Using 1 1/2" drain pipe in condo

Users who are viewing this thread

andywc

Reaction score
I want to replace the bath with a walk-in shower in my Condo. This will re-use the drain as a floor drain for the shower.

The existing piping in 1 1/2" and I cannot change that as that would require touching the central drain and my downstairs neighbors ceiling, and the board will not allow that.

In Arlington County, Virginia the IPC 2000 has to be followed. This states that the shower waste outlet has to be 2" (417.3). However, code 709.1 says that I can use a 1 1/2" trap with a shower.

Would it be code compliant to use a 2" shower drain connected to a 1 1/2" trap and drain pipe?

Anyone know or had this problem?

Jeffreyhel

Reaction score
I can't speek for IPC since here in NJ we use a different code but here in NJ it MUST be 2".

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm just a DIYer, but it is my understanding that you should never reduce the size of a drain. In other words, stay 1-1/2" all the way to the main drain. Ideally, a shower should have a 2" drain, but in reality, many showers work just fine with 1-1/2". This fact of course will not impress a code inspector, so you should check with your local authorities to see what they will/will not allow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks