Installing a Toilet flange on porcelain tile floor

Users who are viewing this thread

motonutz123

Reaction score
I'm redoing my bathroom DIY except for the floor. I have a wooden subfloor that I will have porcelain tiles and backerboard installed on. Is it standard practice to mount the toilet flange on top of the tiles and drill holes through the tiles to the subfloor to fasten the flange or is a product like this a better choice http://www.set-rite.com/ ? Any suggestions or comments are appreciated. Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Before we get too far, when you say wooden floor, is that dimmensional planks, or plywood? You can't put cbu on dimmensional wood planks...you need at least 1/2" ply on top of it. The planks move too much. The ply is much more stable, and tile need stabile! Make sure to install the cbu in a fresh mortar (thinset) bed and tape the seams as indicated in the instructions.

The easiest way to handle the flange is to notch the tile before you lay it so you don't have to drill holes. You can drill, but you likely would need special bits (a diamond core bit probably works the best). You really do want the flange well attached to the subflooring. Check out www.johnbridge.com for help on tiling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks