How to Remove a Broken Tub Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

riddle112880

Reaction score
While attempting to remove an old tub drain with a dumbbell wrench, the drain spindle broke. Does anyone know how to remove a tub drain with no spindle inside of it? Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I do this all the time. You use a Sawsall and 24 tooth blade very carefully. You cut the drain flange in 2-3 places through where the threads are but not cut the tub and as much of the flange as possible. Then pry up with a screwdriver until you can grab it with a pair of channel locks then back and fourth until it brakes. then there will be enough play to get the rest out. You have to be very carefull.
I'll bet I have done this 50-60 times on old tubs. I have only scratched 1 tub and that was very minor. I always get home owners permission first. I explane that I have no other way to do it and if I scratch anything I'm not responsible. If anyone knows a better way I'm all ears.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Ridgid model 342 internal pipe wrench

or this

pasco-drain-key.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

riddle112880

Reaction score
Job completed...Thanks!

I used a reciprocating saw as suggested and cut a 1/2 inch notch in the drain. After that I tapped the remaining threaded sides with a hammer and chisel. The drain loosened and I was able to unscrew it. Thanks for the advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks