PDA

View Full Version : Moen Posi-Temp 1222B Shower Cartridge

SteveMar
08-11-2011, 11:56 AM
In March 2011, we had our bathroom remodeled, and our new Moen shower fixture takes the 1222B cartridge. I know this because it leaked and I replaced it twice in the first month. I thought the third try would work out, but after four months the cartridge has again begun leaking and the tub spout is again dripping. I am sort of disgusted with this product, and am tired of replacing this over and over. I am using Moen parts, not aftermarket. My questions are--have others run into this sort of performance problem, and is there a better replacement product available than the 1222B? Thanks!

http://www.terrylove.com/images/moen1222.jpg

jadnashua
08-11-2011, 12:03 PM
It's possible that there is a scratch in the body, and no cartridge is going to last long. Have you talked to Moen? In most cases, they'll send you a free cartridge.

SteveMar
08-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Jim

Moen has sent me a couple free cartridges, and will probably send me another one in this instance. Free cartridge aside, it seems like a cartridge should be able to function correctly for more than 1-4 months.

jadnashua
08-11-2011, 02:09 PM
As mentioned, if there is a scratch in the body of the valve that the cartridge fits into, that can abraid the seals and they won't last long. The only fix on that is to replace the body and the cartridge. Make sure that if there isn't any silicon plumber's grease on the cartridge, you put some on before inserting the new one. This will make it both easier to insert and help it last a little longer.