Help, need help before Tuesday! Sorry this is long!

Users who are viewing this thread

Annaceil333

Reaction score
Had a new stool installed on Thursday about 11:00 a.m. I could hear throughout the day, every now and then, the sound of the tank filling a little bit. I figured that when my hubby got in from out of town, I would ask him to adjust the thing in the tank-I thought maybe the flapper was not set correctly...I do not know toilets!

Friday morning about noon, I noticed the carpet was wet in the adjoining bedroom, I pulled the corner and it saturated. I called the plumber and said there was a leak somewhere. He came by and tightened one of the bolts. This stool has 3 on the bottom of the tank and one was loose. So, that is why the tank was filling a little every now and then. I showed him the wet carpeting and he said the tank could not have leak enough in 1 day to have the water run under the 6 foot vanity, or under the ceramic tile.

I asked several times if there could be an issue with the wax ring. He assured me that is fine-he did not do the work one of his guys did. After he drove away my son and I saw water seeping up from under the laminate hardwood flooring-3 feet out from the bathroom threshold. So, we took that up and the pad was like a wet sponge. The plumber came back and he says we have to have leak somewhere else. He checked the water meter outside and it was not moving.

Where do we go from here? That does seem like an extreme amount of water from a little toilet tank leak. Could the water be running under the tile? He suggested that we both shower this a.m....and then I filled the tub twice and set it to drain slow. The plumber suggested that we had a leak in the tub drain. We did not see any water since.

Help, any ides?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You need to dry everything out and confirm whether there is still a leak or not.

The plumber you hired seems to be giving you "the run around". At this point, it sounds like you already have water damage that could end up getting expensive. If it is the wax ring leaking, it should only leak when the toilet is flushed.

Annaceil333

Reaction score
Well, I don't feel real good about the plumber at this point. There was a leak from one of the bolts not being tight enough-could that much water run? It must have gone under the vanity which is 5 to 6 feet long, under the threshold into the corner of the 2nd bedroom and under the pretend wood floor?

Where are you from in Wisc.? I grew up around Appleton.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Let's eliminate a couple of things. It's not the flapper. If that was not seating, water would just escape into the toilet bowl and the tank would keep refilling. Not likely the wax ring as there is no water present in the flange unless the toilet is flushed. If it was a tank bolt leaking, it should be apparent. I'm going to take a somewhat wild guess. Did you install an American Standard toilet and if so, was it from a Big Box Store? AS has very poor quality control resulting in a very high percent returns. My guess is you have one of these that has a cracked tank or perhaps a plugged hole that is leaking water. Many of the pro plumbers on this forum either do not install AS or do not guarantee them if they do install them. AS or not, I am betting on a defective toilet that should be returned to the dealer. Next time, buy a Toto.

Annaceil333

Reaction score
Well, the stool is a Kohler-which I thought was an okay brand-there was a loose bolt on the tank...but that still doesn't seem like it would drip enough water for that type of water damage.
Could it have dripped enough water as described in the email?
Thanks!

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes it definetley could have leaked that much water. Has the fill valve stopped continually going on and off now? If so then the water was not going past the flapper so all that water must have leaked through the loose bolt onto the floor.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There is only one thing that matters at this point, and that is whether or not there is still a leak somewhere.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. the tank bolt was leaking, but no one seems to know how MUCH was leaking.
2. the water WOULD have gotten under the flooring.
3. The water may continue to appear until it dissipates, even if there is no longer a leak.
4. If the water continues to come up through the floor, that might indicate an additional leak. Which COULD be the wax seal.
5. was this a REAL plumber. or someone who just DOES plumbing?

Annaceil333

Reaction score
This was installed by a plumber who "picked up the call" from a large store-that arranges for installation. We paid for installation-so I would think the large box store has some liability. So, depending on what happens Tuesday, I will call them and see what they say.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks