Toto ecodrake not filling

Users who are viewing this thread

dunstergirl

Reaction score
Has anyone ever disassembled the innards of a Toto tank?

Crap in my water has created a clog somewhere in the works so that it no longer fills (no water comes out of the fill tube).

This is an Eco Drake (the unit inside the tank is green).

Before I take it apart I'm wondering if others have experienced this and if there are other solutions.

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Toto uses a couple of different fill valves...one is repairable, the other is not. If the top of yours has a plastic screw slot, it is not repairable. the other style (made for them by Korky) is.

But, first, make sure you are not using a Watts, Flood-safe hose. Those can trigger and shut off the water and are best relegated to the trash dump.

dunstergirl

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Mine is the non-repairable type, pretty cheesy plastic thing, BUT what I did today was take it out of the tank and wash it really well (mostly the outside but ran water into the intake end, shook things around, etc., nothing to lose), blew into the place the water is supposed to come out in case that helped blow the crap back out the intake end, found some gunk (silt I think) in the intake end I was able to mostly clean out with Q-tips, and by the time I was done was able to get water flowing through it (just running water from the kitchen sink into the intake end and it was coming out the place it was supposed to - sorry I don't know all the technical terms).

So I put it back in and reconnected everything (flushed the water line first) and VOILA, we're filling again and not slowly.

This might help others who have had a similar problem.

I could have just bought another fill valve but I live a long way from anywhere so it would have taken time and who knows how many phone calls to get one, so I'm glad this worked.

I already knew the Toto was prone to this as I got a cracked tank (hairline) the first time around but took long enough to replace it that I noticed the slowdown in the fill over time and figured it had to do with my silty water (spring only, but enough). So I had a whole-house water filter installed before putting in the new tank (lived for 18 years with silty water in the spring and it took a toilet to force me to install the water filter, but I'm glad I did). Everything has been good for a year now until I screwed up yesterday.

Also I have a neighbour with a Toto with the same problem, slowdown of the fill over time, little bits of silt or whatever sure mess it up.

My mistake yesterday was pulling that water filter to save it while I was priming the pump after a water issue as it is usually very muddy (surface water supply) when I've just had to clean up the intake from the creek - a little bit of (very) muddy water in the line was all it took.

I'd highly recommend that anyone with dubious water supplies installing a Toto (esp. surface water or anything else with sediment or other crap in it) install a filter (either whole house or just on the toilet supply line) to avoid this issue.

Otherwise after a year and a half I absolutely LOVE my Toto, and so does my teenage daughter, who until we put it in was mortified when friends came over by the old low-flow that you had to flush sometimes 3 times or more before things vanished.

Cheers,
Lelani

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks