Recurring shower head clog

Users who are viewing this thread

peabee

Reaction score
Hello, We are having a recurring problem with one of our shower head filters clogging up and requiring clearing approx. every week. It worked fine for a good 6 months. It's an 8" sunflower rainhead. It is one year old including the copper pipes (new throughout) which are run overhead in the crawlspace. Also, the adjacent toto gmax toilet is acting strange....when flushed there is a delay of a few seconds before the tank refills. When the cover was taken off we noticed quite an accumulation of rust colored sediment on the bottom. We inspected another bathroom close by and there is sediment in that tank as well but not as much. It is funtioning normal as is the shower head. These bathrooms are both just under a year old and the whole house was replumbed with copper at that time. Any ideas/suggestions appreciated. PB

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
shower

Someone else recently had a similar question and it turned out to be the resin from his softener was leaking into the water supply.........

peabee

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I don't have a water softener so that isn't it in my case.......more ideas? PB

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There was a recall on some brand of water heater...the dip tube was breaking up and clogging things. What color is the crud that is clogging the showerhead? Does it affect any other faucets? Try removing the strainers ona few faucets and seeing if there is similar stuff there. If the dip tube breaks up, the cold water mixes with the hot at the top of the tank and decreases the amount of hot water you can get out. Normally, that tube directs the incoming cold water to the bottom of the tank, leaving the hot water at the top to supply your fixtures.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
bingo dip tube

i agree. this was a huge recall years ago. on indication is warm ,not hot water

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks