location of bath ventilation fan

Users who are viewing this thread

Barrybpdx

Reaction score
i'm going to add a ventilation fan to my bathroom when i add a shower to the tub.
the tub/shower is enclosed on 3 1/2 sides with walls that go all the way to the ceiling. the bathroom is about 6 x 12.

the pipes to the upstairs bath are in the way of mounting the fan in the tub/shower ceiling. i suppose i could move them if needed.

but i'd rather just mount the fan in the ceiling outside the tub/shower, or even on the exterior wall.
but i'm worried that the moist air won't get drawn out of the shower/tub area - especially if the curtain is closed - unless the fan is in there.

comments please

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The better place for the fan is in front of the tub, and centered to the walls.

If the toilet is setting by the tub, it would center with the toilet, and then center to the walls front and back.

If you are thinking of a fan light combo, this is also the best spot for the light.
It makes for good reading on the throne, and lights the tub well without being overhead while you stand in the shower.

I'm not a fan of any electrical devices in the shower.

TheZster

Reaction score
The typical installation is just as described by Terry. Putting the fan over the shower/tub area requires a GFCI circuit as well as a fan rated for moist environments..... which the typical fan is not....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks