govn bodies to collect sales or income tax in lieu of real estate tax. However, few taxing bodies have embraced these alternatives. Recently, legislators made yet another attempt at tax reform when they passed Act 72 in 2004, which some of you might remember; the slot-machine gambling legislation. This would funnel money generated from the newly legalized gambling to local school districts. They, in turn, would reduce property tax bills to homeowners. The Act also requires school districts to increase local income taxes and to place on ballot for voter approval certain proposed property tax increases.

Now, here there are certain exemptions from taxation in most states. Common exemptions are granted for property owned by

city, state and federal govn
munipal authorities
education institutions
hospitals
religious institutions and
public charities

As simple as this sounds, it is not, the laws as usual are fairly complex. I actually know someone who tried to be exempted by stating their home was actually, a religious institution because they prayed at meal time. Some states will allow special exemptions to reduce real estate tax bills for certain property owners or land users. For instance, senior citizens, ( yes Ian the elderly) are granted reductions or limited increases in assessed values on their homes, known as Homestead Exemptions. These exemptions are especially important for longtime residents in neighborhoods where significant increases in property values would otherwise make the taxes unaffordable. Other temporary reductions in real estate taxes are frequently used to attract industries, stimulate economic growth and development, or encourage rehab of properties.

The assessment, or assessed value, is the official value of real estate that is used for tax purposes. Real estate is valued, or assessed, for tax purposes by county assessors, evalutors, or appraisers. This is what I do. Assessments are normally a percentage of the property's fair market value. Depending on the type of property and the taxing jurisdiction within which it is located, one value may be assigned to the total property or separate values may be assigned to the land and the building.

A property owner who feels that the county made an error in determining the assessed value of the property may appeal the assessment. In some jurisidictions, when it is necessary to correct general inequalities in statewide tax assessments, an equalization factor is used to achieve uniformity. This factor may be applied to raise or lower assessments in a particular county. The assessed value of each property in the area is mutliplied by the equalization factor; the tax rate is then applied to the equalized assessment. For instance, if the assessments in one county are determined to be 20 percent lower than the average assessments throughout the rest of the state, the underassessment can be corrected by applying an equalization factor of 120 percent to each assessment in that county. A parcel of real estate assessed at 98,000, for example, would be taxed on an eqalized value of 117,600 (98,000x1.20=$117,600)

The process of determing a real estate tax rate begins with the adoption of a budget by each taxing body. The next step is appropriation. This is the way a taxing body authorizies the expenditure and the acquisition of funding. The tax rate may be expressed in mills. A mill is 1/1,000 of a dollar, or $0.001.

A property owner's tax bill is computed by applying the tax rate to the assessed valuation of the property. For example, on a property assessed for tax purposes at 90,000 in a taxing district with a tax rate of 30 mills, the tax bill would be $2,700,($90,000x0.03=$2,700).

The bottom line is, in desiring to pay lower property taxes is to find the district with a lower millage; which is why my property taxes are low. I pay 1,200 a year.

Bob, you could appeal.

Cookie
08-28-2011, 04:04 AM
Son is now in NC, 8 hours later, and he said, the weather isn't too bad right now.
Hoping he is telling the truth and not just trying to not make me worry.

Ian, Bob, hope all is well and you got power.

BobL43
08-28-2011, 04:06 AM
Actually, here the general real estate tax, or (ad valorem tax), is made up of the taxes levied on real estate by various govn bodies and municipalities. These taxes are known as ad valorem it is Latin for "according to value" taxes because the amount is based on the value of the property being taxed. General real estate taxes are levied for the general operation of the govn body or agency authorized to levy the tax. These taxing bodies include:

counties, cities, boroughs and townships
school districts or boards
drainage, water and sanitary districts, and
municipal authorites operating parks, forest preserves and recreational districts.

Historically, real estate taxes have been the principal source of revenue for local govn in most states, including mine. Real estate taxes are one of those certainties in life that property owners just cannot escape. Ian, rising costs of govn coupled with increasing costs to operate and maintain real estate , however, have raised debate over the fairness of real estate taxes. Homeowners argue, that the ownership of a basic necessity does not connote affluenece or wealth. Furthermore, real estate tax bills are not tied to the owner's income or ability to pay. This is especially problematic for people living on fixed incomes. Property owners also often argue that they are paying for services such as public schools, they do not personally use, which is something to which I do agree to.

Some states, such as mine, legislature has attempted to alleviate the dependence on real estate tax by permitting local govn bodies to collect sales or income tax in lieu of real estate tax. However, few taxing bodies have embraced these alternatives. Recently, legislators made yet another attempt at tax reform when they passed Act 72 in 2004, which some of you might remember; the slot-machine gambling legislation. This would funnel money generated from the newly legalized gambling to local school districts. They, in turn, would reduce property tax bills to homeowners. The Act also requires school districts to increase local income taxes and to place on ballot for voter approval certain proposed property tax increases.

Now, here there are certain exemptions from taxation in most states. Common exemptions are granted for property owned by

city, state and federal govn
munipal authorities
education institutions
hospitals
religious institutions and
public charities

As simple as this sounds, it is not, the laws as usual are fairly complex. I actually know someone who tried to be exempted by stating their home was actually, a religious institution because they prayed at meal time. Some states will allow special exemptions to reduce real estate tax bills for certain property owners or land users. For instance, senior citizens, ( yes Ian the elderly) are granted reductions or limited increases in assessed values on their homes, known as Homestead Exemptions. These exemptions are especially important for longtime residents in neighborhoods where significant increases in property values would otherwise make the taxes unaffordable. Other temporary reductions in real estate taxes are frequently used to attract industries, stimulate economic growth and development, or encourage rehab of properties.

The assessment, or assessed value, is the official value of real estate that is used for tax purposes. Real estate is valued, or assessed, for tax purposes by county assessors, evalutors, or appraisers. This is what I do. Assessments are normally a percentage of the property's fair market value. Depending on the type of property and the taxing jurisdiction within which it is located, one value may be assigned to the total property or separate values may be assigned to the land and the building.

A property owner who feels that the county made an error in determining the assessed value of the property may appeal the assessment. In some jurisidictions, when it is necessary to correct general inequalities in statewide tax assessments, an equalization factor is used to achieve uniformity. This factor may be applied to raise or lower assessments in a particular county. The assessed value of each property in the area is mutliplied by the equalization factor; the tax rate is then applied to the equalized assessment. For instance, if the assessments in one county are determined to be 20 percent lower than the average assessments throughout the rest of the state, the underassessment can be corrected by applying an equalization factor of 120 percent to each assessment in that county. A parcel of real estate assessed at 98,000, for example, would be taxed on an eqalized value of 117,600 (98,000x1.20=$117,600)

The process of determing a real estate tax rate begins with the adoption of a budget by each taxing body. The next step is appropriation. This is the way a taxing body authorizies the expenditure and the acquisition of funding. The tax rate may be expressed in mills. A mill is 1/1,000 of a dollar, or $0.001.

A property owner's tax bill is computed by applying the tax rate to the assessed valuation of the property. For example, on a property assessed for tax purposes at 90,000 in a taxing district with a tax rate of 30 mills, the tax bill would be $2,700,($90,000x0.03=$2,700).

The bottom line is, in desiring to pay lower property taxes is to find the district with a lower millage; which is why my property taxes are low. I pay 1,200 a year.

Bob, you could appeal.

Cookie, I've been in this house since 1971. Back then the taxes were 900 bucks and went up quickly to 1100. Over the years, they just kept climbing, like all of Long Island taxes did. I've been through many grievances, got several reductions, been through small claims court to get some of them. It's just a fact of ife here. What does suck though is guys like Ian suggestiong I pay higher taxes to help the poor. the guy must be delusional.
I only have a one story ranch 3 BR, 2-1/2 baths on 1/3rd acre in a working class neighborhood, no castle or Taj Mahal here. Most of my friends living on Long Island pay the same as I do or more. One pays $15K for a colonial on 1/2 acre. Our taxes ARE based on property values that are very wierd too, because the last tax bill shows my assessesd value is about 39K, although the average selling price here is closer to 300K. Used to be closer to 500K several years ago, but you know how that went.

BobL43
08-28-2011, 04:18 AM

There are lots of bands of rain. Some of them heavy. The wind is up.Power is still on. But my small sump pit is filling every 2 minutes.

Lots of heavy rain here and strong winds, but the eye won't be here for a few more hours at 10 am. Several tornado watches have been posted in area. Over 250,000 have lost power here in burbs, so lots of BBQ's will be busy when its all over. YeeHa!

Anyway, at the moment, its a strong Tropical Storm here just under category 1 hurricane, which is much better than was predicted. Tons of rain. West Nile Mosquitos have been a big concern here this summer. SWATT!

Ian Gills
08-28-2011, 04:20 AM
The more you pay in property tax Bob, the less you pay elsewhere.

You know the way this country works. Income tax is low, but they get you on the property taxes. All in all you probably pay the same in taxes here as other "more socialist" countries, but don't get the services. In England, you'd pay the same but get national health care, for example.

Well, in the fight of the hurricane versus my Zoeller, the Zoeller won.

We didn't need to go to Stage 3. Today, I'll be cleaning the backyard. There's lots of American growth that has fallen from trees on it.

Yuck!

BobL43
08-28-2011, 04:27 AM
The more you pay in property tax Bob, the less you pay elsewhere.

You know the way this country works. Income tax is low, but they get you on the property taxes. All in all you probably pay the same in taxes here as other "more socialist" countries, but don't get the services. In England, you'd pay the same but get national health care, for example.

Well, in the fight of the hurricane versus my Zoeller, the Zoeller won.

So being that I pay so much in property taxes, all else should be free.

A guy went with a truck to a potato farm to buy some potatos. He asked the farmer how much they cost. Farmer said "the more you buy, they cheaper they get". guy says to keep filling his truck til they are free:p

BobL43
08-28-2011, 05:33 AM
Stage 4: If the batteries go, empty the sump pit by hand.

Bury the lines.

Ian, all of NYC Manhattan's power lines are underground. The NY Harbor is starting now to breach the seawall and flowing into the streets at the Battery. Con Ed is announcing they probably are going to shut down power in lower Manhattan, so burying all the power is not the answer at all. Many transformers are underground to provide power to the buildings in the city. Some buildings have their own transformers, but water and electricity do not mix well.

BobL43
08-28-2011, 05:38 AM
You must live in a frigging palace. My taxes are less than $2K.

LL,

Taxes are probably lower than yours in Montana, but I don't think that's where I want to live.

No Palace, as I wrote in response to one of Cookies posts. but the cost of living in the NY Metro area is extreme. I don't know how the payscales compare to the rest of the US or Canada, though. Everything is normally relative. I never felt that I was overpaid, who does?;)

BobL43
08-28-2011, 05:45 AM
Well, the winds aren't good here. He has to drive through PA here, I'm not far from NY. He will connect onto, Interstate 75, and go to Atlanta. What a time to start a new job. He is a great kid, I don't know why I am so lucky to have someone like my kids. He said, mom I will call you every couple hours, and I said, i will be awake, and he said, " i know you will be." It doesn't matter how old or how big your kids get, they are still your babies. I still meticiously packed him stuff, like he was going to camp. He even said that. I was outside at midnight checking under the hood of a the car, like... I knew... what I was looking for. I filled up the wiper stuff, checked the oil yesterday, checked the tires yesterday, had the brakes checked yesterday, the mechanics are good, they put up with me, lol. They know, when I bring that car in, my kid is going somewhere. For if it was me, I could care less. I really like being a mom.

Cookie good luck in your son's travels.

wmills
08-28-2011, 07:30 AM
I know its later now lol, but unless he went down the coast he had no problems I am sure. Even my son on the coast weathered the storm with only minor damage to a fence. The power was shut down to prevent fires and other damage. In the central plains area where I am there was only some strong winds. Anyway hope all is well for everyone.

Cookie
08-28-2011, 11:04 AM
He got in a couple of hours ago, now is sleeping. That is a relief. The only thing I worry about honestly are the kids. Everything else falls by the wayside. I should never have a heart attack which would kill me. lol. My other son, the older son, brought back my jeep while the younger son took my other car. I need something for work, lol. As long as it has a roof ( incase of a hurricane) and tires that is all I need. I gave them both the cars, so I got to buy something at some point. I am thinking a mini-cooper, I love those cars they remind me of Mr. Bean. I would laugh everytime I got in it. Now, my older son brought over my grandson. Oh, boy he is a cutie, and is now holding onto things and walking. So, the candles off the coffee table had to go, the tv remote was an interesting item and Thomas, the young cat he loved. Ask Thomas how he feels, lol. OF course, since the neighbor's have been asking about my grandson, I made my older son walk over to them and we showed him off. My aged neighbor, whome I love more than I can say, started crying when he saw him. I love that man. It is ashame people got to get old but, then, dying young really sucks, eh. My older son wanted the drawings his dad did, he was actually, an architect by trade but, did nothing but electrical; and, as fate would have it, I couldn't find a one. I don't know where I put them. He did a wonderful drawing of an A-frame, he wanted to frame. I did find some aerial pictures of Sydney & Halifax, Nova Scotia where he worked and so he took those and going to frame them. They are wonderful. I will have to find the other drawings for him.. What I did find which was funny, was the old MRI's of my brain, lol. It showed an old brain lesion which turned out to be I found out a vascular malformation just recently. I asked him, if he wanted those, lol. I have no idea why he doesn't want to frame them. That is all I got to offer. ;) So, it is Sunday, and on this Sunday, once again, I feel so proud of both of my sons, I could gloat. :) I look at my older son's family, he has 3 sons, 2 he adopted, and, I just can't stop smiling. I am without a doubt the luckiest woman in the world.

I hope all is well for those with that storm. I looked outside to see if anything good had blown my way, ratz, nothing.

I love storms and stinkbugs.

Cookie
08-28-2011, 08:32 PM
LL,

Taxes are probably lower than yours in Montana, but I don't think that's where I want to live.

No Palace, as I wrote in response to one of Cookies posts. but the cost of living in the NY Metro area is extreme. I don't know how the payscales compare to the rest of the US or Canada, though. Everything is normally relative. I never felt that I was overpaid, who does?;)

It would be interesting to know how the prop taxes are done there, if separate always on land and structure, or both? How the laws play to it? And, lastly, if it is related to earnings? A comparision would be neat.

I know Ian sometimes doesn't understand how complicated the tax laws are and what is involved, it just isn't that simple. Especially, real estate law.

ballvalve
08-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Hope Ian got his marine batteries at wally-mart so he can return them, or get a few boats and chargers to maintain them.

I always add a second battery to my vehicles if I can find a place for one.

Ian Gills
08-29-2011, 01:56 PM
It's cheaper to buy a boat than a marine battery.

But I'll keep it for a "rainy day".

I'll connect my batteries in parallel. Should be fun.

ballvalve
08-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Keep them on a charger or they will die soon.

BobL43
09-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Lots of heavy rain here and strong winds, but the eye won't be here for a few more hours at 10 am. Several tornado watches have been posted in area. Over 250,000 have lost power here in burbs, so lots of BBQ's will be busy when its all over. YeeHa!

Anyway, at the moment, its a strong Tropical Storm here just under category 1 hurricane, which is much better than was predicted. Tons of rain. West Nile Mosquitos have been a big concern here this summer. SWATT!

Well, it is now 5 days after Irene, and there are STILL 78,000 homes on Long Island without power! I never lost mine, so I am very lucky.
Public service govt owned utility. My taxes at work. They had to import electrical service crews from around the country to do the repair work. somebody gave an estimate of 14 BILLION dollars to put the wires underground, so that will never happen. That would not fix/prevent it all either.
http://www.newsday.com/news/breaking/lipa-still-on-track-to-restore-most-outages-friday-1.3140160

Ian Gills
09-02-2011, 06:42 PM
It would fix it Bob but Americans are too cheap to do it.

We need to face facts. Countries that have buried their power lines have made outages a thing of the past.

England has had hurricanes like we have just had (rarely) and we don't lose power. I can't remember a power cut there for thirty years.

America is like Africa. The wind blows. The power goes.

And you can't stand to put your hand in your pocket to fix it.

That's cheap.

BobL43
09-02-2011, 07:48 PM
It would fix it Bob but Americans are too cheap to do it.

We need to face facts. Countries that have buried their power lines have made outages a thing of the past.

England has had hurricanes like we have just had (rarely) and we don't lose power. I can't remember a power cut there for thirty years.

America is like Africa. The wind blows. The power goes.

And you can't stand to put your hand in your pocket to fix it.

That's cheap.

Well to be honest with you, what DOES bother me with the overhead wiring is how ugly it is. A storm such as we had last weekend is not very often up here. Last big problem was in 1985 with Gloria. But personally, I WOULD be willing to pay some bucks to clear up the ugly mess. Between primary power, secondary power, cable TV, copper POTS telephone wires, Fiber optic cables, it is one big ugly mess. And then the kids thow pairs of sneakers tied together over the wires to decorate them.

Cookie
09-02-2011, 07:55 PM
I saw a pair of those sneakers once fall on the roof of the car in front of me, while sitting at a redlight. I could see him looking in the rear view mirror, the side mirrors, and then, trying to see the roof hanging out his window. It was one of the funnniest things to see. I guess he heard a "thump." I tried to tell him before the light changed but, he sped away too fast, with the shoes on the roof.

I'm waiting on a size 7, black stiletto's, I always look up...

... in my city, you could go shoe shopping off of the wires.

... when it is windy, go for a drive, you will come home with over a dozen pair.

Ian, it helps keep the cost down come school season. You say to your kids, " come on kids, we're going shoe shopping!"

You just can't do that if you bury the wires. Imagine, what you are proposing, think about all those barefoot people in the winter time in all that snow. They won't have any shoes.

Ian Gills
09-03-2011, 07:25 AM
Well, if we're being honest and having a heart-to-heart, I'll also drop what really bothers me about overhead cables in the United States of America.

Kites.

In England, you see the kids flying 'em everywhere. But I have yet to see anyone fly a kite in America, or even one being sold in a shop.

But then you can't fly kites when you have high voltage above your head. Can you?

BobL43
09-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Well, if we're being honest and having a heart-to-heart, I'll also drop what really bothers me about overhead cables in the United States of America.

Kites.

In England, you see the kids flying 'em everywhere. But I have yet to see anyone fly a kite in America, or even one being sold in a shop.

But then you can't fly kites when you have high voltage above your head. Can you?

Ben Franklin did it, and look what he discovered!:p

There are plenty of places all over the US to fly kites if you really want to. Maybe not in DC; what about London?

dlarrivee
09-03-2011, 01:08 PM

Kites.

You really are ignorant aren't you?

Cookie
09-03-2011, 01:31 PM
When my husband and I first dated we flew kites. When we had kids, we flew kites. The month to fly them in the east is March. If you see shoes hanging, that is not the area to fly a kite, but, then there are many areas to fly one. We also flew small remote controlled airplanes and didn't have a problem. We had alot of fun. Of course, now, my remote airplane had a little gunner in it. ;)