$1,200 Estimate for bathtub fixtures replacement?

Users who are viewing this thread

hol5

Reaction score
Property is in North NJ, estimate includes labor and (cheap) parts.

Replacing 2 handle bath fixture to 1 (plumber said 99% of time if you try to replace 2 handle fixture with another 2 handle fixture, stem will break, so 1 handle is the only way to go), thus need to break the wall, entry only via the front.

Using a cheap Moen kit ($89 @ Wal-Mart), includes handle, bath faucet, shower and valve.

No retiling since the 1 handle fixture will be large enough to cover both holes created by 2 handle.

Is the price in line? Thanks for all help in advance.

PS Also, any suggestions to find reviews on bathtub fixture kits? I prefer standard (for easy future upgrades), sturdy, good price, with aesthetics only secondary.

I've looked online but many have minimal reviews and viewpoints looks more like a sale-site as actual review site, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Maybe a 3-4 hour job.

I use a remodel plate like this to replace a two or three handle valve.
If your plumber says he can install a Moen without the plate, he knows something the rest of us don't.
And making mad money too.

attachment.php

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't understand the comment about breaking the stem.

Your two handle fixture , if it is a common brand and otherwise in good shape, will be easily repairable for the forseeable future.

If you want or need to replace the valve, it would be easier, and better, to do it with a one handle valve plus the "remodel plate" shown by Terry.

A good valve with trim would cost anywhere from $90 to a couple hundred. The total bill seems a little high, but this job does involve a lot of work an care not to unnecessarily damage the tile, and to end up still water tight!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It takes some skill and the proper tools to cut the tile so you have enough room to access the pipes to replace the valve. But, it isn't that big a deal if you do. I did exactly this for my mother awhile ago. Would have gone quicker, but once I had the hole cut, found that the wall below it was all rotten and then had to rebuild part of it - not so easy from the front only! So, that plumber may have a really big contingency buffer in his quote, but no knowing the prevailing labor rates where you are, it's hard to tell. That can range from $75 - $150/hr more, or less. Where I live, last work I had done, it cost me about $115/hr (master and assistant).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks