Weird toilet clog - please help

Users who are viewing this thread

help

Reaction score
I'm having trouble with my toilet. I've always had a bad reputation for using too much toilet paper, and the toilet clogged about a month ago. I got the plunger, took care of it, no problem. This was a new toilet, and the first time it clogged.

But - since that time, I've had a persistent problem. I'm so determined to avoid another clog that sometimes I'll give the toilet a flush right after I'm done going, *before* I even use any paper. And it still clogs!

Maybe clogs isn't the right word, but it doesn't drain properly. Instead of a forceful WHOOOSH, the water drains very slowly and sort of laps gently at the bottom. Then when I flush again, the water rises very high and then stops before it overflows, but it doesn't drain.

I can't stress enough that this is before I use any paper, so it's not that I'm using too much of it. This is happening about once a week since the initial clog. Not every time I go, but too often, obviously. It probably sounds funny, but it's getting to be a real pain. What can I do?

help

Reaction score
I should probably have mentioned, the toilet is a Kohler K-3427.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, my motto with lo-flush toilets is "flush early and flush often" but it seems this is not your only problem. There is a difference in what brand of paper you use. That subject has been widelyh debated.

But you seem to have a line blockage. You might have to pull the toilet to ensure that there is no problem with wax or the polysleeve out of position.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You have something in the trapway of the toilet that is slowing things down.

It could be a toothbrush, a comb, even left over paper that hasn't cleared.

If plunging doesn't work, or pouring a bucket of water through, you may need to use a closet auger and see if you can either push or pull the object out.
Sometimes removing the toilet is needed to remove things from the very bottom.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
clog

Before you pull the toilet, barrow or buy a good closet auger and use it.
Don't force it but work it to the right and to the left with slight pressure to start with and then with more pressure till you get through the stoppage.

If it's a comb or a pen or a tooth brush it will come out.

It could also be a very pasty b.m. and there still could be part of it still in there........

Jeffreyhel

Reaction score
switch to a Toto g-max series toilet if you find no problems with the toilet. Costs alot more but a much better flush.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Not that I'm a plumber, but I have had the bad paper experience twice at the same house in 4 years. Before that I never had to vacuum a tank. The second time having it pumped the pumper guy (for the lack of a better word) said I was using charmin paper. I asked the wife, yup it was charmin. It doesn't disolve.

It may not be just the pipes, wax ring etc. but the tank filling with paper near the inlet of the tank (it also floats). That is if you have a septic tank.

I now use paper stolen from off brand gas stations. I know that stuff will disolve fast. The sand they build into the paper helps break it down.

bob...

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Taking paper from gas stations.

Man! I dunt kwno if you should be dew'in that.
But now I'm like curious george the monkey.

How does you take the paper and is it good for you?

Do you have to watch out for tall men waring yallor hats wehn you'r e taking it?

Speedbump

Reaction score
Oh all rite, I'll fess up, the wife is just buying a cheaper brand.

The pumper guy told me to buy paper and test it by putting it in a glass of water to see if it will break down. This new brand does. I am trying not to have an ever going friendship with this pumper guy in my front yard every couple of years.

bob...

Jeffreyhel

Reaction score
army1.jpg

Q-tips are famous for clogging toilets. It only takes 1. Do you have anything on top of the tank or shelves above missing caps, lids etc. Did you have kids over right before the problem started. I love the holidays. Kids think the toilet is a really kool thing when the little plastic army men whoosh around and around when they go down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Wierd plug.

Friday I pulled a paper holder rod out of a trapway.
The spring in the middle worked real well at jamming tight in the middle somewhere.

I had to pull the toilet and run an auger from the outlet and push it back from where it came from.

I've also had to do the same thing with bars of soap.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
wierd

Terry have you ever tied string to large nut on one end of the string and a rag go the other end with another string on the rag and turned the toilet over 360 degrees, grabbed the nut and pulled the rag back and forth to get an obstruction out?

Boy that soap can get real sticky too, can't it.
Have used a heat gun to soften up a jammed plastic item.

You bet, many times you have to pull that darned toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks