Toilet not bolted down

Users who are viewing this thread

Joerunner89

Reaction score
I moved into a new construction home last month. I noticed today, after knocking the caps off, that the toilet is not bolted down. I called the plumber who did my house. His explanation was that the rough in was done incorrectly and was only 10.5 inches, not the required 12 from the wall. The toilet that was used did not come in a 10 inch, so rather than break up the concrete, they just used caulk to hold it down, rather than the flange bolts. Couple of questions. First, is the caulk sufficient to hold the toilet in place by itself? (plumber claims that the bolts do nothing to hold the toilet down). Second, if the flange is off by 1.5 inches, will there be a problem with the toilet (I think it's called horn) not lining up with the plumbing underneath it? (Sorry, don't know the technical terms). Any advise would be helpful.

Reaction score
Website
www.obamatheplumber.com
It doesn't sound good to me.
The bolt holes are centered to the drain, and he's moved it back so far that he couldn't even use the bolts?
I would expect problems with that later on with the outlet of the bowl and the drain not matching up. It could start clogging.

The drain is in the wrong place for that bowl. Remove the toilet, and get one that fits. It's that simple.
And yes, the bolts do make a difference, however, he may have glued your bowl down, which makes clearing a clog nearly if not impossible.

It's not your fault that the framer or plumber missed. They do make toilets for that situation. I can't believe he would glue a bowl to the floor that isn't even lined up. Wow!
But I want you to know, that Obama cares.
Get him to fix it.

If he says he can't, just say,

"Yes you can."

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Toto makes some toilets that when used with one of their special Unifit adapters, will fit a 10" rough in. They are very nice attractove toilets and work very well, but they are not the least expensive ones in the Toto line. You can see them and read about them elsewhere on this site. Toto is the only manufacturer that makes these adapters. There are 10" rough in toilets available, but the selection is pretty slim, and the quality is not the best either. I would question the qualifications of a plumber who would just fasten a toilet down with caulk and leave it. It sounds more like a handyman special to me.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
American Standard has a Cadet 3 with 10" tank.

Toto has the 10" Drake, CST744EF.10
The Drake uses a 10" bowl.

There are choices in 10"

SamC

Reaction score
Is there some building code not being met here? Would an inspection be in order?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is no code that reads that there can only be a 12" rough.

Sometimes mistakes happen. But when they do, then you have the option of buying the right bowl and tank to fix it.
Moving the bowl off center from the drain, well maybe that is a building code problem. The toilet should drain into the plumbing. Offsetting the drain wouldn't pass any plumbing inspection that I'm aware of.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; First, is the caulk sufficient to hold the toilet in place by itself? (plumber claims that the bolts do nothing to hold the toilet down). Second, if the flange is off by 1.5 inches, will there be a problem with the toilet

Caulk will NEVER secure the toilet properly, and the BOLTS DO HOLD THE TOILET down. In fact they are the ONLY things that secure it. IF they pulled the toilet forward 1 1/2" there is a good possiblity that the toilet opening is NOT over the pipe. Your plumber could not dazzle you with his brilliance, to he tried to baffle you with B.S. He either had to furnish you with a toilet that DOES come in a 10" model, or open the floor and relocate the pipe. The only toilets which do NOT come in a 10" version are the Home Depot "blue light specials" for $39.99.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks