Service water line entrance "Split entrance" house, slab floor...

Users who are viewing this thread

EltonT

Reaction score
I live in the Seattle area and I have a split entrance home which quite common in this area.

My service line has broken again, first time was a tree root. I am going to start the dig tomorrow to see if it is the same leak again. If it is, then I have to run a new line as we were unable to remove the trunk and root system as someone in the past planted a fir tree right on top of the water line. We can't root it out as that section of the property is used by the neighborhood utilities and all of the lines run under tree.

How do I find out where the service line entrance for the house is? The shut off valve sits about 3/4 of the way into the garage, and the line runs underneath the poured slab floor. I can see that the pipe runs up from the floor, but is it a good guess that it runs straight across to the outside. If so this would put the entrance where the utilities, phone, gas, electric are stationed.

Any help would be great.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
It is called call before you dig! Contact your local utility company!
1-800-424-5555
This is the number for your area.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Many times on slab homes in that area, the soft copper was laid out of the garage past the foundation and aimed towards the water meter as it left the foundation.
You can try witching for the pipe with a coat hanger. Anything installed in the 70's and later was most likely the black poly pipe.

I look pale as a ghost here. I had just lost 45 pounds and was on pain killers.
I think I need to reshoot this. My avatar picture at the left was taken a few months later in the Summer when I had put back 40 pounds. There was a little surgical error in February of that year.

[video=youtube;UBXmqzBs-ng]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBXmqzBs-ng[/video]

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the tree roots are breaking the pipe, then I assume it is PVC plastic because a metal pipe would not be affected by them. If so, NOTHING will locate its route, although "witching", or even guessing, might give a reasonable route.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks