gpm water flow in 1/4 inch pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

sorbate

Reaction score
I was wondering what the flow rate for 1/4" copper pipe was. I want to build a heat exchanger and need to know the flow rate. I tried to look it up on the net with no luck. Thanks

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tube

First we would have to know how you are measuring the tubing. Small sizes of copper tubing are ofter referred to by their o.d., in which case your 1/4" copper would be 1/8" plumbing size, rather than plumbing 1/4" which is 3/8" o.d. Next, the pressure is a determining factor, as is the total length including the allowance for bends. Without all those factors you cannot even approximate the flow, although you can be sure it is very little. Normally heat exchangers with those small tubes use a large mainifold with fairly short lengths of the small tubing between them.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks