View Full Version : New sink install, not draining, garburator blows water up the 2nd sink

06-23-2011, 09:20 AM
I've attached a picture, we installed the new sink as part of a kitchen reno, new cupboards mostly. It drained fine but occasionally when i ran the garburator water and bits of food would blow up the second sink.

last night the sinks stopped draining altogether, i pulled off the whole bottom part from the garuburator, sink and cross pipe at the flexible connector and nothing was plugged, i blew into the cross pipe and it didn't seem blocked.

Any thoughts on what this could be? I'm assuming that the water is not draining into the stack which is about 9 inches to the right of what you can see in this picture. this is the only thing that goes into the stack so i can test it at another sink etc...

any thoughts?


06-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Is that a Standard Tee, or a Baffle Tee at the intersection of from the disposal? AFAIK It needs a Baffle Tee to prevent upward splashing and movement of water/junk from the pump effect of the disposal...my guess anyway. There are also brass baffle tees that provide a bit more clearance if it is clogging - I found help on here for that a few years ago!

06-30-2011, 12:03 PM
How old is your disposer?
I haven't installed a 333 in years.

To prevent stuff from flying up at you from the second bowl, you can use a baffle tee.
You may need to snake the drain if there is nothing in the pipes that we see.
Sometimes old disposers will shred fairly long strands that can clog. when the blades start to dull.

Tom Sawyer
06-30-2011, 12:08 PM
That straight shot out of the disposer ain't helping things either. They normally turn down

07-01-2011, 05:39 AM
quote; That straight shot out of the disposer ain't helping things either

That is about the only way I have EVER installed a disposer drain. The tee, and trap, is too high, it is the wrong tee, the dishwasher connection does NOT appear to have a "U" bend in it, and you have created an "S" trap with that angled section going down to the wall. But your real problem appears to be a plugged drain line in the wall. I think the "Badger 333" is a Home Depot model, not a plumber's version.