Bathtub/shower drip

Users who are viewing this thread

Abe Cubbage

Reaction score
I am trying to stop my bathtub faucet from dripping. It's a 3 knob design and the drip is coming from the cold valve. The valves and washers are new. The valve seat for the cold side is deeply pitted. The valve seats have a square hole in the middle. The internet tells me that they can be removed with a valve seat wrench. However there only seems to be one size of valve seat wrench and the smallest size on the wrench is too large for the hole. The valve seat wrench only accommodates 3 sizes. A google search has not found a smaller size wrench.

Are there other sizes of valve seat wrenches, or is it likely that these seats can't be removed? Unfortunately I don't have a brand name.

I have tried to resurface the valve seat but it still drips.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Seat wrenches are made to fit all.

Attachments

• download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 479

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are tapered seat wrenches which fit ANY size seat. It may be a Price Pfister faucet, and if so, and if I had repaired it, I would have thown the stems and washers in my brass box and upgraded it to the "lifetime" ceramic seals. If you do NOT know the brand name, HOW did you "replace the valves" because they are make and model specific?

Last edited:

Abe Cubbage

Reaction score
@hj I did not replace the valves, someone else did. It's a long story that is not relevant.

@cwhyu2 Yes, that looks just like the wrench I bought. The smallest part of the wrench is too large to fit in the valve seat hole.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
We...meaning not only myself but especially some of the more wizened folks....are quite familiar with a wide range of 3 handle valves. It would be quite improbable that the seat wrench did not fit. Notice I didn't say IMPOSSIBLE becasue in plumbing, there is an exception to every rule!

But one suggestion: is it possible that rather than to big, the seat wrench simply bottoms out at the back of the valve before it engages the square hole?? For PP, we carry a seat wrench with about 1/2" ground off, for just that reason.

Could you post a picture of your handles and the stem??

Abe Cubbage

Reaction score
It's not bottoming out. The round hole that the wrench goes through is big enough to allow the wrench to make it to the square hole. I will post pictures.

*edit* I mean the wrench will not make it past the valve seat.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The standard tool will remove the seat.
If it bottoms out, you can hack saw off the end of the tool.

pp-faucet-seat.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks